How do you guys approach and test a max?

AR6

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A few days ago I hit 405 for 9 reps on the deadlift. Not dropping the weight and leaving on the floor. According to Wendler's calculator that gives me a max of 515. If I consider that 9 reps about 80 or 82% that makes it about 500. I really wanna hit 500. So much I left for a week later a little competition I talked about in here a little while ago.
I have tested maxes before but I would like to receive some advice because it will be all or nothing here and I don't wanna fuck it up.
Some people try adding 8% in the last warm up sets, that are actually singles.

Would this be fine?

290x2
355x2
405x1
455x1
500x1-new max

??
Or maybe the 405 make it a bit lighter? (and the ones before too). I know I cant look at powerlifting as a reference since it will be different. I wont squat and/or bench before. I just wanna finally pull the 500.

I think you're over thinking it. Just go in there and lift something heavy off the ground.

Before, whenever I got a big deadlift PR, I didn't usually plan it. Everything just felt right during the warm-up so instead of doing a work-set, I did a PR.

But what you have there is fine.

Wendler says to just do the 5/3/1 week, don't go for reps on the top set, and then go for a max.

Wendler says to just do the 5/3/1 week, don't go for reps on the top set, and then go for a max.

I dont do the 5/3/1. I just saw what I got in his calculator. But does he mean that If I had a workout set with let's say, 440, then I must hit 1 rep and that should be the last warmup?

I dont do the 5/3/1. I just saw what I got in his calculator. But does he mean that If I had a workout set with let's say, 440, then I must hit 1 rep and that should be the last warmup?

Well if you really felt the need for another warm-up set, like 470, that would be fine. But it's a balance, you want to be warmed up, and get the CNS used to some heavy weight, but you don't want to tire yourself out.

Wendler perscribes testing maxes that way because it means you still get your work in for that day. Ie. not giving up a day of training to test a max...which may not work so well if you're not doing 5/3/1.

If you've done 405 for 9 freakin' reps, I bet you could pull more than 500.

Anyhoo, your plan looks okay as the second half of your workout. Here's what I'd do beforehand...

Two days before -- no back work, grip work or squats.

One day before -- no lifting, just eat big, drink a lot of fluids and get a good night's sleep. Get your equipment together (belt, chalk, shoes, portable stereo, etc.)

On the day of -- over and over, visualize yourself pulling 500. Work up a real zest for your workout session. Eat every 2-3 hours, stop eating a couple hours before you lift. Drink lots of fluids.

Warm up -- Walk or jog for about 15 minutes. Work up a sweat.

Deadlifts --

Bare Oly bar (45 lbs.), 10 reps for a couple of sets
115 lbs., 5 reps, 1 set
155 lbs., 4 reps, 1 set
195 lbs., 3 reps, 1 set
245 lbs., 2 reps, 1 set

Then pick up with your plan at 290 lbs.

Also, I would wait 3 minutes between warm-up sets up through 290, then 5 minutes after that. For PR attempts I've always found it helpful to wait so long that I start to feel impatient for the next set.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.:D

For most lifts I like to bump it 20lbs every attempt, after I do a very easy warm up and my previous max attempt. Although that could wear you out on deads, so maybe 30 or so pounds per jump.

The point is, you want to come in warmed up, but not fatigued. Choose jumps that are gonna work for you.

I know a lot of people don't like to make big jumps, but I don't see a major problem with it. Here is what I did on my last Deadlift max:

Warmup
Jump Rope + Light Heavy Bag Work: 10 minutes
Power Cleans: 135 lbs x 3, 165 lbs x 2, 195 lbs x 1

Deadlifts
225 lbs x 5 (DOH warmup)
295 lbs x 3 (DOH warmup)
345 lbs x 1 (DOH warmup)
405 lbs x 1
495 lbs x 1 (+5 lbs PR)

A lot of people think it's crazy to jump 90 lbs, but I'm already good and warmed up. If I went and did 445 lbs or something like that, I'd lose some energy. I would not do solid pulling 90% of my 1RM prior to a 1RM attempt.

This is how I've done my PR's the last few weeks (deadlifts, weights in kg):

10 * 40
6 or 8 * 80
6 * 100
4 * 120
1 * (PR-15)
1 * PR

I typically do percentages of my original max until I reach 100% doing a 5,4,3,2,1,1 rep scheme throughout my percentages to the max then once I do my original 100% I do 1 rep going up incrementally until I reach my new max. It works good for me I feel good and warmed up and loose. I lift good like that.

I don't know, I'm very different in lifting than others - if I could do 405 9 times, I'd probably pull like 660 x1 lol, so what I write might not be very useful. Anyway, I like to keep the last rep before pr at under 90% of the attempt, do some short activity before training, like jogging very slowly for 5 minutes, but not walking - point is I don't do that great on 1rm attempts when the only activity I've done that day was walking or sitting in school. I think it's also good to do at least one set with a lot of reps as warmup, even something like 220 x 10 would be enough.

Here is what I did when I went for a new deadlift PR in August. I started with 5 minutes of jogging on the treadmill followed by dynamic stretching. Then...

135x8
185x5
225x3
255x2
285x1
315x1
350x1 (+15 PR)

In general I like to work up to 80% for 1 or 2 reps then a single with 90% before going for my new max (the percentages being of my new attempted 1RM, not my old one).

I'm a fan of smaller jumps, because even if you fail at your new PR attempt, if your jumps are small enough, you are still getting work in above 90% of your 1RM.

I have found the charts in this article to be a helpful guideline

T NATION | How to Warm Up for a One-Rep Max

Thank you. I followed that. It actually looks kind of like what I was planning on doing.
I took the advice, went in and got on the stationary bike. Riding pretty normally, 70 rpm. I completed a mile in like 7 mins.
I went to the weight room and starting doing just a bit of dynamic stretching to touch the harmstrings since the bike is mostly quads. Deadlifted the bar a few times and loaded with 175.

175x6
235x3
295x2
Resting 2 mins
355x1
Resting like 4 mins
405x1

A guy that I see and say hi to saw I was going up in weights and he decided to move from his usual 1/8 squats with 405 to 1/16 squats with 495. He asked me for some help. It was embarrasing. I was concentrated in doing my 500 so I was in no mood to tell him that moving 495 for 3 inches when his real squat is probably no more than 275 is not impressive, not helpful and actually dangerous.

5 min rest
455x1

It felt a bit heavy but as soon as I did it I noticed it went up fast, even though it felt heavy. It still is like 90% so yeah, it has to feel heavy.

500x1!!!!, PR

Best lift ever for me. Im happy as hell. Finally. I remember when I was trying to get 405 and the first two occasions I tried I couldn't and felt so sad. This makes me feel good and it confirms that with hard work you can do anything. Next goal: 600.

Lesson: Warm up a bit, dynamic stretch a bit. Rest like 2 mins between the warm up sets with up to about 60%, then gradually start resting more. After the last single before the max rest about 10 mins.

Last edited:
Great work. Nice round new PR's are always a great feeling!

Nice work. Now onto the competition vs. the Crossfit dudes.

Back