How does Jan match up to Jones stylistically?

Not many guys are on the level of DC or Jones, so I don't hold that against Glover. Not many of Jon and DC's opponents were on their level either, so I don't think Jan having Glover on his resume looks any worse than Jones having guys like anthony smith, thiago santos, sonnen etc etc on his resume lol. Actually, I think that even now, glover is a more respectable win than a lot of those guys on Jon's resume.

I honestly think, skill for skill, Jan is right now the best LHW on the planet and could beat the young guys like Jiri, magomedov, and Rakic. The only problem is that he's old and he's not going to fight them right now. His time is running out.
he could beat those guys beacuse aside from Jiri the other 2 would be journymans in lhw 5 , 6 years ago

I have only seen Jan fight Izzy. He looks more impressive visually than he fights.
I think he's an easier match-up for Jones than reyes
Give Jan the picos first and he flatlines Jones

I actually did not see Jan visually impressive as far as striking is concerned. However, was impressed during the fight with his striking. I thought the same when Chris beat AS. I thought AS was going to destroy Chris because visually, like Jan, AS and IA just look more impressive. So I see it reverse to what you said, Jan looks more impressive when he fights than visually.

As far as Jones is concerned, I think Jones is on another level than Izzy. I say Jones beats Jan.

I meant his body is visually impressive (sort of)

I think we may need to consider how Jan would do against Jiri. (Jon is either retired or serving an undisclosed steroid suspension. But he isn't fighting and I don't expect that to change.)
I don't see Jan having too much trouble with Glover, but Jiri is a whirlwind of violence.

Jiri is high risk high reward, so Jan could definitely catch him and Jan has got fairly good counters and sound defense, though I am making that assessment based on his fights with much more traditional, predictable, orthodoxed fighters. Jiri has a wild element that could lead to strikes and angles Jan might not expect.

I expect Jiri to be wearing the LHW strap by next summer.

Jan would be out wrestled. Like, c'mon, Jacare wrestled him pretty easy, hikes.
Just like he outwrestled Reyes and one legged Santos? Jacare didn't take down Jan even once. He only wall stalled him for 2 rounds while still getting outstruck.
Jan was losing to gets like Manuwa, Corey Anderson and Patrick Cummins 20+ fights into his career. Jones and DC literally mop the floor with the guys who beat Jan.
On the other hand, Jan broke Reyes in two rounds while Jones got a gifted decision and received a lot more damage. Besides, he avenged his loses to Manuwa and Corey. The latter was knocked out in the first round and sent to Bellator. People don't remember that Anderson tried to get the fight to the floor twice, but Jan denied him. Fighters improve, right? Jan is 9-1 after he returned to his old gym. His prime came a lot later than for most of the fighters. Jon resume is better, but Jan is also a clean fighter.
Jon would even beat him on the feet Santos did and Jon beat Santos on the feet
Nice MMA math as always. Santos was getting better of Jones before he got injured. And even after that it was still a very competitive fight. Blachowicz in his fight with Thiago botched his signature rush and Marreta capitalized on it. Not one of his punches landed. His distance management was screwed. Now he's much more careful and he makes sure to connect first with opponent's glove or face.
also he s had a bigger reach than Israel he has a better chin and rearly struggles with muay thai figthers such as Ja
Jan would slow the fight like always and Jon wouldn't dare to pressure/follow like he usually does. Blachowicz has very sound fundamentals and his fight with Izzy only proved that. Jones wouldn't win on the feet.
if Gustaffson toke him down quite easily i can see Jon doing with way more easy
Jan TDD improved since then and Jon wasn't able to take Reyes nor one legged Santos down. But yes, it would be Jones best way to win that fight. That + clinching a lot and working with his elbows and knees.
Jan s striking wouldn t be the same either cuz he knows the Takedown threath is there unlike with Reyes and Adesanya
Sure, but he did fine in the Corey rematch, he easily outstruck Jacare and his striking looked great against Rockhold who tried to take him down several times.
couldn t knock out Jimi manuwa but yeah sure
More MMA math.
on 1 foot with a body punch Jan was dropped and tko ed by thiago santos
On 1 foot? What do you mean? He got injured in his next fight against Jon. Maybe you are talking about Santos stance? Yeah, it wasn't perfect because he was moving back, but he still packs a punch and Jan was rushing. Also, what body punch? Blachowicz got clipped twice on the chin.
he could beat those guys beacuse aside from Jiri the other 2 would be journymans in lhw 5 , 6 years ago
Make it fair, give Rakic and Ankalaev the juice and probably besides DC they would kill your roided heroes of the past.

Blachowicz will give him issues on the feet. He has much better hands and leg kicks, while Jones has better front kicks and oblique kicks, but I don't think that's enough to beat Blachowicz. I think Blachowicz will ultimately be the more effective striker on the feet at distance.

Also, I think Blachowicz (even being older now) is the faster striker. Watching him being close in speed with a fast middleweight striker like Adesanya proved that.

Jones path to victory is to clinch with him, control him up against the fence, and make it boring. Similar to how Usman beat Masvidal the first time. Jones might also need to take him down, but I don't trust Jones wrestling nowadays. It didn't look that good against Reyes (compared to the early days of Jones) and it was close to non-existent against Santos. He obviously likes to strike more than wrestle with his last few opponents, so I don't think much will change if he fought Blachowicz.

Obviously, my take can soon change now that Blachowicz is not far away from the age of 40. This year could be the last of a prime Blachowicz.

Last edited:
How is this a question? Jon by whatever he fancies.

Prime PED Jones >>> Current Jan >= Current Jones.

Jan definitely has a an excellent shot at beating the Jones that fought Santos/Reyes.
He's not beating the Jones who fought DC

btw i find it strange that more people aren't reporting on jones' inactivity. he allegedly wants to fight at HW for big money fights but he left the sport and gave up all of his bargaining power against UFC. it really makes no sense: why willingly give up your belt and fire your manager who is dana's sweetheart and has gotten you your entire career? i think jones is under USADA arbitration. i doubt we ever see him fight again.

Shockingly Jones has fought every year since he started fighting, despite all his "layoffs". If he doesn't fight this year it will be his first calendar year not fighting somehow.

Shockingly Jones has fought every year since he started fighting, despite all his "layoffs". If he doesn't fight this year it will be his first calendar year not fighting somehow.

He said he will next fight january or february

How is this a question? Jon by whatever he fancies.

A couple of years ago, for sure. Jon at his peak was a far better fighter than Jan. But Jon struggled in his last few fights and got a few friendly decisions from the judges. And now he hasn't fought in a year and a half.

I think there are plenty of questions worth asking about Jon vs top LHWs.

Just like he outwrestled Reyes and one legged Santos? Jacare didn't take down Jan even once. He only wall stalled him for 2 rounds while still getting outstruck.

On the other hand, Jan broke Reyes in two rounds while Jones got a gifted decision and received a lot more damage. Besides, he avenged his loses to Manuwa and Corey. The latter was knocked out in the first round and sent to Bellator. People don't remember that Anderson tried to get the fight to the floor twice, but Jan denied him. Fighters improve, right? Jan is 9-1 after he returned to his old gym. His prime came a lot later than for most of the fighters. Jon resume is better, but Jan is also a clean fighter.

Nice MMA math as always. Santos was getting better of Jones before he got injured. And even after that it was still a very competitive fight. Blachowicz in his fight with Thiago botched his signature rush and Marreta capitalized on it. Not one of his punches landed. His distance management was screwed. Now he's much more careful and he makes sure to connect first with opponent's glove or face.

Jan would slow the fight like always and Jon wouldn't dare to pressure/follow like he usually does. Blachowicz has very sound fundamentals and his fight with Izzy only proved that. Jones wouldn't win on the feet.

Jan TDD improved since then and Jon wasn't able to take Reyes nor one legged Santos down. But yes, it would be Jones best way to win that fight. That + clinching a lot and working with his elbows and knees.

Sure, but he did fine in the Corey rematch, he easily outstruck Jacare and his striking looked great against Rockhold who tried to take him down several times.

More MMA math.

On 1 foot? What do you mean? He got injured in his next fight against Jon. Maybe you are talking about Santos stance? Yeah, it wasn't perfect because he was moving back, but he still packs a punch and Jan was rushing. Also, what body punch? Blachowicz got clipped twice on the chin.

Make it fair, give Rakic and Ankalaev the juice and probably besides DC they would kill your roided heroes of the past.
you can t said he take down defence has improved beacuse he has faced mostly strikers , jon is years ahead of adesanya even past his prime , jacare was ko ed by holland from the bottom and rockhold by Bisping <36>

Back