How do you guys still watch wrestling?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
It can never physically be as good as it was in the late 90s. Too many things happened and it was the perfect mix of pop culture, good talent, real personalities, and a different culture

you’ve already seen the best matches you’ll ever see with guys like Shawn Michaels who could tell a story and make things mean something

you’ll never get shit more death defying than Mankind being thrown off HIAC

It can never be as authentic as it once was due to different times. Wrestlers back then lived a rock and roll lifestyle which came out in their personalities in the ring. That, or they were legitimately doing it to support their family and has actual respect for the business.

Now all wrestlers are teenie bopper crybabies who used to be passionate fans and think they know what other people want to watch without giving any respect to the fundamentals of what pro wrestling was. It’s all just flippy dumb shit with no story and then repeat weekly. Guys like the young bucks or Dean Ambrose would have gotten their shit pushed in by the vets if they pulled the diva antics they do today

So honestly, why do you watch it? Do you think it’ll just improve one day? I can understand the pureso style of Japan, they still respect their own style over there

FYI I don’t watch anymore because it’s unbearable, I’ll every now and then check in to see if any big news happened or vets make an appearance or something. Wrestling was basically my life from 1996 to 2005ish. And now the idea of sitting through a 3 hour RAW or AEW seems borderline inhumane

It can never physically be as good as it was in the late 90s. Too many things happened and it was the perfect mix of pop culture, good talent, real personalities, and a different culture

you’ve already seen the best matches you’ll ever see with guys like Shawn Michaels who could tell a story and make things mean something

It can never be as authentic as it once was due to different times. Wrestlers back then lived a rock and roll lifestyle which came out in their personalities in the ring. That, or they were legitimately doing it to support their family and has actual respect for the business.

Now all wrestlers are teenie bopper crybabies who used to be passionate fans and think they know what other people want to watch without giving any respect to the fundamentals of what pro wrestling was. It’s all just flippy dumb shit with no story and then repeat weekly. Guys like the young bucks or Dean Ambrose would have gotten their shit pushed in by the vets if they pulled the diva antics they do today

So honestly, why do you watch it? Do you think it’ll just improve one day? I can understand the pureso style of Japan, they still respect their own style over there

FYI I don’t watch anymore because it’s unbearable, I’ll every now and then check in to see if any big news happened or vets make an appearance or something. Wrestling was basically my life from 1996 to 2005ish. And now the idea of sitting through a 3 hour RAW or AEW seems borderline inhumane
This whole thread is a 'get off my lawn/ back in my day' thread

We just seen a pop star perform at WrestleMania. We seen Shaq go through a table months ago and you are here talking about the lack of mix between pop culture and wrestling.

You're just like Cornette, Disco, Russo...

0e18c995404a7c29fa9a77f4b44f310aa2f2c7c0.gifv

I just watch old shit mainly but you will still get really good matches on PPV. The NXT takeover night 1 on WM weekend was one of the better shows I have seen in awhile.

I became a fan in the territory days and was fortunate to see the boom period in the mid 80's & late 90's. As Dutch Mantel would say '' You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube''. The late 90's were great and entertaining but it killed Kayfabe. For the last 20 years the top company had no serious competition and the indies went the outlaw mud show & silly route with their product. The big company went with a silly PG product with big budget production. The wrestlers today for the most part grew up in a time when kayfabe was already dead. The product will never be what it once was because the pro wrestling business doesn't exist anymore.

While the original post does sound like an old man "get off my lawn" rant, I don't really disagree with it. I hear a lot of fans saying there's never been a better time to be a pro wrestling fan but I find them to not be very discerning people. Right now it's quantity over quality. There's definitely more pro wrestling now than ever with relatively easy access to all of it but the quality isn't even close to WWF, WCW or ECW of the 90's. At least AEW does have some potential. I love the Dark Side of the Ring docs. Those are fire.

e1T9SwK.gif

If you want to escape from the crap in the real world you watch pro wrestling or other things.

I don't, I prefer to reminisce about the old days.

Also, looking back at the Attitude Era makes my stomach turn. That shit was tacky.

... looking back at the Attitude Era makes my stomach turn. That shit was tacky.
Not judging, you're allowed your opinions, but can you elaborate?

Cause when I look at current day product with all the trinkets, generic swiped characters, try hard gimmicks, piled on storylines that go nowhere, move abundance - tacky is precisely the word I think of. Meanwhile, AE was a spectacle with flowing storylines and farce done right.

Not judging, you're allowed your opinions, but can you elaborate?

Cause when I look at current day product with all the trinkets, generic swiped characters, try hard gimmicks, piled on storylines that go nowhere, move abundance - tacky is precisely the word I think of. Meanwhile, AE was a spectacle with flowing storylines and farce done right.
I haven't gone back and tried to watch everything week-to-week, but what I have of AE recently seemed just like catch phrases, dick jokes, fake tits and the few matches were all running the ropes and non-finishes.

Just because they don't do all the sexual stuff now doesn't make it any less tacky.

Back