How do you guys think prime Chuck vs prime Wand would have gone in Pride in 03?

I like Wand more and didnt appreciate chuck until recently

That being said I always thought chuck would win because he throws allota punches straight down the pipe while all of Wands punches are looping.

However if Wand drops chuck with pride rules I could see him running via soccer kicks

But first, OP... how badly do you want Wanderlei to win this theoretical fight... in Pride... in 2003?

Chuck would have always been a bad matchup for wanderlei.

Chuck and rampage have completely different styles

Chuck was a counter puncher. Rampage is not.

Stylistically Chuck would have blasted wandy coming in with his blitz offense

Rampage was way too aggressive with wandy in their first two fights and he paid for it.

Remember when Chuck dropped vitor at UFC 37.5 when he pushed forward trying to blitz?

So what you are saying is that MMA Math doesn't work and styles makes fights now. So you are in agreement with Agent Mulder i'd assume

In pride rules i think wandy takes him out. He was beast back then and didnt have a suspect chin.

I think Wandi would have done better if he used more BJJ. Too close to call

both of them get rekd easily by jones, dc, gus, rumble, and even bader

Very evenly matched, since Chuck already beat Wand I would lean towards Chuck but at the same time, maybe prime Wand didn't want to fuck Chuck just rape choke him.

Rampage was way too aggressive with wandy in their first two fights and he paid for it.

Remember when Chuck dropped vitor at UFC 37.5 when he pushed forward trying to blitz?
Of all the fighters to try to do MMAth with, you can't pick a worse one then Vitor. Vitor was always a hot and cold fighter. He would light the MMA world on fire one fight and come in looking nervous and lethargic the next fight. The Wand/Belfort fight has no information for us. It was Vitor being Vitor and he was on fire that night. He could have potentially put anyone down.

Honestly I don't even think either fighter was much out of their prime in 2007. That fight was a really competitive fight. The biggest difference I think is that in 2003 Wanderlei was more at his peak where as Chuck was still improving. I don't think 2003 Chuck was as skilled as the Chuck that fought Wand in 2007, where as I do think Wand was roughly the same fighter. I would go with Wand in 2003. Especially if we are talking about fighting in Pride where he was more experienced with managing the ring and cornering fighters. Something that is more difficult to do in a cage and definitely favors an aggressive fighter more than a counterpuncher.

Chuck. When he had a chin he was a bad man. I think he would’ve won by KO.

We all know what happened when they eventually fought. But what if they'd met in 2003? What do you think? I gotta say, this was always my most anticipated matchup, even more than Fedor/Cro Cop.

Still to this day I think these are the 2 most evenly matched badasses of all time, whose primes were at the same time. They were both destroyers and they were both the faces of their rival promotions.

I personally think Chuck still was a bad matchup for Wand and he would've just out toughed him and busted him up eventually. But who knows? What do you think?

I feel Wand lost more tactically when he exited his prime with the Crocop defeat though, both in confidence and in tactics becoming more of a crazy brawler. In his prime he was actually quite a calm fighter, his matches would often be quite slow until he hurt someone or sensed weakness and went into kill crazy mode.

The latter isn't good news for Chuck IMHO, guys like Pele, Reem and Mezger had him in trouble but didn't have the game to follow up, even Rampage didn't really had Wands ability to hurt down opponents and we saw Silva crack his normally uncrackable chin twice.

As @Arm Barbarian would say: more juice than

Tomah_421.ashx

We all know what happened when they eventually fought. But what if they'd met in 2003? What do you think? I gotta say, this was always my most anticipated matchup, even more than Fedor/Cro Cop.

Still to this day I think these are the 2 most evenly matched badasses of all time, whose primes were at the same time. They were both destroyers and they were both the faces of their rival promotions.

I personally think Chuck still was a bad matchup for Wand and he would've just out toughed him and busted him up eventually. But who knows? What do you think?

I agree with your assessment. Chucks chin was insane back then (Pele headkick) so he would have taken Wands best and eventually caught him.

Wish the fight had happened back then but it was still awesome when it did.

I like Wand more and didnt appreciate chuck until recently

That being said I always thought chuck would win because he throws allota punches straight down the pipe while all of Wands punches are looping.

However if Wand drops chuck with pride rules I could see him running via soccer kicks
Wand threw tons of straight right hands. You're thinking of UFC Wand and yeah UFC Wand had deteriorated in every way.

Of all the fighters to try to do MMAth with, you can't pick a worse one then Vitor. Vitor was always a hot and cold fighter. He would light the MMA world on fire one fight and come in looking nervous and lethargic the next fight. The Wand/Belfort fight has no information for us. It was Vitor being Vitor and he was on fire that night. He could have potentially put anyone down.

Honestly I don't even think either fighter was much out of their prime in 2007. That fight was a really competitive fight. The biggest difference I think is that in 2003 Wanderlei was more at his peak where as Chuck was still improving. I don't think 2003 Chuck was as skilled as the Chuck that fought Wand in 2007, where as I do think Wand was roughly the same fighter. I would go with Wand in 2003. Especially if we are talking about fighting in Pride where he was more experienced with managing the ring and cornering fighters. Something that is more difficult to do in a cage and definitely favors an aggressive fighter more than a counterpuncher.
The biggest difference is that PRIDE Wand was bigger than Cro Cop and ripped. UFC Wand was a small chubby 185er that could have made 170

You do know Rampage knocked out both Chuck n Silva via counter punch right?

Aggressive charge forward '03 wand gets slept.

I think Wand had a better shot in a ring than a cage. In the end Chuck going full wrestler was what decided their "pas their prime legend" fight in 2007. Wand was starting to get fired up and Chuck just took him down.

Wand threw tons of straight right hands. You're thinking of UFC Wand and yeah UFC Wand had deteriorated in every way.

Pretty much, prime Wand had a very nice cross indeed plus of course a pretty strong kicking game.

I remember Wand trying to counter punch in this fight a lot instead of going bezerker mode which he always did that in pride.

2003 was when Chuck lost to Randy an Quentin while Wanderlei was on his insane run, but I think Chuck's straight right woulda landed an put Wand out if Wand charged in at him.

Back