How do you recover after getting knocked about ?

SKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey

I just got back from training. Got knocked around quite a bit by the instructor.

Do any of you guys have any pointers on how to recover better from the headaches and associated feeling which comes from getting hit ? At the moment I just drink water and rest. Anything else which could help ?

Vitamins and an asprin are probably not a bad idea. Get some sleep as well.

Cool, I'll take a multi vitamin.

Like rest is obviouslty important, just wondering if there are any other things which can speed up recovery

Got to agree, vitamins, water & a lot of sleep are the key.

The only other thing is baths of ice water, I know alot of atheletes that do this. Good for sorting out pulls & bruising.
I wouldn't be able to get up to run the morning after sparring pre-fight if i didn't sit in the bath for 10 mins everynight to sort out my battered legs.

Water and advil liquid gels..those things are f-ing awesome!

Primarily a good diet. Nothing is better for your health than that. You will stay healthy and recover quickly with a balanced diet of meat, vegies, carbs, salads, etc. Stay away from junk food. Do this and you will be fine.

I second the diet and general healthy living. I might not take aspirin, since it is a blood thinner. If you had a small bleed or brain bruise it might hinder healing. Ge hydrated before and during the workout. Your brain need fluid around it to cushion properly, and being 10% dehydrated will affect your cerebrospinal fluid volume.

water.....hottub...good food(eat clean) and lots of rest man...and by rest i mean sleep!

scorcho said:
Vitamins and an asprin are probably not a bad idea. Get some sleep as well.

Not aspirin, it'll KILL your stomach. Aleve (naproxen sodium) or advil (ibuprofen) are better choices, plus they actually reduce swelling as well as reduce pain.

You'll get used to it eventually, until then, rub some dirt on it.

if ur talkin bout concussion type knockin around, eat some chocolate or somethin with a lot of sugar as soon as u finish trainin , i dont no y but that seems 2 help a lot.

beatin'stick said:
I second the diet and general healthy living. I might not take aspirin, since it is a blood thinner. If you had a small bleed or brain bruise it might hinder healing. Ge hydrated before and during the workout. Your brain need fluid around it to cushion properly, and being 10% dehydrated will affect your cerebrospinal fluid volume.

thats a good point about the blood thinning, aspirin is an anti coagaluant.

I dont have any tips on the concussions, but on the OTC medication I would suggest the Advil Liqui-gels too.

Aspirin is a blood thinner and if taken in a worthwhile dose (after a fight or heavy sparring) would likely hurt your stomach.

I dont eat much before or after a fight, so my stomach gets upset if I take too many pills.

Acetimoniphen (Tylenol) is horrible on your liver especially if you are a "high protein diet" kind of person, and Aleve had some sort of news blurb not too long ago about complications when taking it.....I dont know the facts, but I remember it was enough to make me quit taking it (it was the best for headaches).

Do Not Take Aspirin If You've Sustained Head Trauma.

Repeat

If you are expecting headaches after each class, I strongly recommend changing schools....listen to your body; it is sending you a strong message.

On the other hand, it is possible that your instructor was trying to convey a message...perhaps, you were being rough on other less skilled students or something like that.

chlorox said:
If you are expecting headaches after each class, I strongly recommend changing schools....listen to your body; it is sending you a strong message.

On the other hand, it is possible that your instructor was trying to convey a message...perhaps, you were being rough on other less skilled students or something like that.

speak 4 urself bro

deadlyshaolin said:

Repeat

REPEATED again. I went to/work at UCLA.

DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN IF U"VE SUSTAINED HEAD TRAUMA.

Aneurisms and concussions are not friendly when ur blood is thin and full of anti-coagulents.

I just started training standup as well. I've been having the same problem. I already have a good diet and take a multi everyday. I've also been taking advil after sparring, but it still takes me about 2 days to start feeling better. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can condition myself to be able to handle more punches/kicks?

SKD said:
Hey

I just got back from training. Got knocked around quite a bit by the instructor.

Do any of you guys have any pointers on how to recover better from the headaches and associated feeling which comes from getting hit ? At the moment I just drink water and rest. Anything else which could help ?

I usually just get some rest right after practice. Also, I take advil and sometimes I put ice on my bruises to help the swelling go down. Heh, I also go out and get something to eat...while drinking eight glasses of water.

Back