1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

How do you lift weights and train MMA at the same time?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Splatterbeast, Jul 28, 2010.

1. So far this has been my routine:

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - BJJ
    Wednesday - Back
    Thursday - BJJ then biceps/triceps at the gym
    Friday - Shoulders, traps
    Saturday - BJJ, legs at the gym

A couple of years ago I had an issue with my shoulder/pec area being overworked/strained/impinged. I don't have any problems with that anymore. I'm trying to avoid "overworking" but I don't want to give up weight training and I don't want to give up BJJ.

I switch up the number of sets and reps that I do. One week I do 5 reps of 15, another week of super sets, another week of pyramiding, etc. My chest still feels a bit sore today from Monday and doing BJJ last night.

I'm trying to keep/build muscle mass as well as train BJJ. What routines have worked for you guys in terms of avoidance of overtraining and building mass?

Thanks in advance.

2. salta

salta White Belt

you have mistaken this site for a bodybuilding one

3. I'm a noob, just started doing BJJ. What do BJJ guys' workout schedules look like? That's why I came on here to get a better understanding of how MMA people work out.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

5. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Its hard to lifte weights and train MMA at the SAME TIME. I guess you could like do a squat and then kick a bag when you stand up. Doesnt seem the most practical way to train tho. I would keep the 2 separate.

6. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

The same way porcupines mate. Very carefully.

Serious answer: I'd say do Starting Strength or one of the FAQ routines. Focus on compound movements at high intensity with low reps and low to moderate sets. I'd limit assistance work in order to eliminate (potentially) needless extra work that will inhibit recovery for BJJ practice. I would probably alternate strength training and BJJ days. If forced to do both on the same day, I'd strength train first but it shouldn't matter too much if you rest long enough between sessions (few hours) on the same day.

Others can probably chime in with helpful stuff.

7. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

I find it hard to stay as close to 100% needed to really workout and maintain strength sometimes. the more i train the more minor injuries I get..

8. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

It's really hard to carry around a bar with weights on it while in the ring. I don't know anyone that could weight train and do MMA at the same time.

9. darkcitydeadman

darkcitydeadman Purple Belt

10. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

Close enough.

[​IMG]

11. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

You can roll with a weighted vest on brah.

12. Wolfrez

Wolfrez White Belt

BJJ is a dynamic sport which requires every muscle in the body to work in unison. It also requires the three levels of energy sources and their subs (oxygen consumption and recovery, ATP, Glycolytic etc etc).

Working one part of the body each day is not going to transfer very well to BJJ.

Most pro athletes do what are called micro cycles, meso and macro cycles. Read up on those terms.

What this means is, in the off season, we work on strength, in mid season you work on power, endurance and in the playoffs there is a tendency to work on skills instead of gains, albiet throughout the year it is imperative to 'maintain' what you have gained. (once a week)

I know tournaments in BJJ are year round but it is a good idea to start a cycle for the long term gains and maintenance.

What you told us with your cycle, it looks like you are trying to gain strength and mass with five reps which is great. You are on the right track. However if you want gains in other areas such as endurance, power and functional strength try doing multijoint exercises, for example, squats instead of leg extension or medicine ball pushups instead of machine chest press.

That is good you are involved in strength training. It is one of the most overlooked aspects of martial arts but without functional strength most 'strength' players are not very good overall.

13. DarkBlack454**

DarkBlack454** Banned Banned

They sell weights for everything. Head weights, ankle weights, thigh weights, wrist weights, weighted vests...I power lift while being weighted down and throwing kicks/punches. I might roll while being weighted down with dumbells in my hands. There are plenty of ways to do both at the same time.

I'll deadlift or squat right next to a bag, and while I'm supporting the weight, I'll throw low kicks while deadlifting and punches/high kicks while squatting. I'm also completely weighted down with weights strapped to me.

14. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

This is a good post but I disagree with some of the ways you've laid out periodization. I don't think you've be working on power and endurance during the season. It's possible but you're more likely to stop most taxing weight sessions during the pre-season and once the season begins focus mostly on technique and skills and maintenance lifting. But it depends on the length of the season, the frequency of tournaments, and the length of the micro and mesocycle and when you want to peak.

15. darkcitydeadman

darkcitydeadman Purple Belt

16. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

He doesn't need a cycle now, he needs a simple linear progression until linear progression doesn't work anymore. Once linear progression stops working, there are a couple of other reasonable intermediate approaches to lifting that aren't cyclic in nature that would probably make sense to exhaust before trying to cycle for peak performance.

The reason that elite athletes work in various micro/macro cycles is that they are operating at very close to top performance levels already, and those cycles are the only ways that they can make gains.

17. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

try to lift heavy only twice a week. If you lift heavy 3-4 times weekly while doing MMA, you will fall into overtraining. I lifted heavy weights 4 times a week and did a speed day once a week. So i was training 5 days a week with one speed day and 4 heavy days. I would do something like this...

MONDAY- chest
    TUESDAY- Squats
    WEDNESDAY- OFF
    THURSDAY- Speed day
    FRIDAY- shoulders
    SATURDAY- back
    SUNDAY- OFF

I did this for about 10 weeks and my benches increased 100 pounds. MY deadlift and squat went up around 80 pounds. And all of a sudden, i stalled hard. I went in one week for bench on monday and my regular 6 rep max went down like 20 pounds. It felt so heavyyy.

So what i suggest is something like this.

Monday- LIFT HEAVY - Squat, deadlift, bench
    Tuesday- BJJ
    Wednesday- Speed day - Exlposive lifts - - - kettlebell swings, speed bench, speed deadlift, powercleans, tire flips, farmers walks, sprints.
    Thursday- BJJ
    Friday- LIFT HEAVY - Squat, deadlift, bench
    Saturday- BJJ
    Sunday- OFF

But if your main goal is to become better in BJJ, just do BJJ. I mean look at BJ penn. He lifts weights but i bet he cant even bench 200 pounds. He prob cant squat 200 pounds or let alone deadlift 250. But he kicks everyones ass on technique/flexibility/mobolity/explosiveness.

But look at starting strength also. I did that earlier and i put on so much muscle. but i was also a newb. LOL. good luck. :icon_twis

18. MuayThai2112

MuayThai2112 White Belt

doesn't sound like you train MMA at all. Just BJJ

19. For right now, but I'm going to start throwing in *ahem* Muay Thai as well, which according to your moniker, I'm sure you're a fan of as well.

And next time instead of just pointing out the obvious, try interjecting some helpful comments.

Kthx.

20. acesup123

acesup123 White Belt

just take some steroids with a pinch of growth hormone. That way you can lift weights and give bjs all you want all day and every day.