How do you rate Alexander Gustafsson among the best strikers at LHW...

SL9

Believe
Reaction score
Well I'd say he is in the top 3, with the other 2 being Lyoto Machida and Jon Jones.

Having watched Shogun/Gus again I was more impressed.

What do you think?

He has the most dangerous hands at the weight and a great chin. That alone gives him a chance to stop Machida who has an average chin and can be hit when he is tracked down.

I'd like to see him fight Glover. Put both hype trains on the same track.

Has he ever landed the uppercut?

19wq55.gif
24y7gbo.gif

ztc7c3.gif
214xbiw.gif

A few times...

Top 3 seems reasonable. Who is better depends on what you're looking for.

Unless Gustafsson tighten up his boxing defense he will lose. While he's got a great chin for now, taking too many shots will eventually crack it. He's got a while to go before he can bring it to Jones. Taking punches to the face is one thing but he gets elbowed and cut, there's a high chance he might be blind from the blood in his eye and then he will get picked apart. What I'm really trying to say here is he needs to be a more conservative striker and not just trade punches because someone will eventually catch him.

pfff he never did that backflip slinging hook kick mounted on a laser shark!

How do you guys even dare calling him top striker.

I see he landed it against Thiago Silva. All I remembered is his 100 attempts vs Shogun with no success.

I'd like to see more kicks from Gus.

1 Anderson (when he fights there)
2 Machida
3 Jones

Those three are light years ahead of the rest.

I'm not sure I'd hold Gus higher than L'il Nog or Hendo or Rashad or Teixeira yet, because Gus hasn't finished any top guys yet. Look what Machida did to Thiago Silva, and compare that to how Gus dealt with him. He needs to become more powerful and incisive to set himself apart from the best of the rest IMO.

A huge elbow from Jones that would KO a lot of people didn't stop Machida, neither did a huge shot from Shogun. Neither KO'd him.

Amir Khan has never been out cold, either. He still has a questionable chin.

He can take a shot and give a shot. That's what I think. I think that's also very important. If Machida could take a shot like Henderson man would he be good, I would even put him up to win against Jones. Remember kids, Bones did drop Lyoto and then choked him out.

Gus is great though. He beat Shogun in a heated battle. Was a fun fight to watch.

Remember kids, Bones did drop Lyoto and then choked him out.

Look at the great fighters Machida has faced and count how many times he has been dropped. Twice? In how many years of fighting top guys?

Is he elusive? Yes, but he also leaves his hands down a lot.

When there is discussion of the best chin in MMA, ALL of the guys on the list have been dropped. Except BJ (and maybe Hendo?).

My point is that Machida's chin should not be considered just average. It has been tested against top comp with excellent -- but not perfect -- results.

Well I'd say he is in the top 3, with the other 2 being Lyoto Machida and Jon Jones.

Having watched Shogun/Gus again I was more impressed.

What do you think?

1. Machida
2. Jon Jones
3. Gus

Back