How do you handle crappy supervisors?

I'm the top dog in our company, hands down, not blowing my self off, just facts (there are only 5 of us, it's not a tough claim)

Today I have been drawing Jon Jones faces in MS Paint, I am basically a paid MS Paint artist at this point

I also do a lot of 80's movie posters recreated in MS Paint, just because why not?
jgfzdJj.png

Metrics and observing others in the same position. I'm middle of the pack. Not too good and not too bad. Just the way I like it. Edit: low top of pack, if left to do things my way, which was the case until this newb.
While I realize not everyone is destine for greatness, why not try to do your best?
I was born in to a lower middle income family that never understood success in life was a possibility. Do good enough to get by was the mantra.
Then I joined the US Navy where failure was not an option and doing your best was a must. So from that point on, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work.
I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination. My degree is from a 4 year correspondence school. But I try. And through trying I've worked my way up through some of the world's greatest learning and research institutes. I now manage a group of PHDs from top schools amongst other employees. Just because I try...
I suggest to go out there and be your best. If for no one else but you.

While I realize not everyone is destine for greatness, why not try to do your best?
I was born in to a lower middle income family that never understood success in life was a possibility. Do good enough to get by was the mantra.
Then I joined the US Navy where failure was not an option and doing your best was a must. So from that point on, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work.
I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination. My degree is from a 4 year correspondence school. But I try. And through trying I've worked my way up through some of the world's greatest learning and research institutes. I now manage a group of PHDs from top schools amongst other employees. Just because I try...
I suggest to go out there and be your best. If for no one else but you.

Congrats on your success and motivation. I agree with you, if the position was stimulating or doing above and beyond could have an impact in my advancement. For the latter, I've learned that in unizioned enviroment upward mobility has little to do with the performance in your current position. Everything is very sectioned and seperate.

Edit: I derive no sense of self worth from doing my current job better or worst. I reserve those feelings for things closer to my heart or that I'm passionate about.

Last edited:
Most people think their supervisor is bad when he/she is really not. People just have unrealistic expectations.

In fact often times the most popular supervisors are actually the worst ones, because they are spineless and don't want people to hate them, so they overlook bad behavior that is hurting everyone. For example, everyone loved this one supervisor because she was nice and never got on anyone's case. But the employees took advantage of this and started slacking off. The dept didn't hit their goals, and she got fired and half the team got laid off and the other half had to pick up their slack under a new supervisor who was very harsh.

So her being nice and popular screwed everyone.

The best boss I ever had would hold everyone accountable. People complained about being pushed hard, but we always hit our goals so our Dept was safe while others were being laid off like crazy. No one gives this dude credit but he's kept out jobs safe for years through the hard times.

For most jobs there exists some sort of 3-30 page pamphlet that has info to solve 99% of the problems at their job. Even the ones that require esoteric knowledge have shortcuts that would seem very easy to anyone given the 10th time they had to do it. Usually if your supervisor doesnt like you its because you secretly dont like them. Maybe you think theyre dumber than you or uglier, or whatever. Maybe youre jealous of his hot wife or the hotwheels firebird on his desk, or his nice shiny shoes and lovely cardigan.

Congrats on your success and motivation. I agree with you, if the position was stimulating or doing above and beyond could have an impact in my advancement. For the latter, I've learned that in unizioned enviroment upward mobility has little to do with the performance in your current position. Everything is very sectioned and seperate.

Edit: I derive no sense of self worth from doing my current job better or worst. I reserve those feelings for things closer to my heart or that I'm passionate about.
My man, are you me? I used to go above and beyond too, but in a union government job it gets you nothing but more work. I reserve my hard work now for my own rental business. Just trying to ride out my last decade to collect a pension.

You remove all the best options and then ask us what to do? You know what to do because you removed all those options.

Most people think their supervisor is bad when he/she is really not. People just have unrealistic expectations.

In fact often times the most popular supervisors are actually the worst ones, because they are spineless and don't want people to hate them, so they overlook bad behavior that is hurting everyone. For example, everyone loved this one supervisor because she was nice and never got on anyone's case. But the employees took advantage of this and started slacking off. The dept didn't hit their goals, and she got fired and half the team got laid off and the other half had to pick up their slack under a new supervisor who was very harsh.

So her being nice and popular screwed everyone. You have to take it from both sides.

The best boss I ever had would hold everyone accountable. People complained about being pushed hard, but we always hit our goals so our Dept was safe while others were being laid off like crazy. No one gives this dude credit but he's kept out jobs safe for years through the hard times.

Yep. Middle management is hell for a reason.

I create 'team leads' from someone on the team (essentially a supervisor). I always find it works best if you can promote from the team posiiton that will be managed. 1. The supervisor/lead knows what its like on the other side, and 2. it gives the team more hope for upward progression.

Few others things i do.

1. Clearly defined roles and accountability
2. Enough autonomy so that people make themselves accountable
3. Team Lead acts more of a barometer for performance. They handle KPI tracking, Weekly Meetings, Daily Scrums, Long/Short term goal implementation, Focus point training/revision, HR, and individual/team performance.

I then give the team leads the same autonomy, accountability, and clearly defined role and report to myself (or whoever i have managing/running that particular business).

I used to work in a government union job. I learned very quickly that effort & performance doesn't mean much if anything, and after a couple months I just didn't give a shit about my job. As long as I got my work done and didn't fuck up it was more than good enough. The key is to just not care, it's only a job. Just nod and say "ok, will do" and get on with your day, your supervisor is just another interchangeable cog in the machine.

Some folks can deal with that better than others, I got out as soon as they finished paying for all the training & certification courses I signed up for to pass my time at work.

Just do your job honestly. I have a shit micromanaging boss, but whatever, I go home knowing that I can honestly put my name on my work, and I have nothing to worry about after that.

Now if I was watching movies, taking long lunches, not doing my job, doing the least amount possible, then yes I'd be worried.

Honest days work, for an honest days pay and you'll be fine.

Besides changing jobs, deparments, or starting your own business?
Depends what you mean by crappy.

50% of the time these threads are shitty employees not liking their supervisor because he actually makes them work hard or gtfo

We all complained to our director and had a lot of turnover in our group and he finally got demoted.

Figure out a way to give your boss aids. My boss is a former crack head and is a incompotent sociopathic jackass,so I feel I can relate

Last edited:
Publicly point out how incompetent and lazy they are.

You need to give us more information

@Red Beard and the #workMOBtactics crew will help you.. but you need to be specific.

Remember, you are talking with a guy who say the first half season of You yesterday at the office and is still regarded as a good employee.

It's all about balance but I currently have a shitty supervisor. The key is to be better than them at their job and you need to save their ass one time...that's it. If they make a mistake catch it and fix it but don't out them. They will realize your loyalty and not forget it. I've done that with most supervisors and they always appreciate my loyalty. I barely do anything during my workday and I just got a $600 award yesterday. Smoke and mirrors homie.

I have read 75 pages of a book today and I'm not even halfway through my 8.5 hours. I have many tips on how not to work while getting paid. Hell I once worked a 13 hour shift and finished a whole 200+ page thriller. Got time and a half and everything.

Welcome to the #workMOBtactics crew. Your velvet sweat suit is in the mail.

Besides changing jobs, deparments, or starting your own business?

I hate how the first responses are always trolls.

To be honest, you gotta be indisposable. Be that staff member they'd HATE to lose because you're better than your colleagues, because you'll work all of the hard shifts, etc.

If that is the case, you gotta know your worth. Every job will be annoying (that's why they pay you to be there) most jobs will have annoying supervisors but you gotta know your worth, know what you can and cannot tolerate.

Unfortunately, in many cases the bosses are nasty because they can be. If you're working a minimum wage job, they know they can replace you with an endless line of unskilled workers. If you're not someone easy to replace they won't want to lose you.

As a supervisor, I’d say that shitty supervisors are probably 50/50 with shitty employees. Sure, there’s lots of people who if they have an ounce of power, they’ll think they’re God. But a lot of times the people working under them dislike them out of jealousy, disrespect for authority, or some other reason.

Go around and above him/her every single chance you get but make those instances convenient. I.E your supervisor is at lunch or out for the day. Always show appreciation for anything that anyone does for you, except that particular supervisor. This will make them feel alienated and possibly inadequate.

Back