How do you have opponents back for 12 of 15 minutes...and lose???

I hate that style of fighting, and I would love that style of judging.... but if the UFC/athletic commissions made their scoring criteria clear, it would be fair. to suddenly screw over LNP out of the blue is bullshit.

and despite the superficial damage (that's all that matters to guys like BJ, who still wants to believe that he beat gsp), Zapata lost that fight. sure, stephens didn't try to damage him as much, but he still landed a lot of shots and from a dominant position.

you have to go out of your way to even try to make an argument for a Zapata victory, and even then, it's paper-thin.

Superficial damage? He sent GSP to the hospital

I believe a takedown should be points for the guy on top, but if all you do is hold on tight, you're not going to score anymore points. The other guy passes you on the scorecards when he attempts and succeeds at more offense, even from his disadvantageous position. All Stephens did from his "dominant" position was attempt a few half-assed chokes. Neither guy impressed at all, though. Classic TUF.

dunham/griffin, maia/fitch, couture/sylvia were all fights with very little activity from the back.

Are you honestly suggesting that dunham, maia, and couture are poor grapplers too?

The answer is easy: It's hard to submit someone who knows what he's doing.

1st of all, none of those fights had even half of the back control this had. Second the opponents were way better caliber and Zapata is primarily a striker.

I think the real question here is "how do you have your opponents back for 12 out of 15 minutes and not get anywhere near a finish?"

Don't leave it up to the judges. Especially if you're a soaking wet fucking blanket!

Back