How does a Take Down in the last 15 secs "Steal the round"?

jhall6

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am trying to find out how a takedown at the buzzer steals a round. Should someone who is losing a fairly even round be able to steal it with a TD in the last few secs?

Do the judges even have meetings to watch fights and discuss these things?

right now, unless the other guy got beat the fuck out, sadly, it does.

It does and it shouldn't.

Blame the judges for being idiots.

It doesn't unless the round has been fairly even.
And takedowns are a pretty important aspect of the game, so they count towards the advantage.

if you do something with them.... I could give a fuk about getting take down, since I love to play guard... so he aint imposing his will, actually Im letting him think hes imposing his will, while all the time, im the one doing it (not really, but it kind of works that way with guard players)... If you get a td, you should look to make damage, not just lay in there...

I am trying to find out how a takedown at the buzzer steals a round. Should someone who is losing a fairly even round be able to steal it with a TD in the last few secs?

Do the judges even have meetings to watch fights and discuss these things?

The key term is fairly even round. A takedown is a major technique and changes the fight significantly. In the absence of another major moment, it steals the round. Also anything major that happens at the end of a round is fresh in the judges mind when they score the round.

And takedowns are a pretty important aspect of the game, so they count towards the advantage.

I agree, but it is becoming strategy to get points. Its usually seen agaist a dangerous BJJ guy being taken down only at the end of rounds when the chanch of him getting the sub are lowered.

A takedown shows you are dominant by taking the fight where you want it to go so unless you get beat down then it should win the round.

A takedown shows you are dominant by taking the fight where you want it to go so unless you get beat down then it should win the round.

read my post, what about if having the guy on top of me is what I want???? ever heard about bjj???

I agree but in this case, uke does the tkd right at the end of the round with no intention to gnp or submission attempt.

It is just for show.

Takedowns are only important if something comes of them. The ability to takedown your opponent by itself is useless unless you have the ability to continue to fight or dominate on the ground, and should be judged accordingly.

Edit: Cards really need to be introduced to stop stalling on the ground. A takedown+stalling can often win a round, especially in the UFC, and has the added negative of being boring as fuck.

Last edited:
Which is why MMA is the king of sports. Dudes boxing awkwardly for 4 minutes and 30 seconds, then shooting for takedowns to earn points.

Who knows what the judges do these days. Is there a place to look up the way judges score the fights at detail we all know the basics but is there more detail to it?

Who knows what the judges do these days. Is there a place to look up the way judges score the fights at detail we all know the basics but is there more detail to it?

Some transparency would go along way.

Takedowns are only important if something comes of them. The ability to takedown your opponent by itself is useless unless you have the ability to continue to fight or dominate on the ground, and should be judged accordingly.

Edit: Cards really need to be introduced to stop stalling on the ground. A takedown+stalling can often win a round, especially in the UFC, and has the added negative of being boring as fuck.

I highlighted the most important word there. Takedowns should not be scored. The damage inflicted after a takedown should be scored.

That is how it should be. That is not how it is.

sadly to the florinis and edgars of the world, it is a game and not a fight :icon_neut

to me the take down dont mean no more than a jab. winning a good exchange should be give more points. what good is a take down if you are not going to try finish with a submission or do some damage by landing some GnP? judges are fucking stupid

I have absolutely no problem with fighters winning MMA fights by getting takedowns.

In a fairly close round where nothing significant has happened any major action can "steal the round", a takedown is one such action. Landing a clean power punch or a head kick can do the same thing.

Back