How do you guys cook your meatballs

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
The perfect meatball has been a very elusive idea

It's my white whale

I like my meatballs a perfect 98 degrees.
Also, not gay.

thunderlips.png

50/50 mix of ground beef and pork, bread crumbs, heavy cream and Parmesan . Sear in a pan to get color/little crust on both sides then in some sauce and in the oven

you're not supposed to cook meatballs, just have to make sure the beef is fresh

Fry up some pancetta or salami and garlic, dry and put in bowl.
Add 80/20 beef or meatball mix
Add fresh parsley, cheese, eggs, salt. Pepper , bread crumbs.

Roll into big balls
Sear outside and throw into a simmering sauce for an hour

50/50 mix of ground beef and pork, bread crumbs, heavy cream and Parmesan . Sear in a pan to get color/little crust on both sides then in some sauce and in the oven

I have this Sopranos cookbook and its really good. Their meatballs are pretty much this, except its ground veal.

The book has 4 or 5 really good dishes.

why heavy cream over milk?

Fry up some pancetta or salami and garlic, dry and put in bowl.
Add 80/20 beef or meatball mix
Add fresh parsley, cheese, eggs, salt. Pepper , bread crumbs.

Roll into big balls
Sear outside and throw into a simmering sauce for an hour
why eggs over milk or cream?

Roll up the ground beef. Bake it the oven. Those are the balls. Put it in sweet and sour sauce.

Fuck you Julius Caesar

First things first...you need a mix of pork and beef. That gives the fat you need to keep them moist. Second thing you need is quality bread crumbs and eggs. Mix the beef, pork, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl until it looks almost wet. Then shape them into balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Then you let it simmer in your sauce...the sauce is a whole other thread and let it marinate for a few hours.

First things first...you need a mix of pork and beef. That gives the fat you need to keep them moist. Second thing you need is quality bread crumbs and eggs. Mix the beef, pork, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl until it looks almost wet. Then shape them into balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Then you let it simmer in your sauce...the sauce is a whole other thread and let it marinate for a few hours.

Why do you bake them at such a low temperature if you're just going to finish them in the sauce?

In the oven, then finish in sauce or slow cooker.

Do you guys make them mama mia spicy?

Put ground meat in a bowl. Put fresh parsley and coriander minced thinly, small diced onions and garlic, olive oil (a good amount), salt, pepper, paprika. I like to add balsamic vinegar, but not all the time.
Make the meatballs.

Than to cook them, if it's something that cooks slow with low fire I put them in there in the beginning and let them cook with it.
If it's sauce for pasta or something, I generally brown them with some olive oil or butter, then I put them in the sauce.

Back