How does Conor McGregor match up against the top 10 Welterweights in the UFC?

Fights he'd lose:

1. Tyron Woodley ==> Gets smashed/KTFO
2. Colby Covington ==> Gets Grinded/Wrestlef*****
3. Darren Till ==> Gets stomped, size difference is big
5. Stephen Thompson ==> Gets point striked at range, maybe finished
7. Kamaru Usman ==> Gets extremely wrestlef*****
8. Demian Maia ==> Sub by whatever Demian wants
9. Neil Magny ==> outgrappled, outsized

Fights he can win :

4. Rafael Dos Anjos ==> 50/50, his style could give RDA problems
6. Robbie Lawler ==> he can win, i'd say 50/50, conor's counters vs robbie's toughness
10. Jorge Masvidal ==> probably his easiest matchup in the top 10, 60/40 in Conor's favor

I agree with this. His power won't translate as well

Fights he'd lose:

Fights he can win :

6. Robbie Lawler ==> he can win, i'd say 50/50, conor's counters vs robbie's toughness
10. Jorge Masvidal ==> probably his easiest matchup in the top 10, 60/40 in Conor's favor

Exactly this.
Excellent post.

Magny is his only chance

Fights he'd lose:

Fights he can win :

Im a big conor hater, but not doubter. He kills jorge, rda, magny (lol), and maia. He is a bad motherfucker in the cage

He's 1-1 (and many feel 0-2) against a LW fighting at WW. Had this same guy on short notices, hand picked, favorable style match up and quit the first time then resorted to running away and fighting in spurts to avoid being finished again.

Of all those guys - maybe Robbie as it appears Lawler is on the down slide. He's not fighting 145'ers anymore or glorfied brawlers (alverez).

Fights he'd lose:

Fights he can win :

Lawler would finish Conor and Masvidal would legit smoke Conor so bad. Masvidal has better boxing than Conor.

WW top 10 is scared of Usman.

Anyone who thinks Conor beats him is fooling themselves.

Alright amateurs, I've had it. It goes like this:

1.) Woodley: Conor Loses. He has no chance in stopping that double leg. He also can't take that overhand but I can see him countering it. Woodley can probably take that left but not too many.

2.) Colby: 55-45 to Colby. Like Khabib, Colby needs an early takedown or at least clinch. He can't stand with Conor but like Khabib, his chin is a mystery. Besides footwork, I don't see Conor stopping his takedowns. And then there's cardio!

3.) Till: Till vs Cowboy again basically. Too big for him. Till by murder.
4.) RDA: Could go either way but I lean towards RDA. Conor has to finish him in 2 rounds or he gets subbed. And because they're both southpaws and with the side on stance that Conor uses, he is at high risk for leg kicks. WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS?
5.) Wonderboy wins. He is too big. I believe Conor has better striking though p4p.
6.) Lawler is declining. Conor wons today. Prime Lawler takes Conors shots and takes him into deep waters. He'd "take his soul".
7.) Usman prison rapes him with wrestling. He should not try to stand though.

8.) Maia wins by sub. I don't think Conor can really hurt him. Underrated chin + too big.

9.) Magny probably wrestle fucks him.
10.) Masvidal has a chin, solid boxing and overall striking, great defense in all aspects and an underrated ground game. Takes some shots avoids some and takes Conor to deep waters. He's not busy enough but pressures well. 3rd round TKO or even D'arce if Conor panic wrestles.

Lawler would finish Conor and Masvidal would legit smoke Conor so bad. Masvidal has better boxing than Conor.
Conor has better blxing than both. However, prime Lawler and Masvidal would take his shots abd take him to deep waters Diaz style. Pure skill goes to Conor but that cardio though.

Loses to Woodley
Loses to Colby
Loses to Till
Beats RDA
Loses to Wonderboy
Maybe beats Lawler
Loses to Usman
Can't tell where Maia is at.
Beats Magny
Beats Masvidal
Beats Ponzinibbio

I don't think he beats Masvidal. How? By KO? Masvidal takes him to deep waters and gets a late TKO. Think of him as Nate with only slightly less chin and reach but much better defense, boxing, ringcraft and actually good at throwing kicks. Oh and he hits harder too. His cardio isn't on Nates level but it's definitely better than Conor's.

In before wasteland

Btw,

Actually breaking down fights objectively skill for skill, current patient energy efficient Conor is a terrible match up for Woodley .

Most people just don't know what they are watching (which is why Conor is so under rated in the first place)

Woodley has a natural tendency to back himself to the fence.

He wants opponents to aggressively step forward into takedowns or overhands.

But most are too smart to fall for such low level bait.

-Rory simply controlled the center, never over stepped or over extended, and pot shotted the shit out of Woodley along side the fence

- Marquardt went all the way In to pin Woodley against the fence, SMOOTHER, and dirty box (including elbows and knees)

Woodley has already been massively exposed on two fronts

Now when Wonderboy would press Woodley against the fence, the mental pressure of being closed in against the fence, did cause Woodley to bumrush forward off the fence...

However Wonderboy is not a good boxer, doesnt counter well in boxing exchanges, and just backs up in a straight line giving ground (instead of planting and countering or stepping forward himself and smoothering the bumrush)

WB's karate backpedaling just allowed Woodley to chase with his overhands, build forward momentum with his bumrush, and force boxing exchanges to catch Wonderboy in

Every time Woodley caught Wonderboy was when Woodley said fuck it and bumrushed forward off the fence

I am sure anyone can put 2 and 2 together here

This is the reason why Conor McGregor is the worst match up possible for Woodley

Conor keeps opponents pinned to the fence, doesnt over extend, doesnt step in, continues to potshot/draw out etc - and the mental pressure he puts on, causes opponents to try to explode out of it, except where Conor is the best boxer in MMA and is already ready to meet the opponents explosion with a devastating counter

Conor would literallly "Aldo" Woodley.

The unusual over aggressive injuried short notice Conor who fought Mendes would have def been more at risk of stepping into Woodley's takedowns and losing the fight bad

However today's Conor would command the center and beat the shit out of Woodley alongside the fence.

Hop back/step back from any takedown attempts. Utilise his neck frames to shut down any shoots/clinches.

Draw out the right to counter.

It would be a clinic. Conor would keep Woodley pinned - out point and counter everything

Woodley would literally be DROWNED alive on live TV by Conor

"Woodley is nothing but a short stocky wrestler with an overhand"

Conor eats alive the orthodox wrestler/boxer style for breakfast twice every morning

I absolutely agree with your assessment on the striking. You seem knowledgeable, not gonna lie. But Woodley's double leg is near impossible for Conor to stop. Chad had success. Also, Conor didn't look that great off his back. The only time I remember where he got back to his feet was when Chad went for that ill advised hail Mary choke attempt. Tyron is way heavier on top and will deliver worse gnp strikes . Easy fight for Woodley due to his wrestling.

I don't think he beats Masvidal. How? By KO? Masvidal takes him to deep waters and gets a late TKO. Think of him as Nate with only slightly less chin and reach but much better defense, boxing, ringcraft and actually good at throwing kicks. Oh and he hits harder too. His cardio isn't on Nates level but it's definitely better than Conor's.
I should note that all of my picks were in three rounders.

Why? Coz you know Conor will gas. Either way, 3rd round TKO for Masvidal or a decision for Conor.
No, it's because Conor isn't a champ and neither is masvidal. I guess the Woodley one would be the five rounder. I think Conor could outstrike Jorge pretty handily, especially if Masvidal looks the way he did against Wonderboy. Cardio is of course the wildcard.

UFC's official rankings:
1. Tyron Woodley
2. Colby Covington
3. Darren Till
4. Rafael Dos Anjos
5. Stephen Thompson
6. Robbie Lawler
7. Kamaru Usman
8. Demian Maia
9. Neil Magny
10. Jorge Masvidal

I personally think he loses to everyone on this list. It's likely that the majority of them not only beat him, but finish him.

I also believe that most of the fighters in the Bellator Welterweight Grand Prix bracket would beat him.

What say you?

Conor has a legitimate chance against every one of these guys.

I think @PROlogic is right, Woodley would be an easy fight for Conor.

Especially given how easily triggered Tyrone is.

T-Wood would be mentally defeated a weak after the fight was announced.

Conor has a legitimate chance against every one of these guys.

I think @PROlogic is right, Woodley would be an easy fight for Conor.

Especially given how easily triggered Tyrone is.

T-Wood would be mentally defeated a weak after the fight was announced.
I'll slap you at the next family BBQ

Back