How do you guys see Dustin being able to beat Khabib?

scytheavatar

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Yes Khabib looks unbeatable and is certain to be heavy favorites over Dustin, but most have already counted out Dustin against Holloway and look at what that happened. Dustin has killer BJJ and wouldn't be defenseless against Khabib on the ground, so if he is able to dominate Khabib in the stand up do you guys think he has the chance?

I dont see because he cant beat Khabib

I think Khabib is obviously the favorite, but Dustin has excellent technique, cardio, toughness, and solid power...he's very well rounded as well. Certainly has a chance. Khabib by decision would be my pick but it's one of the better match-ups for him IMO

I had Holloway as a heavy favorite in this fight so I was quite surprised how it turned out.

With that said Khabib has been in there with some great strikers with good TD, Barboza and Conor a couple examples, and still he always finds a way to get the fight to the ground and dominate. I have Khabib by a TKO finish in the later rounds.

If he can keep it standing ... he has a chance.

Good wrestling with better striking.

Can he keep it standing though with some distance? Thats the question.

No.

He couldn’t beat Conor and his last win and his best win were both over guys Conor dominanted.

I know MMA math doesn’t work but Khabib is on another level than Porier. I think the only person to beat him (if anyone does) will have to be an elite wrestler with solid striking as well.

Dustin has good striking but he’s chinny and will get wrestled to death

Punchers chance. That's it.

This is pretty much it right here. The only way Khabib will lose is either KO/TKO (Conor/Justin) or getting submitted by someone off of their back (Tony) with some weird Eddie Bravo shit (Tony).

I don’t think Dustin has the power to put Khabib out but I’ve been wrong a million times before.

It's all about whether he can keep it standing. Any fighter who can stuff Khabib's takedowns for the first two rounds can probably beat him. But nobody has been able to do it yet.

The leather he threw against Holloway in the first round would have KO'd almost everybody else in the division. And Khabib can be somewhat hittable if he isn't committed to wheeling back.

Not saying Porier is a lock, but he has a chance of stunning and following up for a tko.

Dustin has shown several times recently that he knows how to deal with the aggressive, overwhelming type of fighters (Holloway, Gaethje, Alvarez). If someone also remembers Bobby Green knockout and the way Dustin made his fast reads on Bobby's tendency to lean back (the thing on which Khabib's entire striking defence is based). Poirier has noticed what is going on very early and made an adjustments doubling up on his offence and finished Green whitin a seconds after. Dustin's hands are top notch and he'd win every exchange with Khabib (but even more importantly, assuming it's a kickboxing type match, he'd get his reads on Khabib and then set him up for combos). Not many people can openly trade with Dustin and his blocks (high guard) and elusiveness in the pocket are on another level. Dustin has no bad habits when it comes to striking other than pacing himself. Khabib would have to press him onto the cage and take him down, otherwise he'd get smoked. Dustin has power to stop Khabib from progressing and he's an overwhelming type of guy himself.

Dustin looked strong against Max, but that's not enough against Khabib. He got tired there in that cage, against Khabib that's a death sentence

He needs to hurt Khabib early and often with strikes.

This is coming from the guy who said Dustin would win a stand up war with Max.

Dustin looked strong against Max, but that's not enough against Khabib. He got tired there in that cage, against Khabib that's a death sentence
He got tired overthrowing himself and not matching his willingness to exchange with his conditioning. It was a high pace match, Khabib has ever been in the war like that. Props to Max for surviving all that blows. We've never seen Khabib get hit that much, but if you get rocked from Poirier, you're most likely to get overwhelmed and finished (better have some Mexican chin or something).

Khabib will take him down and smother him. It will look much like the Conor fight.

He won't beat Khabib, but no one at LW will.

Back