How does it feel to cut weight?

B

Bulletproof Acc

As someone who's never had the pleasure of cutting weight, i want to know. When the bodies of guys like Woodley's and Mcgregor's looks completely sucked in and different on the scale, how does that feel on the body? In comparison to like fight day or any other day

Last edited by a moderator:
Dehydration 101

I'd say it's probably an exaggerated version of fasting one day.

Considering they are literally not far from death I would say it feels pretty fucken bad. (For the guys with a really tough weight cut anyway)

TS, why don't you try it and let us know how it feels?

i always wondered also. Does it feel like a hangover?

Bad ones can make you feel like your legs are numb.
That has never happened in the many hangovers I have had.

Try it out for yourself. Go on a strict diet for a week or so consuming bare minimum calories, then after a week of starving yourself, run for as long as you can while drinking no water. There ya go. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

I get the shakes and jitters when I miss a meal so I imagine cutting weight would be 100x worse at least the first few times. I also get headaches when I'm dehydrated (as anyone does) so I imagine the fighters have bad headaches too.

it sucks bro... imagine how you felt during an average hangover from drinking, then multiply that by pi

I get the shakes and jitters when I miss a meal so I imagine cutting weight would be 100x worse at least the first few times. I also get headaches when I'm dehydrated (as anyone does) so I imagine the fighters have bad headaches too.

shakes from missing one meal? Man, you soft like a twinkie filling

I only cut about 5 lbs once, no idea what it feels like to cut 20+ lbs

Try it out for yourself. Go on a strict diet for a week or so consuming bare minimum calories, then after a week of starving yourself, run for as long as you can while drinking no water. There ya go. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Duuude... I can't even lift on an empty stomach. That shit sounds criminal.

After seeing Cyborg's cut, it must feel awful.

Here's an excellent guide to cut weight:

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

It also has a detailed diary about how it feels:

What It Feels Like To Cut Weight

Nate Green after cutting weight
Dry as a bone and none to happy about it.

So that all looks fine on paper. But what does it actually feel like to go through it?

One word: Hell.

I started my cut on Sunday at 190 pounds. Here’s a quick rundown of what it looked like.

SUNDAY – 190 POUNDS

I carry a gallon water jug with me wherever I go, which makes me feel ridiculous. But I have to make sure I get my two gallons of water in. Overall, though, I feel fine. It actually doesn’t seem that difficult. I’m not sure what the big deal is.

MONDAY – 187 POUNDS

I’m starting to miss the taste of salt. All of my food is bland. Now I’m drinking one gallon of water instead of two. Still not that bad.

TUESDAY – 182 POUNDS

I go to the bathroom 13 times in one day. A new record, I believe. And I’m still drinking a gallon of water.

WEDNESDAY – 179 POUNDS

Now I’m down to half gallon of water per day, which means I have to ration it out, which feels weird. I have a little with breakfast, a little with lunch, and a little with dinner. It’s definitely not enough water.

My mouth is dry. I feel dehydrated. I’m drinking straight espresso instead of drip coffee because it contains too much water.

In the evening, I try my first hot water bath. I generally enjoy baths, but this one’s different. My apartment’s water doesn’t get as hot as Dr. Berardi wants it to be — “hot enough to cause moderate pain but not burn your hand” — so I fill two pots and a kettle with water, put them on the stovetop until they boil, and pour them into the bath tub.

I get into the bath and immediately regret the decision.

10 minutes later, I’m lying naked in the middle of my living room trying to catch my breath. My eyes are rolled back into my head. My entire body feels like a giant heartbeat. I want to drink some water, but can’t.

This is starting to be less fun.

THURSDAY – 175 POUNDS

I am a zombie. A zombie who sits. Mostly in the sauna or on the couch.

In the sauna I watch beads of sweat collect on my skin. I see my precious water run down my arms and chest and legs and know that I won’t be able to replenish any of it when I get out.

I only have .25 gallons of water to last me the entire day. I’m ready for this to be over.

FRIDAY – 169.7 POUNDS AT 5PM

I look sick, very sick.

I spend the last 30 minutes before the weigh-in in the sauna and drink four sips of water throughout the entire day…

I don't get hungry. I just get really tired and uncaring about anything and irritable at even myself. Physically just like moving through water, but the mental fog is the worst

at first you have headaches, you are constantly on the edge, zero sense of humor, you want to kill people. then, the second day of the program comes.

at first you have headaches, you are constantly on the edge, zero sense of humor, you want to kill people. then, the second day of the program comes.

*Go on...

Back