How do you rate Kazushi Sakuraba?

Saku is probably my fave all time. However, one of the hardest things to do as a fan is separate fact from nostalgia. Fedor is also my other fave, but I think a prime DC beats him.

IF Saku was around, he would probably fight WW or maybe even LW with similar sized guys like Lee and Khabob. Could he have beat Khabib or Douglas Lima? I don't think so. Could he have even taken down MVP and subbed him? Dicey, dicey!

And I think that is where I diverge from many long term fans as I think the game has greatly increased from those days. A guy like Vitor was considered "the Michael Jordan of BJJ" but gets mauled by modern white belts on the ground like Jones did. It hurts me to even say it, as I don't think a guy like MVP is super elite in today's MMA world, but the game has changed so much. I mean, would Gene Tunney even be able to compete with someone like Canelo today? I do not think so.
if he came around today, or if Tunney did for that matter, they would train with modern fighters in modern gyms - theyd both look a lot better than they look on film.
MMA was in its infancy, with a shallow talent pool and little financial incentive when Saku was really good. Pride grew MMA and made it worthwhile to devote your life to it... i think we actually saw a greater talent pool come in and wreck guys like Saku. As much as many people bag on that generation after the Gracies, Shamrocks, Saku, etc., unlike those the Jackson’s, Silvas, Overeems, Ruas actually remained relevant for a long time, which shows that it was a sport now entering its prime financially with a much larger talent pool.
On this note, boxing was a big deal in Tunney’s time. He was likely a top end athlete to come out on top of that talent pool. With modern training he likely would be competitive as a LHW.
Saku would be able to compete against smaller guys than he had to compete against, so i think that would negate much of the era effect. he would probably be a decent welterweight... maybe something like Gunnar Nelson.

if he came around today, or if Tunney did for that matter, they would train with modern fighters in modern gyms - theyd both look a lot better than they look on film.
MMA was in its infancy, with a shallow talent pool and little financial incentive when Saku was really good. Pride grew MMA and made it worthwhile to devote your life to it... i think we actually saw a greater talent pool come in and wreck guys like Saku. As much as many people bag on that generation after the Gracies, Shamrocks, Saku, etc., unlike those the Jackson’s, Silvas, Overeems, Ruas actually remained relevant for a long time, which shows that it was a sport now entering its prime financially with a much larger talent pool.
On this note, boxing was a big deal in Tunney’s time. He was likely a top end athlete to come out on top of that talent pool. With modern training he likely would be competitive as a LHW.
Saku would be able to compete against smaller guys than he had to compete against, so i think that would negate much of the era effect. he would probably be a decent welterweight... maybe something like Gunnar Nelson.
I agree, I think the hypothetical argument is if we had time machines and could just transport history fighters to modern day and vice versa. Tunney was probably my favorite boxer, was a true man ahead of his time, same with Saku. He gets ished on around these pasts at time for his striking but I thought he was brilliant for his time, a true Japanese wild man!

Sakuraba was never a light heavyweight. He just fought lots of light heavyweights. He weighed in for the light heavyweight Grand Prix in Pride at 192. As some have said, he was a welterweight and indeed, smaller than a lot of welterweights.

Vitor gets subbed by white belts. I mean if Jon Jones could do it anyone could do it right?

Hahahaha, yes, exactly. At least armbarring Jon Jones and hyper-extending his elbow puts him in the upper echelon of white belts.

Sakuraba was never a light heavyweight. He just fought lots of light heavyweights. He weighed in for the light heavyweight Grand Prix in Pride at 192. As some have said, he was a welterweight and indeed, smaller than a lot of welterweights.
vlcsnap-2020-01-18-08h33m29s138.png

greatest fighter of all time

though im biased.

He's a divisionless fighter. Can't rank him the standard route. P4P is for small fighters who fight big like him. Saku, Fedor and Penn are the biggest legends on such a list...of really gladiators.

The embodiment of a true mixed martial artist and one of the all-time greats. There's a reason he gets such a universal level of respect from fighters and knowledgeable fans. War Saku.

Wandy broke his face, broke his collarbone . . . .

All the fights cited above took place long ago. How many years must pass before spoilers expire? Oh by the way, Cain defeated Abel.

All the fights cited above took place long ago. How many years must pass before spoilers expire? Oh by the way, Cain defeated Abel.
And the fights ya quoted were brand new, right?

Cain then defeated Big Foot, ya fool.

b wtf.gif

Last edited:
I would favour saku in a ring vs gps

but gps aint man enough

Back