Media How Don Frye Got Into MMA

fullspar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good insight into Don Frye telling his story on how he got into MMA, its quite amusing

Cliffs
- Had to change name due to contractual issues with his trainer
- Started wrestling in high school, then Boxing after College
- College wrestling gave him an ego
- Worked doing odd jobs, working on horses, became fireman, went back to work on horses and in a mental hospital
- Started doing Judo, cause he needed something to do, still walking around with an erection
- Joined a Fire Department in Arizona, watching TV and saw Dan Severn fight, called him up and asked to get in on the UFC
- Started warehouse fighting No Holds Barred

Last edited:
Was it only because of the money even though he 100% hated fighting in every way but had no other choices in life? That's what I'm told around here about all fighters.

Frye is the man. Some of most exciting fights in mma history have come from him.
He even gave a story that some troops told him one time on a camp visit that before they went out for combat they sometimes say "let's watch some Don Frye fights"

c2b10552a78feae6c75d515e0d5831a1.jpg
DEGJwzUXUAA1UB5.jpeg

One of the first fights I saw, besides random Ken Shamrock fights, was Frye vs Takayama. That was completely awesome to watch and also sorta ruined MMA for a little while because I expected all the fights to be like that.

Was it only because of the money even though he 100% hated fighting in every way but had no other choices in life? That's what I'm told around here about all fighters.
Possibly, I haven't watch the full interview but it does elude to being broke, cant afford to live in Santa Fe, moving around doing odd jobs, working on horses for 5 bucks a horse.

Too bad he never fought Mo. At least Don won the verbal fight with him

Don seems like a chill dude. But breathing heavy just from talking, eh? Some breath work and some cardio would do him wonders.

Odd that he was trying to sell fights for himself though, right before he listed the many obvious reasons why he couldn’t possibly do it. Not to mention the mental deterioration, it was kind of sad because Dan Severn is still with it (same era different approach). That legendary fight where he made the guy cry blood in Pride had to be one of the best moments ever. Don Frye will always be the man though, the Tom Selleck of mma.

Don Frye is man of man

Back