How do YOU pronounce Jalapeno?

I read a story about the Jalapeno being shown to Americans on I believe the Johnny Carson show. Johnny made jokes on how to pronounce it and said it like 20 different ways. Well when the Mexican who set up the interview and who was responsible for the segment saw it, he was pissed and thought Johnny was making a mockery of Mexican culture. He was mad until his sales skyrocketed over night! And then he realized he shouldn't be so upset.

First and only time in human history that someone sacrificed their beliefs and set aside their morals for money.

When I'm at a restaurant, I like to order my food with "extra jalla-penis" because I "like it hot."

They usually don't try to correct me. Also, my food usually tastes like spit.

Reminds me of this kid who (unfortunately) used to sit with us at lunch sometimes one year in high school. He would go up to the 60 year-old lunch ladies and order a fajita, but to be a wise-ass, he'd pronounce it "fuh-JUY-duh." You know, so it kind of sounded like vagina.

He thought he was cool.

Reminds me of this kid who (unfortunately) used to sit with us at lunch sometimes one year in high school. He would go up to the 60 year-old lunch ladies and order a fajita, but to be a wise-ass, he'd pronounce it "fuh-JUY-duh." You know, so it kind of sounded like vagina.

He thought he was cool.

I don't believe a word of it.

A kid that would say that would simply be too cool for school. Thus, how do you expect anyone to believe that you went to school with this supposed "kid?"

I'm pretty sure spanish syllabuls are always supposed to be pronounced the same regardless of the word(unlike English).

For example, there's no long or short vowels. The letter A is always pronounced as "ah." The letter E is always "eh," no matter what comes before or after.

At least that's how it is here near the Mexican border.

So Ja-la-pe-no is pronounced Ha-la-pen-yo.

Oh yea, and the emphasis is always on the second to last syllabul unless the word contains an accent, in which case the emphasis is on the syllabul with the accent in it.

So it's ha-la-PEN-yo

Lol, I knew there would be jokes as soon as I read "Cuban version." That sounded like Super Mario.

Do Puerto Rican, do it. Do it.

oh man, my Puerto Rican sounds exactly the same as my Cuban version. Maybe somebody else can do one.

Back