How far has the sport really evolved? Who would win between Prime BJ Penn and Edson Barboza?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Just as an example.

Breaking down the fight technically, who would win?

Edson+Barboza+Liver+Kicks+Evan+Dunham+UFN+Cerrone+vs+Miller.gif

bj-penn-o.gif

I'm no Penn fan but glass chin Barboza? He'd get reck'd

Prime Penn aka his LW title run, would still give hell to any 155'er on earth. As a whole MMA has evolved; some guys were just THAT good that they could fight in different era's and still have success.

You know the expression " Ahead of their time"?
BJ Penn is an example of that expression.

Holy shit I just realized Evan Dunham is 34 now. I remember when he was still a young prospect. Anyways, Prime BJ taps Barboza 1st round RNC

Prime BJ Could be top 10, but he would never get close to the title in today's LW division.

This would not even be close bj would strangle him.

bj bj bj bj bj

there is no light weight past or present that i would pick to beat a prime bj.

minus the stupid fucking decision that happened during the first penn vs edgar fight.

BJ Penn had a great jab, he would drop Barboza with a jab just like Cerrone did and get the RNC.

MMA isn't a sport, it's taken from established sports. MMA cannot evolve, only the fighters can.

wtf why would you compare prime BJ Penn with Barbosa of all fighters when RDA is the champ?

Prime Penn was still smashing guys at lw not THAT long ago. I would rank him as the third best current lw right behind rda and khabib. I think those two give him problems but he most likely beats everyone else

wtf why would you compare prime BJ Penn with Barbosa of all fighters when RDA is the champ?
Because Barboza is kind of "entry to top 10" in the current landscape,

Yes fighters have gotten more well rounded over time, and yes Penn would beat the hell out of Barboza in his prime.

Dunno about this fight but look at who Penn defended the belt against. LW was a kiddy pool compared to now.

Uh, did you watch BJ Penn in his prime? Because prime BJ Penn would beat anyone that has ever fought at Lightweight outside of Frankie Edgar, yes I said it, anyone including RDA, Conor, Pettis, Bendo, Cowboy, you name them, prime BJ Penn would beat them.

Prime BJ under the Marinovich's was an animal, the dude had a great jab, fantastic boxing, he had relentless cardio, and he was even throwing flying knees and headkicks when you combine that with BJ's iron chin, world class ground game and TDD that BJ Penn was one of the very best fighters to ever live.

Prime BJ Penn was truly the perfect fighter, he was like TRT Vitor he was a God amongst mere men, shame BJ didn't stay with them.

Back