How do YOU pronounce Jalapeno?

I've always pronounced it like "Hal-ah-pen-yo."

Much to my agitation, my newly-minted wife pronounces the word "Halla-peen-oh."

Then I've heard it pronounced "Hal-uh-pen-oh" and "hal-ah-peen-yo."

Is it regional? How do you say the word?

I say it like your wife. You say it like one of those people who turns into the ethnicity of whatever word they are saying for the duration of that word. Like people who say Meh-he-co or Frawnce or Frawn-sey.

Last edited:
Another mistake I think I made was not reading the thread title properly. The discussion seemed to evolve into "how SHOULD you say the word", when in fact it's how do YOU pronounce it. So there shouldn't be any wrong answers. My bad. :icon_chee

hah-lah-PEHN-yo

No matter the subtleties of the pronunciation it needs to end with a "yo" sound.

Peenyo, painyo?

Like the Spanish folks in Spain, they (and this guy) speak very fast. :icon_chee

But, the issue for me is trying to write down what a guy is saying... it's impossible.

How you hear "peenyo" may be different than how I'm hearing "peenyo" or I'm not writing the correct way to convey what I'm hearing to match what you're hearing.

It's impossible.

I think post # 2 should have been a youtube video of a Spanish guy saying it. Boom, question answered.

An audible answer by an authentic Spanish guy, rather than people awkwardly trying to write down how to say it.

The chips were good anyways. :icon_lol:

Vocaroo bro

I say it like your wife. You say it like one of those people who turns into the ethnicity of whatever word they are saying for the duration of that word. Like people who say Meh-he-co or Frawnce or Frawn-sey.

The Bellator announcer is a great example of this. Whenever he says Brazil--he's in the middle of a sentence that is spoken in the English, mind you--he pronounces "brah-zeew," like he's bragging that he knows how to pronounce it in Portugues. We get it, you're cool, dude. But in English, which is the language you were speakin a second ago, it's pronounced bruh-zil. I would expect a Brazilian announcer to all of a sudden try and announce "United States of America" in a faux American accent while doing his spiel. I'd expect him to say Estados Unidos da America, and pronounce it in a Portuguese accent.

This should have been posted in the pet peeves thread someone made once, I realize that now.

Spanish is so weird, Some time they pronounce J's like Y's and other times H's. For example the work Jobs is often pronounced as Yobs. Where as Jalapenos is Halapenos.

I wouldn't put pronouncing Jalapeno in the same category as someone going all out with words like France. Most of those have their own English word. with Jalapeno, it's the same word. You can pronounce it fairly close while not putting an over emphasis on some of the sounds and not come off like a douche. Far from saying "francais" or something. If you continue to say "hala peen oh" for no reason other than trying to avoid being "one of those types" then you might be just as bad. Seano just continually shows he has issues with anything related to race, ethnicity, cultures, etc.

Are people doing something wrong for pronouncing Tortilla more properly? Or would you rather everyone pronounce the L sounds to avoid being some douche? People do the same with fajita, etc.

I think I was in the KFC drive-thru, when I heard a good ole' boy, say "jal-a-peen-o". The jal part sounding like Al, but w/ a J.

It made me cringe and laugh at the same time.

I have also heard. "ja-lap-uh-no"

I've always pronounced it like "Hal-ah-pen-yo."

Much to my agitation, my newly-minted wife pronounces the word "Halla-peen-oh."

Then I've heard it pronounced "Hal-uh-pen-oh" and "hal-ah-peen-yo."

Is it regional? How do you say the word?

After reading all the responses, I think you're better off with the way you say it.

Probably the only word where people purposefully say it wrong cause it's fun. I always say Pneumonia - Pin-nu-monia too..

Holla peen yo

I purposely pronounce it wrong: gel-app-in-oh.

I use this one as well as Gel APP uh no and Jal a peeno when I want to raise eyebrows.

I do the same with wines. Mer LOT and Cabber net savig non, peanut noyer.

I try to do it with a straight face when I can.

Hal-uh-PEEN-yo, or hal-uh-Pen-yo

I didn't capitalize that because it says peen, but because that's where the emphasis lies.

Probably the only word where people purposefully say it wrong cause it's fun. I always say Pneumonia - Pin-nu-monia too..

I don't ever get to say this word. Pneumatic, sometimes, but almost never Pneumonia. I even had pneumonia as a kid, but nobody ever wants to listen to me, let alone listen to my stories about my childhood.

Back