How do you strike a balance between training, work and life?

Monte Moku

Amateur Kickboxer
@purple
Reaction score
Hello, perhaps this is not the best place for this post, but I was not sure where else to put it. To put things simply, I work until 5:00, train until 8:00 (sometimes later) and I have to squeeze everything else into the short amount of time I have before work and before sleeping. I don't have a big circle of friends and they have their own lives, but I am only able to see them on weekends or if I am taking a rest day from training during the week. I can't help but wonder how so many of the guys at my gym have a large circle of friends, a relationship, a full time job and enough time to dedicate to training. How do you do it? As things are now, I feel I will be burnt out soon. I absolutely love training, but I feel my current lifestyle is very unbalanced and I need a mental break haha.

Last edited:
Depends on resources and your priorities

For example if you are a programmer who works from home its very easy to do all those things.

Also depends on your goals do you want to be pro, ammy, hobbyist, king of the local bar or gen pop in the yard so how much time you want to put into training because its always away from something else

If using myself as an example when i was an unsuccesful ammy fighter lol

I ran in the morning, worked construction during the day, trained in the evening.On weekends the usual see friends stuff plus training When not working construction i worked as a bouncer.

One of my opponents to who i lost and is going pro soon works in kindergarden which allows him to train 2 times a day and lets him be free on the weekends and lets him do all mma/friends/etc related stuff he wants pretty much

All about priorities and your resources (sorry for messy post its late here)

Depends on resources and your priorities

For example if you are a programmer who works from home its very easy to do all those things.

Also depends on your goals do you want to be pro, ammy, hobbyist, king of the local bar or gen pop in the yard so how much time you want to put into training because its always away from something else

If using myself as an example when i was an unsuccesful ammy fighter lol

I ran in the morning, worked construction during the day, trained in the evening.On weekends the usual see friends stuff plus training When not working construction i worked as a bouncer.

One of my opponents to who i lost and is going pro soon works in kindergarden which allows him to train 2 times a day and lets him be free on the weekends and lets him do all mma/friends/etc related stuff he wants pretty much

All about priorities and your resources (sorry for messy post its late here)

Your bring up some really good points, I'll have evaluate my priorities and go from there.

Hello, perhaps this is not the best place for this post, but I was not sure where else to put it. To put things simply, I work until 5:00, train until 8:00 (sometimes later) and I have to squeeze everything else into the short amount of time I have before work and before sleeping. I don't have big circle of friends and they have their own lives, but I am only able to see them on weekends or if I am taking a rest day from training during the week. I can't help but wonder how so many of the guys at my gym have a large circle of friends, a relationship, a full time job and enough time to dedicate to training. How do you do it? As things are now, I feel I will be burnt out soon. I absolutely love training, but I feel my current lifestyle is very unbalanced and I need a mental break haha.

I do not know how old you are, but when I was 16-22 I put a lot of my life into being a fighter and martial artist. I didn't make the leap from amateur to professional after going 6-1 in MMA and doing pretty well as an amateur boxer too, I let life get in the way and then time....

I have some questions for you in further detail, many of which @Cole train brought up. How old are you? What do you want from life? where are you in your career as a fighter, athlete and martial artist? Where do you want it to go?

When I was training and fighting, to me my career and life was that of a martial artist and a combat athlete. So I took jobs that best facilitated that (which with Covid-19 things are a little different right now but the premise still stands). I'd bounce at night clubs, do overnight security and work as a server for restaurants and I'd also coach at gyms and do corner work. Being a bouncer and server in general meant I had all day to train as I worked evenings, relatively good pay and short hours so I didn't have to sacrifice much sleep and could finagle some amount of a social, personal and sex life. Also hustling up sponsors helped a little too, when I could.

If you want to go beyond just being a regional level pro fighter, there's some realities you're going to have to accept. Your life will require a certain amount of selfishness and much more travel than a normal persons. You will need to make every right decision for yourself...Until you've made it far enough, coaches, gyms and management only do so much for you. You need to be your own nutritionist, you need to cross train at other gyms and disciplines, you need to hold yourself accountable for having tip top cardio and strength and conditioning beyond what you get from your gym. You should network and brand yourself, it helps with sponsors, training, opportunities, finding fights etc. Find and surround yourself with all the best people for your career and growth as a fighter. Be a student of all facets, a sponge, obsessed and certain.

Depending on where you live, you may need to relocate at some point to a gym that's equipped for pro fighters, and successful ones at that, with the right coaches, training partners and facilities for you personally. This may mean uprooting yourself and moving your whole life, a lot of guys really fell short for not being willing or not thinking it necessary to do this. Good habits take you far though, a clean nutritious diet, a good living environment, proper supplementation, rigorous stretching routines, mitigating distractions, good time management, prioritizing adequate sleep, being financially responsible and staying disciplined year round. Balance is important too though, the furthering of your education or knowledge (be it autodidactically or traditionally), exploring interests and new experiences, forming and growing friendships and relationships, traveling...seeing and experiencing the world. You do not stop being a person just like you do not stop being a martial artist.

Last edited:
training as a hobby 1 or 2 times a week is easy, if you keep it at just that, a hobby for fun, it shouldnt be getting in the way of "life". If you want to compete amatuer or pro, it is a lifestyle and it is very difficult to live a normal life with all the necessities/responsibilities that come with it and live the "fight lifestyle" as well. You will find a majority of the guys that are competing, dont work, or work very little, most of them still live at home with their parents, or are financially supported by a gf or something. working m-f 8-5 and training 5 or 6 days a week for 4 hours at a time is very difficult, its damn near impossible, but it can be done and I did it for years, but i was always tired and getting enough sleep was always a struggle, i frequently over slept and lost a few jobs due to coming to work late too often. Not sure if this is really what your looking for but the answer would be either, its extremely difficult, reduce/eliminate work, get some financial support elsewhere to free up your time to allow more time for training. theres only so many hours in a day and so much you can squeeze in, and strenous exercise requires adequate rest to recover. I would eat my lunch as quick as possible to take naps at work...sometimes I would take a quick power nap after work before hitting the gym. I would be up at 6 am, and home by about 10 pm everyday due to work/gym.........those are some long days. all my friends are/were gym related, and my entire life revolved around fighting and nothing else.

some good stuff in this thread already by samoan....ill add that you gotta be free, to be a top level fighter........so either on a homeless gym homo level, or supported some how or some way....you need the freedom to be able to get up and go to thailand for 6 months, then go fight in the UK, then come home to US or what not.........how many jobs will let you just get up and take off for 6 months? none that I know of......lets say you do manage to leave the country for training for several months........where will you live when you return? not your apt cause someone else is living in it, unless your rich enough to continue to pay rent while your gone..........these types of things are why i never went to thailand.........i could go, but would have no home or job to return to.........you need a responsibility free life, to just get up and go like that....which means none to little work........i know a lot of pros, without name dropping, and they are supported and still live with their parents. so going to thailand is no problem, work a crap job while you live rent free at parents house, go to thailand, once the money runs out......go back to moms and repeat the process. that or live in a gym and do the same thing more or less.

Last edited:
training as a hobby 1 or 2 times a week is easy, if you keep it at just that, a hobby for fun, it shouldnt be getting in the way of "life". If you want to compete amatuer or pro, it is a lifestyle and it is very difficult to live a normal life with all the necessities/responsibilities that come with it and live the "fight lifestyle" as well. You will find a majority of the guys that are competing, dont work, or work very little, most of them still live at home with their parents, or are financially supported by a gf or something. working m-f 8-5 and training 5 or 6 days a week for 4 hours at a time is very difficult, its damn near impossible, but it can be done and I did it for years, but i was always tired and getting enough sleep was always a struggle, i frequently over slept and lost a few jobs due to coming to work late too often. Not sure if this is really what your looking for but the answer would be either, its extremely difficult, reduce/eliminate work, get some financial support elsewhere to free up your time to allow more time for training. theres only so many hours in a day and so much you can squeeze in, and strenous exercise requires adequate rest to recover. I would eat my lunch as quick as possible to take naps at work...sometimes I would take a quick power nap after work before hitting the gym. I would be up at 6 am, and home by about 10 pm everyday due to work/gym.........those are some long days. all my friends are/were gym related, and my entire life revolved around fighting and nothing else.

some good stuff in this thread already by samoan....ill add that you gotta be free, to be a top level fighter........so either on a homeless gym homo level, or supported some how or some way....you need the freedom to be able to get up and go to thailand for 6 months, then go fight in the UK, then come home to US or what not.........how many jobs will let you just get up and take off for 6 months? none that I know of......lets say you do manage to leave the country for training for several months........where will you live when you return? not your apt cause someone else is living in it, unless your rich enough to continue to pay rent while your gone..........these types of things are why i never went to thailand.........i could go, but would have no home or job to return to.........you need a responsibility free life, to just get up and go like that....which means none to little work........i know a lot of pros, without name dropping, and they are supported and still live with their parents. so going to thailand is no problem, work a crap job while you live rent free at parents house, go to thailand, once the money runs out......go back to moms and repeat the process. that or live in a gym and do the same thing more or less.

AirBnB actually solves a lot of these issues for people living in transition that can't get into leases and or lack established credit. It wasn't prevalent when I was younger like it is now.

I'm going to say this, you can make it work between working, training and having a life without being destitute, I certainly did. But you have to be very self disciplined, intelligent, aware of the risks and incredibly hungry.

Most of the guys who make it, even the freakishly talented ones in the UFC, Glory or wherever...They made it by doing everything right, by making those leaps in life based on their own self belief and desire, staying incredibly driven and disciplined, being intelligent and resourceful with training and who they surrounded themselves with. For every D1 wrestler, amazing amateur boxer or freak in the Gym some trainer swears is the next world champion theres 5-10-20 similar guys that failed, gave up or lost themselves along the way due to self discipline, injuries, life etc.

Last edited:
I do not know how old you are, but when I was 16-22 I put a lot of my life into being a fighter and martial artist. I didn't make the leap from amateur to professional after going 6-1 in MMA and doing pretty well as an amateur boxer too, I let life get in the way and then time....

I have some questions for you in further detail, many of which @Cole train brought up. How old are you? What do you want from life? where are you in your career as a fighter, athlete and martial artist? Where do you want it to go?

When I was training and fighting, to me my career and life was that of a martial artist and a combat athlete. So I took jobs that best facilitated that (which with Covid-19 things are a little different right now but the premise still stands). I'd bounce at night clubs, do overnight security and work as a server for restaurants and I'd also coach at gyms and do corner work. Being a bouncer and server in general meant I had all day to train as I worked evenings, relatively good pay and short hours so I didn't have to sacrifice much sleep and could finagle some amount of a social, personal and sex life. Also hustling up sponsors helped a little too, when I could.

If you want to go beyond just being a regional level pro fighter, there's some realities you're going to have to accept. Your life will require a certain amount of selfishness and much more travel than a normal persons. You will need to make every right decision for yourself...Until you've made it far enough, coaches, gyms and management only do so much for you. You need to be your own nutritionist, you need to cross train at other gyms and disciplines, you need to hold yourself accountable for having tip top cardio and strength and conditioning beyond what you get from your gym. You should network and brand yourself, it helps with sponsors, training, opportunities, finding fights etc. Find and surround yourself with all the best people for your career and growth as a fighter. Be a student of all facets, a sponge, obsessed and certain.

Depending on where you live, you may need to relocate at some point to a gym that's equipped for pro fighters, and successful ones at that, with the right coaches, training partners and facilities for you personally. This may mean uprooting yourself and moving your whole life, a lot of guys really fell short for not being willing or not thinking it necessary to do this. Good habits take you far though, a clean nutritious diet, a good living environment, proper supplementation, rigorous stretching routines, mitigating distractions, good time management, prioritizing adequate sleep, being financially responsible and staying disciplined year round. Balance is important too though, the furthering of your education or knowledge (be it autodidactically or traditionally), exploring interests and new experiences, forming and growing friendships and relationships, traveling...seeing and experiencing the world. You do not stop being a person just like you do not stop being a martial artist.

I'm about to turn 22. To be honest I'm not really sure what I want in life. I've had a dream of going pro in Kickboxing or moving to Thailand and going that route instead for a while. I visited Thailand for two months last year, learned and trained a lot, and I have been training consistently, for the most part, since I got back. I had a smoker fight in August last year and although I sucked, I had a lot of fun. Ever since I began training (when I was 19), I have loved it and I haven't really been able to think of much else I could do for a living that could make me happy. My belief in myself wavers sometimes though, and I question if I could make the necessary sacrifices to become a fighter. I have a lot of hobbies, but martial arts feels like more than a hobby for me -- at the same time I don't know if I have what it takes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could never live rent free or be financially supported in such a way by my parents hahaha. You bring up really good points, the money aspect is something I have been trying to figure out for a while now and at the moment I don't have the skill set for a remote job of some sort (I met a few Americans in Thailand who were programmers working remotely for half the year!), and savings can only last so long... Sometimes I wish I was born into a rich family haha.

Hello, perhaps this is not the best place for this post, but I was not sure where else to put it. To put things simply, I work until 5:00, train until 8:00 (sometimes later) and I have to squeeze everything else into the short amount of time I have before work and before sleeping. I don't have a big circle of friends and they have their own lives, but I am only able to see them on weekends or if I am taking a rest day from training during the week. I can't help but wonder how so many of the guys at my gym have a large circle of friends, a relationship, a full time job and enough time to dedicate to training. How do you do it? As things are now, I feel I will be burnt out soon. I absolutely love training, but I feel my current lifestyle is very unbalanced and I need a mental break haha.

I'm about to turn 22. To be honest I'm not really sure what I want in life. I've had a dream of going pro in Kickboxing or moving to Thailand and going that route instead for a while. I visited Thailand for two months last year, learned and trained a lot, and I have been training consistently, for the most part, since I got back. I had a smoker fight in August last year and although I sucked, I had a lot of fun. Ever since I began training (when I was 19), I have loved it and I haven't really been able to think of much else I could do for a living that could make me happy. My belief in myself wavers sometimes though, and I question if I could make the necessary sacrifices to become a fighter. I have a lot of hobbies, but martial arts feels like more than a hobby for me -- at the same time I don't know if I have what it takes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could never live rent free or be financially supported in such a way by my parents hahaha. You bring up really good points, the money aspect is something I have been trying to figure out for a while now and at the moment I don't have the skill set for a remote job of some sort (I met a few Americans in Thailand who were programmers working remotely for half the year!), and savings can only last so long... Sometimes I wish I was born into a rich family haha.
You took the smoker after two years of training, including two months in Thailand, or am I messing up the timeline?

anyways, the main pieces of advice I give my ammy fighters is:

1. STAY OUT OF DEBT. Being able to train as much as it takes to go pro means not working much. This is only possible if
Your monthly nut is small. No car payments, no credit card debts, no sofas or beds on credit. Keep your bills to a bare minimum.

2. DONT GET ANYONE PREGNANT. I love my daughter but she is a ball and chain, not my wife. Training and trying to be a father is tough and only assholes choose to be selfish instead of a present and loving parent.

3. find work that will let you train. I was a Baker when I was competing as a fighter. I’d work 4am til noon and then go home And run, take care of chores and stuff around the house, train from 5-7 or 6-8, Be Home And in bed by 9, and repeat. If I had to work on a fight day it sucked but wasn’t impossible.

Good luck man

I'm 26 and moving out to Los Angeles in the fall, most likely I will start training out of Kings MMA. While I still have time, I'd like to put everything I have into training and fighting. Long term, its not the worst investment either, coaching opportunities will always be there if you're decent, commentating at regional level shows if you're articulate anrd have the mind for it, having a MMA related podcast (I had a sociopolitical podcast 2 years ago that did fairly well), branding and marketing yourself through social media, being a writer or interviewer within the sport. I'm also considering finishing my Anthropology degree Id love being a field Anthropologist. I've worked as a writer and editor for websites before. I have a real passion for filmmaking and script writing, its another thing I plan to further pursue in LA. You know, I don't have a finite idea of what Id like to do in life, as Im always changing, exploring and learning but I do know managing a restaurant for 50k a year made me miserable and the looming cloud of regret and self loathing that hung over me everyday because I spent 45 hours a week doing something I hate for the last 19 months was suffocating....I will never get that time back.

If you love training and fighting half as much as you say you do, you owe it to yourself to find out if you have what it takes, if you really want this. You're 21, you have time....but never enough time.

A few things, you live in the U.S.? There's not nearly as much money or future in Kickboxing as there is in MMA or Boxing. Consider making the necessary risks/actions, I think among the people who have responded you've gotten a fair amount of insight and a decent framing to form a blueprint for yourself. What do you really have to lose? What are your reservations and doubts? Peoples lives are often regrettably defined by the risks they never take.

Last edited:

i nearly moved to thailand at 22, but didnt want to leave my gf who is now my wife, I was renting a aparatment and had a job, and same thing as mentioned before, if i left the country, I would have no where to return to, temporarily, to get back on my feet again. I was kicked out at a young age and basically have no family to make a long story short. If you still live with your parents, even if they make you pay rent, im willing to bet if you take off to thailand for x amount of time....they will allow you to live with them when you return, and most likely expect to you pay rent again once you get a job again..........that is a opportunity I didnt have. If you do have that opportunity, I would suggest taking advantage of it. I guess long story short, take advantage of the opportunity you do have. I would suggest going for a extended time. Shoot for 6 months is you can, if not go for 3. Just cause you go for 3 or 6 months doesnt mean your totally commiting to martial arts for your life or what not.......do it for the experience and taste test and you can go from there. and if you decide not fight anymore or what not, you can at least say you did. Also, you will learn in months over there, what will take you years here......so in a sense, your wasting time training here. What takes you 5 years to learn here will take you 1 over there for example. Also its a young mans sport...whatever your gonna do with the sport......you better get on it and do it now. Yes you can fight when your older etc. but its better to be doing it at 27 then 37........and better at 17 than 27.

depends on what you consider balance.

for me it was pretty easy, i'd work 40 hours a week, then i'd spend 8 hours a week training/teaching, and the rest of the time i was chilling before the navy. in the navy i did almost no training because i didn't have much free time.

now i'm transitioning back into some training and starting off with one day a week, particularly since i'm working 55+ hours a week now

You took the smoker after two years of training, including two months in Thailand, or am I messing up the timeline?

anyways, the main pieces of advice I give my ammy fighters is:

1. STAY OUT OF DEBT. Being able to train as much as it takes to go pro means not working much. This is only possible if
Your monthly nut is small. No car payments, no credit card debts, no sofas or beds on credit. Keep your bills to a bare minimum.

2. DONT GET ANYONE PREGNANT. I love my daughter but she is a ball and chain, not my wife. Training and trying to be a father is tough and only assholes choose to be selfish instead of a present and loving parent.

3. find work that will let you train. I was a Baker when I was competing as a fighter. I’d work 4am til noon and then go home And run, take care of chores and stuff around the house, train from 5-7 or 6-8, Be Home And in bed by 9, and repeat. If I had to work on a fight day it sucked but wasn’t impossible.

Good luck man

I took the fight after training for two years, but before my trip to Thailand. The smoker was in late August, and I left for Thailand in early September. And thank you for the advice, I've started to think about switching jobs and how I can coordinate doing that (financially).

I'm 26 and moving out to Los Angeles in the fall, most likely I will start training out of Kings MMA. While I still have time, I'd like to put everything I have into training and fighting. Long term, its not the worst investment either, coaching opportunities will always be there if you're decent, commentating at regional level shows if you're articulate anrd have the mind for it, having a MMA related podcast (I had a sociopolitical podcast 2 years ago that did fairly well), branding and marketing yourself through social media, being a writer or interviewer within the sport. I'm also considering finishing my Anthropology degree Id love being a field Anthropologist. I've worked as a writer and editor for websites before. I have a real passion for filmmaking and script writing, its another thing I plan to further pursue in LA. You know, I don't have a finite idea of what Id like to do in life, as Im always changing, exploring and learning but I do know managing a restaurant for 50k a year made me miserable and the looming cloud of regret and self loathing that hung over me everyday because I spent 45 hours a week doing something I hate for the last 19 months was suffocating....I will never get that time back.

If you love training and fighting half as much as you say you do, you owe it to yourself to find out if you have what it takes, if you really want this. You're 21, you have time....but never enough time.

A few things, you live in the U.S.? There's not nearly as much money or future in Kickboxing as there is in MMA or Boxing. Consider making the necessary risks/actions, I think among the people who have responded you've gotten a fair amount of insight and a decent framing to form a blueprint for yourself. What do you really have to lose? What are your reservations and doubts? Peoples lives are often regrettably defined by the risks they never take.

I'm glad you're still pursuing your passions man! And yep I live in the US, there are a few places in the states I think are growing, but fighting (or at least training) in Asia or Europe is likely the better option.

I mainly doubt if I am cut out to be at the top, or at least disciplined enough to do what it takes to be the best fighter I can be. I think partially that's natural, though.

i nearly moved to thailand at 22, but didnt want to leave my gf who is now my wife, I was renting a aparatment and had a job, and same thing as mentioned before, if i left the country, I would have no where to return to, temporarily, to get back on my feet again. I was kicked out at a young age and basically have no family to make a long story short. If you still live with your parents, even if they make you pay rent, im willing to bet if you take off to thailand for x amount of time....they will allow you to live with them when you return, and most likely expect to you pay rent again once you get a job again..........that is a opportunity I didnt have. If you do have that opportunity, I would suggest taking advantage of it. I guess long story short, take advantage of the opportunity you do have. I would suggest going for a extended time. Shoot for 6 months is you can, if not go for 3. Just cause you go for 3 or 6 months doesnt mean your totally commiting to martial arts for your life or what not.......do it for the experience and taste test and you can go from there. and if you decide not fight anymore or what not, you can at least say you did. Also, you will learn in months over there, what will take you years here......so in a sense, your wasting time training here. What takes you 5 years to learn here will take you 1 over there for example. Also its a young mans sport...whatever your gonna do with the sport......you better get on it and do it now. Yes you can fight when your older etc. but its better to be doing it at 27 then 37........and better at 17 than 27.

I really, really want to move out and get a place of my own, but staying at home is much more lucrative. I don't dislike living with my parents, I guess I just feel like I should be on my own by now. I have to sort out a plan and follow it though, and it's something I'll have to figure out soon.

All pro guys i knew did not work jobs and were supported by parents/sponsors

Most were actually rich kids because their parents had money to support them like that.

I would not have had resources tbe pro (nor the talent lmao)

felt i need to clarify my previous post.
the 'balance' is based on your priorities.

to me karate was essentially the reason i lived, and i worked to support that, and my leisure time.

in the navy, work had to come first, because well...i could literally go to jail if ended up being late because lost track of time training.

now, i have a gf i love very much with two wonderful animals who are stupidly needy, who i need to support. as much as i'd like to get back into some regular and serious training, until my gf graduates and gets a job in her field or until training/teach can support us all it takes a back seat to family, and then to work.

I really, really want to move out and get a place of my own, but staying at home is much more lucrative. I don't dislike living with my parents, I guess I just feel like I should be on my own by now. I have to sort out a plan and follow it though, and it's something I'll have to figure out soon.

take advantage of that opportunity while you can. those trips to thailand will be much more difficult later on

Back