How do you maximize recovery after evening BJJ training?

I make sure to stretch for a good 15 minutes or so after class. I also try to get some protein in my system right away. Besides that, I try to get some solid sleep. The earlier the better. Also TS, you might want to lighten your load before going to bed. I know it's important to get some nutrition in after your workout, but sleeping on a full stomach prevents you from getting as deep a sleep as possible.

Thanks for the continuing good input. This forum rocks. So to recap:
- Stick with Gatorade right after workout; switch to water later
- Lighten up on the ibuprofin, only nights when really sore
- Add fish oils
- Eat light before bed...bigger lunches, smaller dinners
- Stretch right after workout
- Try contrast showers

For the folks that suggested NO boost, thanks but I tried the protein + NO combo stuff for a while before I started with the BJJ - it worked but gave me a headache, I felt hung over every time I took it so I quit and went back to basic whey protein.

Strange thing: I started this thread because the sides of my ribs are pretty sore and weren't getting better in a hurry. I don't think they're broken or anything because it doesn't hurt when I breathe, and it's the same on both sides. But they're pretty tender and if I got caught in a tight side control with someone up on my ribs, it's unpleasant (more unpleasant than usual, I mean :D) So I took it easy Saturday, skipped open mat time, and they started feeling much better by Sunday so I did some light stretching...and now they hurt again. WTF?

Strange thing: I started this thread because the sides of my ribs are pretty sore and weren't getting better in a hurry. I don't think they're broken or anything because it doesn't hurt when I breathe, and it's the same on both sides. But they're pretty tender and if I got caught in a tight side control with someone up on my ribs, it's unpleasant (more unpleasant than usual, I mean :D) So I took it easy Saturday, skipped open mat time, and they started feeling much better by Sunday so I did some light stretching...and now they hurt again. WTF?

I had that when I first started and still do when I take longer time off. It is basically an inflammation of the tissue under the ribs. Somthing like this: http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_pain/article.htm

Stretching and Massage helps.

For me, it always hurts when I do a standing side stretch (arm over head, leaning to the side) and then release. Hurts like hell.

I had that when I first started and still do when I take longer time off. It is basically an inflammation of the tissue under the ribs. Somthing like this: http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_pain/article.htm

Stretching and Massage helps.

For me, it always hurts when I do a standing side stretch (arm over head, leaning to the side) and then release. Hurts like hell.

Yep, that is it. Mine's not quite as bad as yours, though - stretching doesn't hurt, only if something is pressing up against it.

So you just worked through that and it went away eventually? That would be great. I hate skipping training, but OTOH I didn't want to wind up like Mikey T. where he thought his arm was just sore and was working through it...and then it snapped in half.

Ribs take a long time to heal.. when i first started they got hurt from all the times people got knee on belly, on me. They were sore for a good two months.... eventually I had less people pulling knee on belly on me as I improved.. and i guess my body slowly healed and got used to it as well..

But overall... ribs take a while to heal from my exp...

Ribs take a long time to heal.. when i first started they got hurt from all the times people got knee on belly, on me. They were sore for a good two months.... eventually I had less people pulling knee on belly on me as I improved.. and i guess my body slowly healed and got used to it as well..

But overall... ribs take a while to heal from my exp...

I'm OK with that so long as I can keep rolling in the meantime.

Yep, that is it. Mine's not quite as bad as yours, though - stretching doesn't hurt, only if something is pressing up against it.

So you just worked through that and it went away eventually? That would be great. I hate skipping training, but OTOH I didn't want to wind up like Mikey T. where he thought his arm was just sore and was working through it...and then it snapped in half.

Well, yeah kinda worked through it with stretching. Well in your case the pain should be under or between the ribs, not the ribs themselves. So no problem with stress fracture there.

I also think I will get into that whole foamroll thing, which is basically a self-massage deal. Have been meaning to do that for ages.

Called self myofascial release:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWPl1uhuSB0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWPl1uhuSB0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

@maystor, did you train with your bad 'rib'?

I am in a similar situation, i skipped last week training (just starting the game). But now i like to train again but the rib feeling is still there. What is wisdom??

@maystor, did you train with your bad 'rib'?

I am in a similar situation, i skipped last week training (just starting the game). But now i like to train again but the rib feeling is still there. What is wisdom??

well, let me put it this way... I KNEW that nothing was broken, just probably bruised and irritated/inflamed... it only hurt slightly when I would sneeze for example, and hurt a lot only if someone really applied pressure to that side... I did take a few days off then went back to train and over the next two months the pain SLOWLY went away... I should also mention i rolled lightly for a few weeks, working mostly on positions and "flow" (as best as I could "flow" at the time" :icon_chee)

If it hurts badly with a sharp pain when you deeply inhale or sneeze then I would def give the BJJ a break for a few weeks to let your ribs heal.. as you may have a fracture or tear and that needs to heal...

Thanks for the continuing good input. This forum rocks. So to recap:
- Stick with Gatorade right after workout; switch to water later
- Lighten up on the ibuprofin, only nights when really sore
- Add fish oils
- Eat light before bed...bigger lunches, smaller dinners
- Stretch right after workout
- Try contrast showers

This is more or less what I do. Except that after taking a hot shower, I will use one of those frozen gel packs if any particular body part is sore.

I've got 2 questions:

for the people that drink protein shakes right after a workout: how can you stand it? isn't your stomach/body worked up for a while after you workout? I can't eat for up to a couple of hours after class

for the people that do the alternating hot/cold showers:
how hot and how cold do you do it? i've tried it before and almost went into shock when I set the water to ice cold(i seriously got woozy and got tunnelvision)

I'm really open to trying things to help my recovery(i'm 34), but these 2 things haven't worked for me so far..

I've got 2 questions:

for the people that drink protein shakes right after a workout: how can you stand it? isn't your stomach/body worked up for a while after you workout? I can't eat for up to a couple of hours after class

for the people that do the alternating hot/cold showers:
how hot and how cold do you do it? i've tried it before and almost went into shock when I set the water to ice cold(i seriously got woozy and got tunnelvision)

I'm really open to trying things to help my recovery(i'm 34), but these 2 things haven't worked for me so far..

For the shakes, it's never been a problem for me. Just mix a scoop with a cup or so of water, shake it good, and it's fine. I have a great-tasting choco-peanut butter flavour though, which helps.

I don't do hot/cold much, but when I tried it, it was easiest to ease in to the cold. No need to go ice cold right away. Maybe try "cool" and gradually make it colder.

Back