How does Nelson beat Cormier?

KillerTKO

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I am going through my bets for next weekend and short of landing a one punch KO I can't see what Roy's strategy would be in this fight. Not fighter bashing, just wondering what other people think the best strategy for Roy would be?

Also if anyone has any bets they feel are good value then let me know...

By KO. That's his only way. Roy Nelson has power and a chin and that's really the only reason he's still in the UFC. His grappling isn't exceptional for mma, he has terrible cardio but keeps coming, and his fight iq is severely lacking. His only chance is by KO

Lucky one punch KO, otherwise he gets pressed against the cage and grinded to a boring decision.
Cormier hasn't been hit too many times in his carrier so it's very likely his chin is still in that granite phase many fighters have at first.

The fight has "snoozefest" written all over it.

I honestly see Nelson winning by KO unless Cormier makes it a Couture style snoozefest as referenced above.

Nelson is impossible to hold down and his weakness in striking is mostly the clinch and knees, so I don't see why everyone assumes Cormier is going to walk through Nelson in a boxing match.

His best bet is to land a huge overhand right. I don't think he will though.

I honestly see Nelson winning by KO unless Cormier makes it a Couture style snoozefest as referenced above.

Nelson is impossible to hold down and his weakness in striking is mostly the clinch and knees, so I don't see why everyone assumes Cormier is going to walk through Nelson in a boxing match.

Cormier has faster hands, a better clinch game, better takedowns, better cardio and while not as much power, he does pack some. Nelson has the ability to KO Daniel, but I don't see Daniel standing there and trading with him and allowing Roy to wing overhand shots at his dome.

Cormier will tie him up, push him into the cage, rough him up a bit, tire him out and then pick him apart on his way to a UD.

By overhand right he's so adept at landing.

The problem is that Cormier is going to give him minimal chance.

But Roy does always have solid punchers chance.

If you look at it Roy has only KO'd guys who were known for getting hit a lot and/or bad chins. Struve & schaub were still developing prospects also while Roy was a vet. They arent the BJJ legend and top-10ish fighter we know now years later. Roy is still the same. His other KO's agasint good fighters were a completely shot CC & over the hill Cup Cheick. Those are his "quality" KO's.

He's also faced some guys like Mir & AA also known to get hit and for not haivng good chins. But they werent shot fighters and were still good. One finished him & the other looked like an Olympic level wreslter agasint him but was actualy Frank Mir. The guy he's fighting next is an actual Olympic level wrestler.

Because Nelson's boxing is terrible. He has one punch, no combo's, limited footwork, no speed, throw's 0 straight punches, and his cardio is pathetic. Mir held him down pretty easily in their fight so I'm not sure where you get that he's impossible to hold down. Miocic rarely took the fight to the clinch and he handled Roy with ease. one of Roy's weaknesses is that he uses no other weapons other then that big punch and he doesn't really try to fool people with it. He loads it up and plod's forward. His biggest weakness is a competent striker that doesn't stand and trade. Cormier is taking this fight any way he see's fit.

Huge Nelson fan here. I don't seem him winning. That's all.

Maybe Nelson could clip Cormier on the feet and sub him while he's rocked? I don't see any other way he gets him to the ground though.

Dumb matchup all around. It kinda exposes the sport when they book fights where one guy's key to winning is basically "get lucky."

Cormier slipping, then Nelson smothering him with his belly.

Back