How does this strength and conditioning program look?

Bright5086200

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok guys. Just wanted some opinions about this. I made it up today. Trying to get ready for both football and wrestling. My cardio stinks though and thats what im trying to focus on while also on speed work.

I weigh 168. Height is 5 foot 8. Bench: 300. Squat: 335. Deadlift: 350.

MONDAY
Morning: OFF
Evening: weight training

I don't like the split.

Why don't you do a program like starting strength or a 5x5 and do it two days a week, or even 3? I do wrestling and BJJ during the week too, but I still do 3 days a week of weightlifting. Not saying this is the best for you, but as far as sports performance goes, I think you might be better off focusing on movements, like a push/pull/squat, or a full body routine.

EDIT: Good lifts by the way.

thanks man. Would this look better???

Monday- Push (all pushing movements (progressive resistance week by week))

Tuesday- Football passing league (with conditioner at the end)

Wednesday- Wrestling (with burpee variation/hills for conditioning)

Thursday- OFF (or a light active jog)

Friday- Pull (all pulling movements (progressive resistance week by week))

Saturday- Hard High intensity cardio/circuit training ( just a hard cardio day)

Sunday- Staying active light jog ( nothing hard, just staying active)

Does this sound better. I like the push/pull. I also like that i have pretty much 2 rest days. would it be alright if i ran like 5 times a week in the morning. Like a light jog just to get my heart rate up. I believe this will keep me more fit if i do this rather than laying on my couch and watching movies all morning until i actaully have to work out.

Thanks man :) Im 17 btw

Youre missing the legs in your second routine. A typical split will be pull/push/legs and each have their own day. If you cant afford 3 days, id recommend just doing full body twice a week. Make sure every several weeks to take a week off from lifting heavy though.

Don't forget the squat.

Read the FAQ in this forum, it will help you out a lot.

EDIT: I'm 15, nice to see another younger guy on this forum.

ill just add squats and legs in with my pull day.

how does the cardio look? should i add more

Do 100m sprints, it will help. Add split lunges to your routine. And , yes your program looks great for a guy of your age.

FAQ said:
Two day split:

Day one:
Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Day two:
Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

What's wrong with the 2 day split in the FAQ?

ill go with that 2 day split. I will also add in 100m sprints. Guys thanks a lot. You are all way more friendlier than bb.com or ufc.com forums. at least from what ive heard with my 8-9 posts :D

Today looked liked this............

DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS (FLAT)
100x9
100x6
100x4
100x3
100x2... after this set i threw a medicine ball off my chest 7 times. only 3 pounds but i did it to get some explosion.

WEIGHTED PULLUPS
25x12
45x6
45x4

E-Z BAR CURLS
65x12
65x12
65x12 (all easy)

After everything i hit 95 for 3 sets of 3 for speed bench since i didn't get bench work in. I like the dumbbells better for stability and GSP does them and i think im strogner than him at my weight (168).....

So i had a good day when last week ( on monday) i only hit 45 pounds pullups for 4 and i got it for 6 today and i hit 100 for 6 last week and i got them for 9 this week. So i am progressing. I would up the weight but my school dont go past 100. LOL.

BIG NOTE: I was suppose to do squats but i did them saturday so ill add them in later this week and if i don't i will add them in next week and put them in right after dumbbell flat bench press. later guys.

also heres my final routine.....

MONDAY
Evening: weight training

Ehhh....

Too high reps, too low weight.

Do the split in the FAQ, like someone suggested:

Day one:

Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Day two:

Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

Also, as for sets and reps, 3x12 is not exactly optimal in my opinion.

Do heavy weight for something like 3x5 or 5x5.

EDIT: Read the FAQ.

Ehhh....

Too high reps, too low weight.

Do the split in the FAQ, like someone suggested:

Day one:

Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Day two:

Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

Also, as for sets and reps, 3x12 is not exactly optimal in my opinion.

Do heavy weight for something like 3x5 or 5x5.

EDIT: Read the FAQ.

thanks. ill up the weight on all those and continue with my program. thanks man

Don't do curls. If you do them be ready to explain yourself.

Today looked liked this............

DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS (FLAT)
100x9
100x6
100x4
100x3
100x2... after this set i threw a medicine ball off my chest 7 times. only 3 pounds but i did it to get some explosion.

WEIGHTED PULLUPS
25x12
45x6
45x4

E-Z BAR CURLS
65x12
65x12
65x12 (all easy)

After everything i hit 95 for 3 sets of 3 for speed bench since i didn't get bench work in. I like the dumbbells better for stability and GSP does them and i think im strogner than him at my weight (168).....

So i had a good day when last week ( on monday) i only hit 45 pounds pullups for 4 and i got it for 6 today and i hit 100 for 6 last week and i got them for 9 this week. So i am progressing. I would up the weight but my school dont go past 100. LOL.

BIG NOTE: I was suppose to do squats but i did them saturday so ill add them in later this week and if i don't i will add them in next week and put them in right after dumbbell flat bench press. later guys.

also heres my final routine.....

MONDAY
Evening: weight training – Bench/Squat/Pull ups/Biceps

TUESDAY
Morning: Light run
Evening: Passing league & (Burpee challenge)

WEDNESDAY
Morning: Light run & speed training
Evening: Wrestling & core

THURSDAY
Evening: Weight training – Deadlift/Military press/Bent-over rows/Triceps

FRIDAY
Morning: Light run
Evening: Burpee challenge w/speed variation - Burpess with sprint/agility ladder ect............

SATURDAY
Morning: Hard short run
Evening: Speed training/Sprint cardio

SUNDAY
Morning: Recovery run (slow jog - - - do not push yourself)
Evening: OFF

later guys!!! always you can criticize me at anytime!!

o and my diet is every 2-2.5 hours i eat. i eat chicken and eggs and beef and ham and all the good protein. I only drink milk before i go to bed and maybe a little when i wake up due tot he high fat content and im trying to get faster and more conditioned so im gonna stay at somewhere around 163-165 and try to get ripped up and shredded there.

The light runs in the program above are hard, but not hard enough to kill myself and throw up, u know

later, finally!! :D

Nothing wrong with using Dumbbells for Bench Press, but don't choose them(or any exercise)just because GSP and Lesnar both do Dumbbell Bench Press. Find out what works for you, not someone else.

Once again, nothing wrong with using Dumbbells for Bench Press; Rippetoe has stated that, unless one is a competitve Powerlifter, there is nothing you can get from Barbell Bench that you can't get from using DB's. The only problem is most sets of Dumbells go up in increments of 10lbs, which makes linear progression difficult.

Oh, and you'd be better doing 3 or 5 X 5 for your sets/reps.

Nothing wrong with using Dumbbells for Bench Press, but don't choose them(or any exercise)just because GSP and Lesnar both do Dumbbell Bench Press. Find out what works for you, not someone else.

Once again, nothing wrong with using Dumbbells for Bench Press; Rippetoe has stated that, unless one is a competitve Powerlifter, there is nothing you can get from Barbell Bench that you can't get from using DB's. The only problem is most sets of Dumbells go up in increments of 10lbs, which makes linear progression difficult.

Oh, and you'd be better doing 3 or 5 X 5 for your sets/reps.

About linear progression and using DBs, is one effective way to progress with DB bench to simply go up in reps then go up in weight once you can't make 10 pound jumps? So if currently i'm getting 5-6 reps with 90lb Dbs wait til i can do 8-10 then goto 95lbs and do 3-4 reps working to the 8-10 range before going to 100lbs etc.

thanks.

To be honest, I don't think I'm qualified to give a definative answer to that. Most of the experts, like Rippetoe himself, state that 5 is the optimal rep range for developing strength.
However, if last week you were Dumbbell Benching 90lb for 5 reps and this week you're Benching the same weight for 8 reps then you are stronger.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell em how wrong I am...

To be honest, I don't think I'm qualified to give a definative answer to that. Most of the experts, like Rippetoe himself, state that 5 is the optimal rep range for developing strength.
However, if last week you were Dumbbell Benching 90lb for 5 reps and this week you're Benching the same weight for 8 reps then you are stronger.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell em how wrong I am...

i am training til failure and with my bodyweight, no matter what the 100's feel soo heavy. But as i adapt and get better at them, they will feel lighter and i will need to bring in my weights or something like that. It suks that they only have it up to 100's. I will do 1 more week with the 100's, but it i continuously press more and more, than why stop?.

I think the reason im building more strength is that that last 3 sets when im only hitting 3-4 reps. I also, after i get the reps, i do a negative so that always help. My partner spots me and i go AS SLOWW as possible.

I mean if im pressing 100's for 9 at BW of 168 i think thats pretty impressive. Also im not doing it because GSP does them or Lesnar. Sure they do them and i think its cool that i am like 25 pounds lighter than GSP and pressing close to him. But either way its using more stability than a barbell. I am progressing better with them to.

I went from benching 205 to 315 in a matter of 2 and a half months. You dont need to believe me but i was coming back from the hospital and the first 30 pounds were easy. I bulked up from 145 to 170 and i hit 315 for 1 with arching my but off the bench. If i dont arch my butt which i usually dont do i get around 300. But to me thats impressive enough for my bodyweight.

I also hit a new single every single week.

I did something like this...

weightx5
weightx3
weightx2
weightx1
weightx1

Then i did some dumbbells and flys and i did that once a week while squatting and deadlift only a bit because my but was still hurting from surgery. It still does when i runand cut for football, but i try to deal with it.

Later guys:icon_twis

faq1.jpg

Back