How does height affect grappling?

6.3.. and during some throws it feels like I'm being thrown forever, and sometimes due to my height and lack of weight I hit the ground at ridiculous speeds.
Although I tend to have range on everyone I train with and so can get in longer strikes and reach for the head with Atemi a lot easier.

Having a higher centre of gravity without much weight to back it up does tend to suck a little when being launched.

right now I'm 5'10" and 155lbs. Gonna bulk up when I'm older (still growing, you see) so preferrably I'll be about 6'1" and 240-260. Right now my size helps with jiu-jitsu, but wrestling's my thing, so being thicker will aid that.

You know 6'1" and 240-260 is ridiculously big right?

I'm 6'3" and 170lb.

Pros: Triangles, closed guard, overhead sweeps with legs

Cons: Easy for guys to get takedowns on me, hard to pull out of halfguard sometimes because my big feet and legs get stuck

I'm 5'9" myself. I feel like my base is pretty good so it's hard to sweep me. Also, I always roll with taller guys and usually clinch with them and take them down from there. I find it hard to double leg a taller guy but it doesn't make sense as I have read that shorter stockier guys are better at wrestling.

Can anyone clarify that for me?

haha that's weird shorter people usually are better at shooting in on the taller people.

Last edited:
Like Lugs spear I like the omoplata quite a bit, tough I'm 5'2 140lbs, but once a hand touched the ground. My short yet flexible legs easily allow me to trap the arm.

The butterfly guard is my best guard for sure against a physically bigger and stronger opponant but when I go against lanky guys where I can actually close my guard its all about armbars and scissor sweeps

im like 175 and 6"7. really long arms and legs. guard(triangles,armbars,omoplata) and chokes(guillotines,Brabo,neckties) work best for my frame.

im 5"7 150 and i have only gotten one triangle in my life. however i utilize it to setup my arm bars a lot. i can claim guard a lot easier then most people though.

6'3, 170.

I've got a good triangle, of course, but for the past year or more I've been working exclusively on top control, so my guard sucks.

I find when I'm in top side or half guard I can sometimes use my length to great advantage when defending sweeps/reversals. My stretching out one or both of my legs away from my opponent I can make myself ridiculously heavy on that side due to leverage. Where shorter guys get swept, I'm able to hold in even though I don't weight that much myself.

I also really like the darce choke. Any head and arm choke is good I think, my long arms allow me get go very deep that shorter people seem to have a hard time doing.

Height and weight aren't the only determining factors though, speed,balance, flexibility, scrambling ability, mindset, body proportion all affect what moves you do and are good at.

But seriously.

I'm 5'10" white belt and can only get triangles on one guy who never defends them. My game is mostly just fighting for position seeing as how I suck at armbars and can't get triangles.

I've gotten triangles from mount, americanas and chokes from dominate positions. But my bottom game is mainly about survival and movement right now, especially seeing as how everyone is either a higher rank or bigger.

Back