1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

how does this sound?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Butcher101**, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Butcher101**

Butcher101** Guest

hey guys, i just came up with a new routine for myself, but wasnt so sure about my bicep/tricep workout how does this sound?

reverse barbell curl 3x 6-8
    Upright barbell rows 3x 5-6
    incline dumbell press 3x 5-6
    overhead shoulder press 3x 5-6
    Bent arm barbell pullover 3x 6-8

i added the reverse barbell curls, because i wanted to work on my forarms as well.

i also do dips and chin ups but they are on my chest and back day which i do usually four-5 days after my bicep/tricep workout.

2. gauntman

gauntman Orange Belt

what are your goals?

i believe it is the general consensus of the forum is that isolation exercises are of dubious merit, as are tricep/bicep days. that said, your rep range looks cool, and this routine is short on cable-concentration curls. but why overhead and incline in the same "tricep" work out? are you starting the work out with curls?

in my own personal experience i find that bent over rows, pull ups, dips, and bench pressing have done more for my arms than curls, etc...

3. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

NO squats? Have you read the stickies?

4. Wrecking Ball

Wrecking Ball Orange Belt

Or lower body work, posterior chain, and no core work. That routine needs a ton of work man. Stickies, Urban's site, Carnal's Treatise, READ. NOW!

5. Butcher101**

Butcher101** Guest

like i said, this is only my bicep/tricep routine. I already have a leg routine with squats and everything.

6. niagareven

niagareven Blue Belt

Do you know what you are working out with these exercises?

reverse barbell curl - forearms
    Upright barbell rows - traps, delts
    incline dumbell press - delts, chest, tris, etc.
    overhead shoulder press - delts, tris
    Bent arm barbell pullover - lats

So for your "bi and tri" day you are only hitting your tris and it's not from direct work.

7. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

Needs more cowbell.

8. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

"I gotta fever... ...and the only prescription...is MORE COWBELL!" -Bruce Dickinson :D

9. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

This is wrong.

The reverse barbell curls will work your biceps in addition to your forearms, and the rows will work your biceps as well.

But all except for the first and last lifts are compound (the DB/Machine Pullover works the chest and serratus, BTW, I don't know what the hell it's doing in this workout), so if this is your bicep/tri day, what do you do on your chest & back days? You're probably hitting the same muscle groups with too little rest.

10. Zeirhk

Zeirhk Green Belt

I don't know, but let's see if anyone else here agrees with me. Why work biceps and triceps on the same day ?

11. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Many guys are still blinded by the bodybuilding concept of splitting routines by bodyparts. IMHO, it would be better to do splits by movements ( push, pull, vertical plane, horizontal plane)

12. CoachB40

CoachB40 White Belt

I would have to agree with FCFighter316. The only reason you could possibly have for direct work is if that area is lagging behind the rest and holding you back on you important lifts.