how do you guys structure your routine working on technique?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
do you work on it until you feel comfortable, or do you stay on it about 4-8 weeks 3-5 days a week like anyother routine to see gains?

edit - such as working right hook or left swing kick? should I work on right hook 3-5 days a week, for 4-8 weeks for about an hour?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
In traditional martial arts, if there was a flaw in your technique, you would have to practice that same technique for extended periods of time. Sometimes as long as a year.

For your example of the right hook, I would first make sure I had the mechanics of the punch down to begin with. (Pivoting your foot and turning your hips with the punch). And then practice that punch by throwing combos on a bag or pads and emphasizing the right hook.

It really doesn't need to be that complicated. I used to have problems with my left roundhouse kick. To make improve it, I would just throw 200 left roundhouses on a bag every night for about 2 weeks. After a while it became muscle memory and a pretty damn powerful kick to boot. Technique only gets better after more and more practice.

I'm assuming you mean for self-training days when you don't a partner to spar or work technique with.

The best answer I saw on this was warm up with 30-50 reps per technique (jab, cross, lead leg kick, etc.) everyday. If you still have time left over after than then work specific things you need to improve. Have a footwork day, then a defense day, then a kick day, then a hands day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back