how do you train to keep your chin down.

teamventure09

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
my chin is down until we start striking then it comes up. trained for over four years/sparred for two and still have this problem. how do i train to keep my chin down while striking?

Last edited:
focus. concentrate on it. have your sparring partner point it out everytime you raise your chin. eventually itll become habit. although if you havent gotten it in 4 years....

focus. concentrate on it. have your sparring partner point it out everytime you raise your chin. eventually itll become habit. although if you havent gotten it in 4 years....

well, i've only been sparring for like two years.

having your coach yell at you during sparring until you finally keep doing it is a good start:icon_chee

put a tennis ball under your chin and shadowbox if it falls you fail

I don't understand how you could have trained 4 years without resolving this issue. Does your trainer call you out for this? Seems like you were allowed to develop bad habits.

That's a tried and true method. Then again, you'd think that after getting hit a bunch of times it might sink in.

^This... and you can practice keeping your chin behind your punches by placing a piece of paper between your chin and shoulder while you are shadow boxing with a jab only.

I have the same problem. I've found that I get a little better at tucking my chin every time I get popped square in the face while sparring.

yep, works well. I also had a coach that would take a piece of athletic tape and tape it from the middle of my chin to the middle of my upper chest when doing shadowboxing, bag and pad work, tape pulls loose, chin came up!

Alternatively, you can learn to keep your chin down by making the mistake of keeping it up during a good hard sparring session....... get hit good and solid a couple of times and you will learn to keep it down!

do heavy bag sessions with a tennis ball tucked under your chin. serious.

I get punched in the chin hard enough. I used to drop my right hand a lot. My trainer get warning about this. Finally he kicked my in the jaw so hard I couldn't eat hard foods for a week. I never drop my right hand now.

This might sound odd, but it is simple and seems to work for boxers with this problem (not as uncommon as you'd think.) Always 'look through your eyebrows.' By looking through your eyebrows, your chin will naturally rest upon your chest. Stay chilled and relaxed, don't tense up and you'll find that this will work.

Cheers

Fran

I don't understand how you could have trained 4 years without resolving this issue. Does your trainer call you out for this? Seems like you were allowed to develop bad habits.

it's not my trainers fault since most of my sparring up until this point has been unsupervised. i used to only spar open gym and now i've finally started sparring with the fight team.

This might sound odd, but it is simple and seems to work for boxers with this problem (not as uncommon as you'd think.) Always 'look through your eyebrows.' By looking through your eyebrows, your chin will naturally rest upon your chest. Stay chilled and relaxed, don't tense up and you'll find that this will work.

Cheers

Fran

i'm gonna try this too. thanks.

Back