How far would Royce Gracie have gone in a 1993 IBJF WC?

Judochopatemi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible to estimate without a professional circuit? What round do you see him stopped?

Last edited:
I guess you're attempting to refer to the IBJJF Mundials, which first happened in 1996. I'm not aware if the complete brackets are available anywhere on the interwebs, but assuming he fights at -82kg I wouldn't give him much of a chance against Gordo or Jamelao who got gold and silver.

I guess you're attempting to refer to the IBJJF Mundials, which first happened in 1996. I'm not aware if the complete brackets are available anywhere on the interwebs, but assuming he fights at -82kg I wouldn't give him much of a chance against Gordo or Jamelao who got gold and silver.

I don't either. I'm curios if he reaches even the third round.

Doesnt even make it out of the first round imo. Amazing vale tudo fighter but as a tournament gi guy he was mediocre at best. Roger is obviously the best gracie in bjj/sub tournaments, but royler is second.

Doesnt even make it out of the first round imo. Amazing vale tudo fighter but as a tournament gi guy he was mediocre at best. Roger is obviously the best gracie in bjj/sub tournaments, but royler is second.

How de we know he was mediocre if we don't know the average level of hypothethical competitors back then?

Any theory on why, given how much he trained and competed?
I just think he wasn’t that physically gifted and I don’t think he had the killers around him as he grew up to train with that people like Wallid Ismaili did at BTT. Royce was def TOUGH and had heart . I think he may have had done better training at different academy too . His Bjj was real old school and didn’t focus on tournaments also . It was more “ street “ oriented .

I just think he wasn’t that physically gifted and I don’t think he had the killers around him as he grew up to train with that people like Wallid Ismaili did at BTT. Royce was def TOUGH and had heart . I think he may have had done better training at different academy too . His Bjj was real old school and didn’t focus on tournaments also . It was more “ street “ oriented .

I agree. Royce had a talent for integrating his BJJ against strikers. The first ones he met didn't do anything but Keith Hackney was tough, and with a wrestling bakgrund. Royce also had an iron jaw. I could see why they picked him for UFC 1.

But I don't get why he was selected for the Kimura-Helio anniversary match... Which was a grappling match consisting of similar rules as the Helio-Kimura match. He had to change it to MMA to win the rematch against Yoshida

Last edited:
Back