How "dropped" was Anderson?

phatty

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to ask this on an already existing thread (like the GIF one,) it seems like one can never get opinions if they join a thread after the first page. That's one of the problems I think with forums these days... people just keep appending without reading the full thread so ppl like me who want replies resort to new threads.

So anyway I replayed the GIF a few times. Yes I am an Anderson fan boy and can't help looking for + spins on anything he does BUT I'm open to at least reading other opinions. Seems to have gone down like this... Bisping throws a left, Silva sees it coming leans back and tries to counter with a wide swinging right. Bisings punch clips (I think a glancing blow) Silva's right ear. The combination of this strike, the momentum from Silva's missed right AND the fact that Bisiping's leg is crossed with his causes Silva to go off balance. He is returning to position and sees Bisping's right coming, twists his torso to put his left shoulder forward and block Bisping's strike with his left arm, which he succeeds in doing but has now left himself with his legs (I don't know the correct term but essentially in a position facing Bisping in a "ready to sit down" bad stance.) Bisping's left catches him, it's not a hard punch but it sits him down/causes him to fall on his ass. He seems to be completely aware and does not lose eye contact with Bisping. He throws a nice up-kick attempt as Bisping comes in; in fact it's about half a second to quick, it might have landed and done damage otherwise! Bisping is well controlled in Anderson's guard. The commentators are going nuts but really Bisping isn't landing anything except to the canvas. So essentially a very good exchange where I don't really see mistakes per se just Bisping getting the better of it BUT without delivering anything close to Anderson even momentarily going out.

Didn't read?

Last edited:
I think Anderson is just at the age where certain punches will make him go weak in the knees.

Don't think he was particularly shook by it (rocked) as he seems to react to bisping coming in pretty quickly

They say once you have a cold knockout, your chin never recovers like before.
It happened to Gray Maynard
It happened to Keith Jardine
It happened to Roy Nelson
It happened to Nogueira
It happened to Jon Fitch

Weidman vs Silva 1 changed the future of Anderson Silva's chin.

I dunno I question whether his knees went weak at all. During that exchange there are 2 times that look like it... I'm saying the fist one seems more of a case of momentum from Silva's missed right and from his leg being crossed with Bispings. The second when he took Bisping's left he was out of stance square to him... if you stand like that in front of anyone even a poke to the chest will cause them to land on their ass!

He was hit well enough to momentarily lose the ability to stand.

Honestly I don't think he was rovked because he kept playing with his hands down. When Weidman rocked him in the second fight he had his hands high not even taunting. Silva's stance is usually low hands but the second Weidman fight he corrected that.

Watching the slow mo replay right now on my 60" screen.

It made Anderson go cross-eyed for a sec.

Solid, 'flash' knock-down that Anderson recovered from quickly.

zzrvp.jpg

Appreciate this more than the other dummy replies. I only looked at GIF and couldn't see what you are describing. Like I said it looks to me more like he is in the wrong position where the lightest blow would make a person in that postion fall on their asses. You are saying though you saw the eyes go and that answers my question!

He was ready for the upkick immediately so not that rocked from that perspective.

how many levels of being "dropped" are there?

Anderson went crossed eyes for a sec and buckled at the legs. That's a knockdown in my book.

How does one quantify the various levels of "dropped"? He was dropped like my pants when I feel diarrhea coming—quick, effectively, but temporarily.

Andy loves getting clipped by left hooks

Anderson swinging that wild lead right hook was bound to get him into trouble.

Unusually sloppy for a guy like him.

Common sense tells me that since he easily went the 5 rounds he was not "dropped" that bad lol what does that even mean

Bispings punches were missing but the gusts of wind were making Anderson do the chicken dance. If anything decent lands on his chin these days he is not going to have a very good day, he needs to hang em up.

Back