How does Hamill win?

wompuscatwilly

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Serious question; how does Matt Hamill win tomorrow night against Thiago Silva? I have several local ties to Matt and have always been a fan but I don't see an advantage for him anywhere. Silva can beat him anywhere the fight goes and I don't see this ending well for Matt. He has always shown an ability to take punishment which scares me even more for him against Silva.

Matt has faced a murders row of competition since debuting in the UFC. They haven't given him much room for a learning curve. I will be rooting for him but this fight makes me really nervous for him. Any of you sherdoggers giving Matt a chance tomorrow night?

He could land a big KO punch or the other option would be outcardio'ing Thiago.

seems very unlikely though.

Hamill is a good dude, but I agree, I think Thiago Silva is going to wreck him. I think the real question, is whether Silva will piss hot. lol

His only option seems lay 'n pray before Silva lands some bombs.

Take down, cut him up, gas him out. Keep hands up!

I really feel like the powers that be in the UFC have a vendetta against Matt. How else do you explain the level of opponents he's faced? Especially when you consider his experience level. It's so frustrating because he never seems to use his wrestling to protect himself.

Those who say Hamill wins via wrestling are delusional IMO.

Hamill is about the only fighter in the last 3 years who couldn't take down Rampage. In fact, he never came close.

Rashad is a much better wrestler than Hamill, and he did just enough TDs and LnP to secure a decision over Thiago. He almost got KO'd in the 3rd, and probably would have if Thiago didn't dance around and act like a fool.

Hamill's wrestling, especially at his age and after a long layoff, won't be nearly enough. Thiago might even outgrapple him. Thiago tossed Vera around like he was LW. (Yes, I know Thiago got busted for a substance after that fight, but still...).

I really feel like the powers that be in the UFC have a vendetta against Matt. How else do you explain the level of opponents he's faced? Especially when you consider his experience level. It's so frustrating because he never seems to use his wrestling to protect himself.

His experience level isn't he issue, it's his skill level.

And I don't think it's that unreasonable.. he beats the Reese Andy and Roger Hollett level of comp... he beats the Jardine and Tito level of comp... but he can't compete with the Jones and Gus level of comp. Nothing wrong with that. Thiago Silva hasn't been able to beat the next level of competition either.

Both guys have lost to the elite guys and beaten pretty much everyone else.

I still think Thiago destroys him though.

Matt has faced a murders row of competition since debuting in the UFC. They haven't given him much room for a learning curve.

I really disagree with this. The Bisping and Franklin fights might have been early on. Actually I dont see how anyone could make the claim that the Bisping fight was too early in his career. He woud've had to face him if he didnt get injured on TUF anyways. He fought Forbes, Seth, Rex Hollman, Reese Andy early in career.

I always thought the Franklin fight was really wierd even if they weren't friends. I think maybe they truly thought he could win with his wrestling and break through. Even if he gets a scrub there instead of Rich his career still probalby plays out the same way.

Munoz fight was at LHW in his UFC debut and last Mark's LHW fight. Him and Boestch were in similar position as midcarders and Matt won. This gives him rise in comp. This might be where the UFC felt he wasnt just some name from TUF they could use but maybe lets test him and see how far he could go. That's when he fought Rich. Him and Bones were in similar parts of career when they fought.

He got also Jardine and Ortiz near the end of their UFC careers during career slumps. Rampage near the end. He took Gus fight on short notice. Hollett is like some of those early opponents I named, god awful.

I think just the oposite. They gave him every opportunity to grow & tried to build him up some. Gave him reasonable opportunities to break into upper echelon and he didnt.

I was gonna say "by employing the same winning strategy he had against JBJ" but somebody beat me to it.

\..

He also has a decent shot of eventually coming out of this fight with a No Contest.

there is a remote chance that this could look like silva evans and matt could squeak out a decision, but i seriously doubt it. this will be a hard one to watch for fans of "the hammer", myself included.

I like Hamill, but he's not going to win this fight. To those saying "with his wrestling", are you crazy? He has pretty bad MMA wrestling, and he employs the "lead with the face" strategy of closing the gap on fighters.

Best bet is a NC, unfortunately.

Pressure, cardio and a good chin. His wall n stall game could give Silva problems. But really Silva's just going to take his fucking head off.

Takedowns, Silva runs out of gas around the 2 minute mark in the first, The Hammer gets a TKO

Back