How do you guys cook your meatballs

Put ground meat in a bowl. Put fresh parsley and coriander minced thinly, small diced onions and garlic, olive oil (a good amount), salt, pepper, paprika. I like to add balsamic vinegar, but not all the time.
Make the meatballs.

Than to cook them, if it's something that cooks slow with low fire I put them in there in the beginning and let them cook with it.
If it's sauce for pasta or something, I generally brown them with some olive oil or butter, then I put them in the sauce.
no eggs or milk?

no eggs or milk?

Nope. I never used eggs or milk for meatballs. I don't personally like it. I'm guessing it's so the meatballs keep their form, but I find it works perfectly fine with olive oil. It's just the cooking that has to be done well.

PS : I'm not American so the big meatballs maybe need eggs or milk. But in my cooking culture, meatballs were always made small around me, so no need for that lol

I don't rightly know, I just know the best meatballs I ever had were made by a Jew broad from Brooklyn.

Try placing the meatball in a muffin pan while baking.

photo-5.jpg

why heavy cream over milk?
IMO milk makes the mixture a little too wet plus I think it keeps them a little more moist inside while cooking . Plus I’m a firm believer in full fat dairy makes everything taste better. Cream, butter, sour cream, cheese, etc.

You should put them in the broiler first before adding them to the sauce.

That’s way you can have them dry if you want, especially if you leave a few on the side, then add them to the sauce. Never add raw meat into the sauce.

I can’t offer a comparison. I’ve only ever used eggs. I honestly didn’t know people used milk or cream. I assume egg binds it together better.
Both my grandmas used to make them with cream but would use eggs for meatloaf. Maybe eggs make them denser?

Both my grandmas used to make them with cream but would use eggs for meatloaf. Maybe eggs make them denser?
Eggs dont make it dense, eggs work as a binder. If you're not making giant huge meatballs with a lot of stuff you can probably do without them because breadcrumbs and milk can work as a binder as well

In something as large as meatloaf it's harder to get away without eggs

Fry them in a pan then finish cooking in the sauce.

Put ground meat in a bowl. Put fresh parsley and coriander minced thinly, small diced onions and garlic, olive oil (a good amount), salt, pepper, paprika. I like to add balsamic vinegar, but not all the time.
Make the meatballs.

Than to cook them, if it's something that cooks slow with low fire I put them in there in the beginning and let them cook with it.
If it's sauce for pasta or something, I generally brown them with some olive oil or butter, then I put them in the sauce.
Cilantro/Coriander in meatballs is a huggge "no", as is balsamic.

Teach me sempai

I'm not being snarky, I'm serious
The yolks of the egg will help bind the meat, yes, but you have to remember you are also cooking the egg on a molecular level and its water content is different from meat.

For meatballs, I go parmesan, crushed garlic, diced onion/shallot, tarragon (only a little), thyme, breadcumbs preferably from homemade bread (which is usually the precursor to making meatballs), about 2 eggs per lb, a little cayenne, some softened butter, salt, pepper, a splash of white or champagne vinegar, then I let the meat sit in milk at room temp for about 20 minutes. Fold the milk into the mixture, careful not to beat the hell out of it. Roll medium sized balls, sear in a pan as hot as i can reasonably get it without burning anything, give the balls a quick dark sear-and-toss, then I dump in whatever sauce I made and braise them on medium-low to low heat.

Finish with more fresh parsley and more cheese obv

The perfect meatball has been a very elusive idea

It's my white whale

The most important thing is to helax before starting and everything will fall into place.

Back