How do you keep yourself occupied while injured?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BSRufio, Sep 26, 2010.

1. BSRufio White Belt

Long story short, I hurt my knee. I haven't been able to train in days and won't be able to train for at least another week. I'm frustrated and getting stir crazy. What can I do to keep myself busy? Should I be watching matches (suggestions?) and/or instructionals? Help me out guys!

2. Wandgun Orange Belt

Practice on brother, sister, dog, or cat.

3. ItsArun Green Belt

Go to class and get a friendly and cooperative partner to drill grip fighting, cross-chokes, americanas, gullotines, etc (things that you can do that won't put pressure on your knee). There is so much nitty-gritty stuff you can do, so many small details that you can work on, it's crazy.

p.s. I just injured my knee as well (MCL) but I don't plan on missing classes much. You just have to make it work. Obviously I wont be doing anything intensive.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  4. Crazy Legs Orange Belt

If there is an odd number get into a group of three and work what you can and don't work what you can't... sit out of any drills/warmup/live rolling that aggravate your knee. I fully dislocated my shoulder and was in class drilling the next week....you just have to be smart about your injury, accept your limitations, and most of all be extremely humble.

5. Amiro Orange Belt

i injured myself in a few places and kept going back when i thought it was better, but by the end of every class id be fucked worse than before.

so now ive just taken about a week and a half off, just sitting on my arse not doing shit. even laid off the weights etc too.

its actually driving me nuts, sometimes im just sitting there and i get an adrenaline rush because im thinking about bjj.

and at the same time im shitting myself because im getting worse, while everyone else is getting better. and i have my first competition coming up in 40 days. i hope when i go back i wont be at square 1 again lol

6. Resendiz Just glad to be able to train again.

chess, lots and lots of chess...

7. iheartthemount Blue Belt

8. Vector_X Brown Belt

I go fucking crazy. That's all I got, I do not handle small nagging injuries very well. I have a small fracture in my C4 vertebrate that is driving me nuts because I can still do class kind of... Now I had major abdominal surgery after getting stabbed that put me out for 4 months and since I could hardly walk/move much less grapple that didn't bother me much.

9. Kyle 18 White Belt

If i'm injured then i will normally try to do some sort of cardio (depending on the injury), watch technique videos or look at technique books. Just make sure you don't go back in too early and get injured again and miss even more time.

10. Belatucadros Brown Belt

what, no details on the stabbing?

;\

11. DeadAim713 Blue Belt

I don't now how you people can hurt your knees then actually go train. I hurt mine recently (the docs have no idea what I did, but there's a lot of inflamation under my kneecap) and I can't kneel on it or even lock up guard cause every time I do it pops out of place. It's been 2 months since I've trained and I'm still waiting for my docs to call about my physical therapy. I'm going fucking insane. Yes I'm ranting, Yes this is a useless post. Yes, go ahead and disregard everything I've said because it's out of anger.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I wanna TRAIN!

12. redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah I want to hear this stabbing story now.

13. Vector_X Brown Belt

I walked away he didn't. It's not something one really discusses but Kali served me well. Just physically it has been life changing. In the hospital I went from 167 down to 124lbs in the span of 4 days. Spent over 6 weeks in intensive care and after the surgery it then became infected so now I have a scar that goes from bottom abdomen to right beneath my sternum and its about 2 inches wide.

14. KILL KILL Gold Belt

depending on the injury. workout what i can. lots and lots of visualization

15. 1 Thumb White Belt

I've been eating a lot of Reeses, and a lot of Double Stuf Oreos. Helps me forget about training. :mad:

16. 879lexus Blue Belt

lots of heat and cold packs on the knee...Read Saulo's book.....call your girl over for some bjj... eat food....watch tv...create a business plan for your business idea...call up your mom and she'll give you mental support.....call your big brother in jail and tell him to behave himself and ask him back for the money he borrowed 2 year ago...