How do you see fighters with

ehxsur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
two nationalities or different roots/birthplace than the country they represent/fight for? for example, you see Ngannou as a Camerounnian or French ? , Stipe as a croatian or an american? , Izzy as a New Zealand guy or Nigerian one? , Volk as a aussie or a Macedonian? Artem as a russian or irish ?

It's kinda weird about Ngannou thought, in some fight the french flag was near his name, in other it was the cameroon one, who choose this? The fighter? the UFC? it's based on your birthplace? your gym you train for? the country you live actualy? your passport ? others?

For Ngannou it would be more smart to keep the french flag to sell more in europa, UFC is coming soon to France btw, everybody knows he is from Africa by his roots

Of course fighters are whatever they feel like as person, a Stipe surely feel as croatian as american, but as a fan watching them, how do you see them?

I don't know all the details at all but I remember someone saying they only let me choose 1 flag this time so that's weird. If that is the case in some events you could see a guy repping one at one event and his other at another just because they didn't let him have both. You see guys with one on each side etc.before but idk. As far as your specific question, I honestly don't care, i'm fully indifferent to how someone wants to go about that stuff. About the who chooses, the fighter chooses the flag imo and the org puts where they were born on some stuff like tale of the tape and fighting out of on other stuff.

I think everyone should just be like Genki Sudo...
violent-bob-ross-luis-pena-negative.jpg

As long as origins are legit - who cares- Let them choose as they please for whatever reason ??????

I don't know all the details at all but I remember someone saying they only let me choose 1 flag this time so that's weird. If that is the case in some events you could see a guy repping one at one event and his other at another just because they didn't let him have both. You see guys with one on each side etc.before but idk. As far as your specific question, I honestly don't care, i'm fully indifferent to how someone wants to go about that stuff. About the who chooses, the fighter chooses the flag imo and the org puts where they were born on some stuff like tale of the tape and fighting out of on other stuff.

If only it were true nowdays

I second this. Genki is a wise man.

Nationalism in sports can be fun but sometimes people take it too far. People in the business world know that it's a global world. The UFC is just using it as a way to promote and expand into the global market. It works though because fans tend to get attached to fighters that they identify with.

I thought they had some with a different flag on each side?
If their heritage is from another country, but they werent born there, thats fairly cheesy. If they were born there, Who really cares?

I just follow their lead tbh. Both Jeremy Stephens and Cain consider themselves mexican fighters, who am I to argue?

Mike perry identifies as black, so he's black. Ironically, this is the one aspect of the "I identify as" phenomenon that I have no problem with

two nationalities or different roots/birthplace than the country they represent/fight for? for example, you see Ngannou as a Camerounnian or French ? , Stipe as a croatian or an american? , Izzy as a New Zealand guy or Nigerian one? , Volk as a aussie or a Macedonian? Artem as a russian or irish ?

It's kinda weird about Ngannou thought, in some fight the french flag was near his name, in other it was the cameroon one, who choose this? The fighter? the UFC? it's based on your birthplace? your gym you train for? the country you live actualy? your passport ? others?

For Ngannou it would be more smart to keep the french flag to sell more in europa, UFC is coming soon to France btw, everybody knows he is from Africa by his roots

Of course fighters are whatever they feel like as person, a Stipe surely feel as croatian as american, but as a fan watching them, how do you see them?
When it comes to this issue it depends on how strong the culture is with the fighter. Speaking the language, the household they grew up in, do they understand the culture and customs, etc. There are plenty of Asian Americans for example that actually have strong ties with their culture and then there are those that are completely whitewashed for lack of a better word and can't even use a pair of chopsticks. From your list, Volk doesn't really seem to represent anything about Macedonian. Izzy on the other hand actually speaks Yoruba and was raised in a Nigerian household, as the viewer you can clearly see that he has Nigerian roots. Ngannou spent most of his life in Cameroon so that's an easy one. Stipe is the one that ppl constantly debate about.

It doesn't matter at all to me. There are people in the US who go on about "I'm Italian", or "I'm Irish" or what not, even though they're generations removed from living there. My grandmother was inordinately proud of my family's Irish heritage, which was really weird because she was of mostly Polish and Belgian ancestry, without a drop of Irish blood of which I am aware. Not counting Native Americans, parts of my family have been in North America since before the Mayflower, so it seems silly to me to claim any particular European ancestry.

Don't care where they're from, what they pray, how they talk, who they put their parts into. As long as they're exciting fighter and not burning babies. They taste better medium rare.

Doesn’t matter to me. Be entertaining and/or dominant when you fight... that’s all I care.

Last edited:

I see them as both. It's not an either/or thing, but answers to two separate question: that of national allegiance, and that of bloodline.

Back