How does it feel to cut weight?

i really wish they would do doctor science stuff on fighters during these weight cuts i just want information about what is happening to their bodies

Leslie Smith

Leslie_Smith_Headshot.png

Leslie Smith cutting to 125lbs for an MMA fight

013_Leslie_Smith.jpg

Whatever is happening to their bodies, it can't possibly be good. There has got to be a way to get extreme weight cutting out of the sport before somebody dies.

If you need a IV to cut weight you should not be fighting in that weight class.

Thanks, sir Tulian!

I wasn't sure if it was Bobby Southworth or somebody else. But, man, this just shows how brutal a weight cut can be. This is why you need to take your diet very, very seriously and never blow up so much when you aren't fighting. Just like Johny Hendricks, the way he would blow up in between fights.. so unprofessional. At least he (Johny) is taking it more seriously today, though and not gaining so much weight in between fights.

I don't understand why Hendricks does it to himself. Dude gets downright fat in between fights. Those weight cuts HAVE to suck and it's gotta be impacting his performance. Ever since he gassed out trying to finish iron skulled Condit, he's really backed off on his aggression. He's a completely different fighter after that experience. Now that he's on the wrong side of 30, it's just going to keep getting harder and harder. Don't change your fighting style, just commit to staying in shape!

112414-UFC-welterweight-champion-Johnny-Hendricks-SS-PI.jpg

it sucks bro... imagine how you felt during an average hangover from drinking, then multiply that by pi

just tell him to multiply it by 3.

Average night of drinking for me back in the day, and I wouldnt have made it up to the scales. :eek:

I don't understand why Hendricks does it to himself. Dude gets downright fat in between fights. Those weight cuts HAVE to suck and it's gotta be impacting his performance. Ever since he gassed out trying to finish iron skulled Condit, he's really backed off on his aggression. He's a completely different fighter after that experience.

112414-UFC-welterweight-champion-Johnny-Hendricks-SS-PI.jpg

I know, man, it's fucking ridiculous.

It's not that he just gains a little bit of weight, he gains a lot of weight. I find it pretty unprofessional that he did that. He did it quite a few times, too. He'd gain nothing but fat in between fights and would be eating tons of junk as evidenced by some pictures of him.

It would've been a hell of a lot smarter for him to just stay in shape like GSP did, and still does even though he's not even fighting anymore. If Hendricks were to stay in shape at all times, not gaining a bunch of fat in between fights and staying a little close to the 170 limit, he would do a lot better in the cage, IMO, much like you said.

And yeah, that fight with Condit was kinda shitty once Hendricks gassed. Before he gassed, it was very entertaining - but once he did gas, he just started taking him down and doing little to nothing from top position, while Condit was constantly attacking with strikes, sweep and submission attempts the entire time.

Against Lawler (mostly the 2nd fight) he was doing alright, the fight was somewhat entertaining before Hendricks tired out - then when he got tired, he literally just pushed him against the fence and did NOTHING. He pushed Lawler against the fence, stuck his head between his legs so Lawler couldn't hit him there, and looked like he was trying to stick his head up Lawler's ass.

He LITERALLY stalled. He did NOTHING. Lawler won that fight because Hendricks literally let later rounds slip away from him. The first first was just so fucking awesome and then the rematch.. man.. just.. it was bad. I was so excited for the rematch because of how the first fight went, I expected a WAR like the first time, then we got... that.. just terrible, man!

Don't change your fighting style, just commit to staying in shape!

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I actually never thought of it that way, man.

At least in Hendricks' last fight against Brown, he decided to actually take his diet and weight cutting more seriously. He didn't almost kill himself on his way to make 170. He made it comfortably.

Unfortunately, Hendricks went out and.. well, was a boring fight again, in my opinion. On the feet, it was OK - he did well setting up his TD's, but when he did get his TD, what did he do? Basically just relied on control. I can't watch that shit.. at least GSP would hit his opponent over and over, even though they weren't super powerful - at least GSP constantly, CONSTANTLY passed the guard and would throw punches and elbows from top position, unlike Johny who literally just relied/relies on control because, really, his top game is not that great, at least in my opinion.. which is why he barely lands anything worth mentioning from top position.

Sorry for the long post, man. I tend to get carried away and feel like talking in a lot of detail. I like making for intelligent discussion instead of just quick one-liners, I don't know why. I always make it into a long conversation, lol. Hope you don't mind.

I get the shakes and jitters when I miss a meal so I imagine cutting weight would be 100x worse at least the first few times. I also get headaches when I'm dehydrated (as anyone does) so I imagine the fighters have bad headaches too.
shakes from missing one meal? Man, you soft like a twinkie filling

or he's a diabetic and doesn't know it. he should probably see a doctor about that.

Feels like utter shit. Particularly after the epsom salt bath. Trouble with focus, sometimes balance, etc. Cramping like a bitch because your electrolytes are so damn depleted, headache, lips cracking even with chapstick or whatever.

Makes you look forward to what comes next, because at least the cut is over.

I get the shakes and jitters when I miss a meal so I imagine cutting weight would be 100x worse at least the first few times. I also get headaches when I'm dehydrated (as anyone does) so I imagine the fighters have bad headaches too.

They try not to miss meals because that will weaken you. Dolce has his guys eat nuts and oils to make sure they have energy. Those foods are so calorie dense that only a few ounces can keep you from crashing and have little effect on the water cut. It is all about cutting water.

Hot water baths, bundled up in saunas, etc. when your body gets so hot you start to mentally break. It's like that feeling you get when you are holding your breath right before you just have to breath, it is like that kind of discomfort just making you want to get out of the heat and jump into some cold water. It's awful, that's why you see bad-asses like Aldo literally starting to cry and begging their trainer to let them quit cutting weight.

You feel really, really, really tired. Not like sleepy tired, but tired in the sense that you can't even be bothered to think. The smallest of movements feels like a terrible chore. Also, after a bit, you stop feeling hungry, but then when the hunger comes back, it is so strong that it hurts.

It depends how much weight you're cutting and in how much time.

Generally, it is very unpleasant. Imagine being stranded in a desert with no water, dressed in ski clothes.

shakes from missing one meal? Man, you soft like a twinkie filling

Your post makes me crack up so bad that I can't even respond with hate. A fitness buddy told me it's all psychological and that I can learn to control it. Of course that other guy might be right about diabetes and I should go get it checked out. I think that makes me tough though, possibly handling diabetes without meds.

Back