How do you have opponents back for 12 of 15 minutes...and lose???

BrainBar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What a joke the UFC is becoming. TUF just had new episode. Grappler just absolutely dominated his opponent. Had is back for probably 12 of 15 minutes, and truly shouldn't have even had a 3rd round. He was never in any serious danger, AT ALL, during the fight. Only damage was from an illegal elbow.

How do you dominate an opponent for 15 minutes, have his back for 12 and attempting chokes during the whole thing....and never once find yourself in a situation where you could possibly lose the fight in progress........

And lose?

Guess it was Dana Whites explanation of "good for the judges" for screwing the wrestler, and the classic after the fight "I hate guys that just wrestle".

UFC is now glorified K-1. What a joke.

I like this new style of judging. It prevents dry humpers and blankets from winning fights.

All Stephens did was lay on his back. While the other guy was landing punches.

Elbows all day.

simply bullshit. first of all, the fight is broken down into rounds and not scored as a whole, which fuckin blows. but take the first two rounds out of the equation and look at round 3. I have no idea how that was possibly scored for Zapata. the judges were pissed about lnp (I don't like it either, but I accept it); that's the only possible reason.

and THEN, it's still 10-8, 9-9, 9-9 which is still THE BIGGEST BULLSHIT DECISION I've ever seen in mma. and it's still a majority draw; if there has to be some sort of tie, it should go to the guy who received the one nod.

What a joke the UFC is becoming. TUF just had new episode. Grappler just absolutely dominated his opponent. Had is back for probably 12 of 15 minutes, and truly shouldn't have even had a 3rd round. He was never in any serious danger, AT ALL, during the fight. Only damage was from an illegal elbow.

How do you dominate an opponent for 15 minutes, have his back for 12 and attempting chokes during the whole thing....and never once find yourself in a situation where you could possibly lose the fight in progress........

And lose?

Guess it was Dana Whites explanation of "good for the judges" for screwing the wrestler, and the classic after the fight "I hate guys that just wrestle".

Yeah hadn't watched TUF since the first episode of this season and then I get to watch this lame ass fight with the loser some how winning. What a joke this show has become.

I like this new style of judging. It prevents dry humpers and blankets from winning fights.

Elbows all day.

I hate that style of fighting, and I would love that style of judging.... but if the UFC/athletic commissions made their scoring criteria clear, it would be fair. to suddenly screw over LNP out of the blue is bullshit.

and despite the superficial damage (that's all that matters to guys like BJ, who still wants to believe that he beat gsp), Zapata lost that fight. sure, stephens didn't try to damage him as much, but he still landed a lot of shots and from a dominant position.

you have to go out of your way to even try to make an argument for a Zapata victory, and even then, it's paper-thin.

Glory should do a TUF style show on Spike TV. I guarantee the fights would be a million times more entertaining then TUF.

Elbows all day.

Um....no. Its not the top guys job to LET YOU UP. Its your damn job to GET UP. If grappling is so ineffective, and striking is so much better, then it should be easy for the striker to just get up, right? Afterall, its a FIGHT, not a beauty contest (Right? That's how UFC markets itself).

"Landing punches" that were about as hard as a 10 year old. Throwing your hand behind your head and hitting the other guys scalp, with almost no impact, is the striking version of "just laying there". You aren't doing any damage.

UFC markets itself as the truest FIGHT, and NOT a beauty pageant.

Is "Lay and Pray" pretty? No. But, its not the grapplers job to let his opponent up. If the opponent doesn't like "Lay and Pray", then GET THE FUCK UP.

If he can't....well, the better fighter wins.

But, that aint pretty, and Dana wants a beauty pageant now.

Hell, lets just bring in The Rock, John Cena and Triple H and turn it into damn pro wrestling. We can script some flying knees, some spinning backfists, some triangle slams.....and then just add one more round for them to actually fight.

You are far too bitter about the whole thing lesbehonest.

No, Im not. Im in shock a bit......the show has been over for 28 minutes, so I'm commenting.

If I'm still talking about it in a week, that would be bitter.

But its disappointing how far UFC is going to get grappling out of it's sport.

And lose?

because it is what Dana wanted. I thought he was being a smartass when he said good job ref good job judges when they announced there was going to be a 3rd round. I really do think he is going mentally ill if he thinks Ian lost those first two rounds.

Lol...the episode is playing now in brazilian tv and i was like "wtf 3rd round!?!?!?"....came to sherdog because i knew a thread would have been made about it...i dont agree with the judges in this one but its nice to see a change in judging criterea...

I honestly didn't know there were people that actually still watched TUF.
:redface:

I honestly didn't know there were people that actually still watched TUF.
:redface:
only watched it because of this "controversial" outcome from the previews it look like some done a stone cold stunner so I was like whatever might be a double ko.

No, I don't think he should have stood it up. He had the guys back. And anyone watching saw that he was constantly trying to work to the rear naked choke. To his credit, the Red fighter was defending that RNC fairly well.

But if you have a dominant position, AND you are constantly working towards a submission, you should not be stood up. He was constantly moving. But, if anyone who knows grappling will tell you, moving while grappling can sometimes be slow and tedious. Its often like a giant snake smothering its prey- move one inch at a time, readjust, keep moving slowly.

But, that wont sell tickets to drunk rednecks who wanna see a bar-style slugfest.

It was funny when Dana walked out and said that he refused to watch Mazzagatti fu** up another fight.

Back