How do you go about analyzing a judo or bjj technique ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kalma, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

I use to do more of a TMA and after class I'd come home and write the technique down. I kind of developed myslef a system where I'd watch the feet first then the hands and then mesh the two together. I'd spend the next week working through the footwork of it, then the next week the hands and then combine the two. After that I'd start looking for ways that made the technique feel better for me and hopefully more effective. In class I'd listen out for the instructor giving tips and advice to others and then go home and add these to my notes. So for example a slight changing of the angle of my hand in a technique may make it easier or more effective to perform.

But with Judo/BJJ Im stuck as to what to look for. As a beginner are there basic things you would suggest to start looking out for ?

I often wonder what would happenif the perosn done this or that, but in class you dont always have time to try variations and see what works and what doesnt and why it doesnt.

Out of class I dont have a training partner so anything done has to be in shadow form (At the moment I can only use my legs anyway, my upper half is bung)

I guess Im one of those people that likes to analyze the technique and break it right down. I want know why it doesnt work in certain ways and why other ways work etc.

Maybe I look to much into it but I think it'sfor the better. I think its beneficial to have an intructor who explains and shows a wrong way and why it doesnt work. Mistakes are great to learn from.

So I guess my question is how do you/what's your way of analyzing a technique?
    Do you take it home and imagine different scenarios and how it would or wouldnt work ? Try them on the neighbours dog ?

2. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

I'm the type of person that has to visualize it in my mind.. So in class I'll try to remember all the small details like grips and what angle to be at. That way when I'm at home I can kind of run my own little simulation in my head. Or jotting down the technique and going through every detail. Thats only when I have time though.

3. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

When I am analyzing techniques, I write down a rough outline of the move. Then I do a rough outline of what the major parts of the body are doing and how they are moving, hips, arms, lets. I try to figure out what the specific goal of the technique is and where the leverage points are in the technique (ex. armbar has the goal of hyperextending the arm at the elbow joint).

Then, later on, I go through the technique and rip it apart, asking questions about everything I can find to ask questions about. Why put my hand there, is there a better spot for my hips to be, why does my foot go here, etc...

This kind of thing helps with really breaking down techniques for me and finding a better way to do an old technique or figuring out if there is a better solution for a situation. Techniques are just ways of accomplishing a specific goal, imo.

4. Simonsimon

Simonsimon White Belt

You need to focus on the purpose of the technique and why you should do the technique in a certain way. Then it often becomes obvious how you should do a technique.

So; try to first make a rough picture of the technique and what your goal is, then you start analyze mor details and remembering them in terms of their specific goals.

Example:
    In crossbody (side control) you shouldn't try to remember that you should put your knee to his hip but instead that you should block his hip with your knee and therefore it's placed to the hip (if you use that kind of sidecontrol).

Learn the purpose and the techniques gets more obvious.