How does the 3 knockdown rule work?

Gregolian

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Be warned, I am a boxing noob. Like, really a noob.

And while trying to educate myself I decided to watch Pacquiao vs Marquez 1. And Pacquiao drops Marquez 3 times in the first. I thought after 3 knockdowns the ref would call the fight a TKO or is it up to the ref to call a TKO based on how a fighter reacts after the third knockdown?

The 3 knock down rule is not mandatory.

Some bouts do not have this rule. They leave it at the referee's discretion.

Other bouts, if you get knocked down 3 times, the fight is over.

to quote Harold Ledderman that day:
"The Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez fight is scheduled for 12 rounds, using the Unified Rules of Boxing of the the Association of Boxing Commissions. There is NO 3 know down rule. ONLY the referee can stop the fight. In case of an accidental headbutt, we go to the scorecards after four rounds have been completed. And you CANNOT BE SAVED by the bell in any round, INCLUDING THE 12th AND FINAL ROUND! Jim!"

Well, I guess I learned why. The vid I had didn't have that opening.

I know some people don't like this..... but I like the standing 8 count.
I wish it was used more often.

I know some people don't like this..... but I like the standing 8 count.
I wish it was used more often.

I'm glad the standing 8 isn't in use in the pros. It just gives a guy a short break from a beating to endure some more beating. The standing 8 does more harm than good to a fighter's health in the long run.

I see your point Luke but I agree with Paul, I would like to see them used more. Some fight get stop when a standing 8 would have been a better dec.

to quote Harold Ledderman that day:
"The Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez fight is scheduled for 12 rounds, using the Unified Rules of Boxing of the the Association of Boxing Commissions. There is NO 3 know down rule. ONLY the referee can stop the fight. In case of an accidental headbutt, we go to the scorecards after four rounds have been completed. And you CANNOT BE SAVED by the bell in any round, INCLUDING THE 12th AND FINAL ROUND! Jim!"
No it's more like "JJJJJJYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM"
that man says jim like no ones business

I see your point Luke but I agree with Paul, I would like to see them used more. Some fight get stop when a standing 8 would have been a better dec.
this is a tough one, while I agree that there will be early stoppages, but, you gotta make sure the fighter can come back next time and still give his all without ending up talking like Ali or Meldrick Taylor, to me thats sadder than an early stoppage, plus the fighter can just take a knee, but maybe pride will not let them do that, so there it is the referee's job to look out for him.

I'm glad the standing 8 isn't in use in the pros. It just gives a guy a short break from a beating to endure some more beating. The standing 8 does more harm than good to a fighter's health in the long run.

You've got a good point.
But, I think there are some pro bodies that do have the standing 8 count.

Regarding the standing 8 - there is some ref discretion as to when it's actually to be used or when it's not necessary.

Cooney v Norton - not necessary
Calzaghe v Manfredo - use it

Back