How does American mainstream media look at UFC or MMA in general?

I get weird looks when I tell people I follow MMA.

I don't care as much about football or other sports, so when guys try to make conversation about them I have trouble with it. I try to turn the conversation toward MMA, and it usually doesn't work.

I worked at a intermediary bank and most of my co-workers didnt know shit about MMA. I used to try to show them some fights, but some would end in brutal fashion and Im sure I probably scared away 70% of who I showed.

Some like it, some dont.

Some will watch and stay drawn, some will watch and not care, and some will watch and be disgusted.

id say the mainstream media is barely interested unles there is something interesting going on like rousey or lesnar - media also likes attributing violence to someone who 'watched ufc' and stuff like that - its still there for shock value sinc emost people dotn like fights\

i think the ufc has more potential internationally, where fighting is more accepted and isnt considered so brutal / gross

some guy told me a couple days ago while we were watching old ufc 'can you turn that off? im eating'

Mma is mainly looked at as a one off freak show semi legit but not a sport.

they are totally ignored by local media in Chicago, ESPN gives hotdog eaters more coverage than UFC, so I'd say their coverage sucks! Hopefully FOX will help change this.

As much as soccer isn't popular in America, mocked by Dana & many people, thoughts that UFC will be more popular then that sport worldwide it's featured way more on ESPN and every US sports channel. Soccer is also heavily featured on FS1, 2 & all fox stations. Even some where the UFC gets no content on. The MLS is covered more by major sports networks.

One of UFC recent postfight press conferences wasn't held until like an hour after the event ended becasue FS2 was carrying a repeat of a international soccer match. After that repeat ended Dana could do his press conference and it was live on FS2. Dana had to wait for a soccer repeat to end in America on UFC's sports station.

People in here pretty much are right on. It is viewed as a fringe sport and is too violent for the "mainstream". ESPN barely has any coverage in the US(although they do boxing better, that doesn't get a ton of coverage either). It' no surprise that networks that carry the UFC do a better job with the coverage of the sport.

A little off topic, but I have to admit I feel uncomfortable mentioning that I am a MMA fan at work. Some people are cool with it, but I fear it brings a negative stereo type. Sort of like the idea that people should avoid talking about politics or religion at work. Funny that boxing is ok....

Back