How effective do you feel UFC 228 was in helping UFC recover from wrecked fights?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by emax, Sep 9, 2018.

1. emax Black Belt

UFC 228 and previous cards have seen numerous high profile fights wrecked, often with less than a week's notice. 2018 seems to be among the top 2-3 worst years for wrecked fights and there's been speculation that the UFC is ill equipped to cope with it, particularly with the challenges the new USADA rules have placed.

TO what extent do you think the fights we did get in UFC 228 showed there is still vitality for the organization and there are still title holders and future contenders to get behind? How much of a success was UFC 228 in showing that MMA can still, at the premier level, find a way around the difficulties imposed by the new training and safety regulations? It seems that it can be virtually impossible to be optimistic when even the grittiest and most passionate of fighters, such as Whittaker, Cormier, Dillashaw and others are fighting 1-2 times a year when prominent guys used to fight minimum 3 a year or more. I often wonder if 9 month or longer breaks between fights make it too hard to maintain excitement.

2. VVarhead Bullet Belt

Yair pulled out of the Zabit fight and the event was still held under the old rules.

No card stays intact nowadays and MMA is still a bush league sport.

3. Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

For an absolute DISASTER of a card (on paper), it more than delivered with the actual fights and finishes.

4. Moral Victory Black Belt

I don't know, but I'm slowly becoming a casual.

In the end I'll probably just look up fights after they happened, and be a much happier person.

5. AZZA B Green Belt

It always sucks when big name fights fall off a card but today is a perfect example of not being about the name of the fighter, its about the way they fight. Look at Derrick Lewis vs Francis Ngannou, big name fight between top 5 HW, I was pumped for that fight and they both did nothing!!!

6. FleximusPrime I'm a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus

Not true, they circled around each other for 15 minutes showcasing their shadowboxing skills, very high end stuff.

7. AZZA B Green Belt

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

8. Nabs Brown Belt

I always love it when the cards filled w no names end up delivering more than the ones full of "stars". UFC 228 delivered the goods from top to bottom. I think Dodson-Rivera was the only dud. I think there needs to be a healthy balance bw promoting the sport and the stars within it. Once MMA orgs figure out what that balance is, they'll be in a much better place.