How do you get "sticky" in BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SAMURAI SPIRIT, May 11, 2014.

1. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

Some guys have the style of BJJ where they stick to you like they are attached to you. They give you no space and still start crawling on you like they have snake like scales on their bellies. How do you practice a skill like that?

2. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Instead of focusing on squeezing or applying pressure, focus on having as much of your body connected to your opponent as possible.

Case in point: Crossface from top half guard. Don't worry about squeezing his head. instead focus on having every milimeter of your shoulder attached to your opponent, like you're attaching a LEGO piece from his ear down to his collarbone. Even an inch of space is too much.

Your opponent will squirm like a normal person, but instead of squeezing or holding him down try to have your shoulder follow his head movement. Wherever he goes, stay next to him and don't lose the connection. It is a game of sensitivity and timing, not of strength and pressure.

You do this with every part of your body. Use your own knees, hips, rib cage, inner arms and hands to make connections with your opponent with at least one of your feet driving off the floor.

The favorite way for me to explain the feeling is cupping water in your hands. You are not using strength. If you squeezed you would lose the water and your fingers would get tired. Instead, you are simply keeping your fingers flush against each other. It takes focus, but not power. Once you "master" this concept, staying attached to someone is pretty easy.

3. flyingnecklock

flyingnecklock Brown Belt

Great post!

4. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

do not be stiff on top.

for example, on the side control, some people get too stiffed and squeeze and try to hold the person down.

It is the stiffness that makes easier for the bottom person to reverse the position.

If the top person was just like a wet carpet on top, it is way harder to muscle out.

5. Estebanantonio

Estebanantonio Green Belt

Good explanation. Some people get confused between squeezing hard and being tight eliminating space.

6. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 Green Belt

Beautiful analogy and insightful post. I'll be stealing this to explain pressure to my training partners in the future.

7. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

What Calibur said.

Connection and sensitivity is the key. Use your whole body as much as you can.

8. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Make sure when you drill moves in class that you work on applying pressure and staying tight. I'm always a little bemused when people run through moves without trying to do them tightly and with pressure. Pressure and tightness are skills that need to be practiced just like any others.

9. ganssle

ganssle Blue Belt

Well done Caliburman.

TS, definitely heed these words. It's about constant connection to your opponent which will ultimately feel like that nonstop ultra-heavy pressure.

10. almann1979

almann1979 Orange Belt

This is a great thread - very helpful to me as it definitely addresses one of my many problems.

Lechien - can i ask you to expand a little on what you wrote here please, im just trying to get it straight in my head.

I have always been told to bring my knees in to the body (and hand to the hip) when I am in side control - which brings my hips a little further from the floor and stops me from acting like the wet carpet you described.

Is there a way to keep the knees in tight, and still lay heavy like you describe? Or am I doing it wrong, do i need more of a sprawl type side control with my hips lower? Or
    are those two positions good - but have different uses (and if so- what are they)?

Thanks
    AL

11. Bjoern

Bjoern White Belt

Forget about pulling and learn how to push.

Forget about using strength from your arms but from your Dantien

Learn about your own posture and breathing......

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Yes, you spread your knees outwards like you are doing a butterfly stretch, sinking your hips down. On a leg that's knee in (which can be one, both or neither), good guys will often have the inside of their foot flat on the floor.

P.S. For example:
    [YT]Hw3bTRkesFs[/YT]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  13. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

[​IMG]

14. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Damn son that's deep.

/Woah-keanu.jpg

15. SUPERGRAPPLER

SUPERGRAPPLER Purple Belt

I like how you broke this down. It paints a perfect picture for me. Thank you! :)

16. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

Great post. Very nice responses. But here is the issue:

I have experienced stickiness from the top where pressure is my friend and not the other guys. Some people can be sticky from the bottom to the point where even to lift your arm you are lifting them up.

I roll with this skinny guy that I call "GLUE." If he gets under you you will be glued to him for as long as he wants. He will give you no space to move anything! There are some others like him too. It is a unique style of BJJ that can cripple stronger guys with better techniques simply by "space-denial" sort of a thing.

17. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Be like tar or quicksand, solid when your opponent is still, but liquid when he does.

Basically flow.

18. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

I love this analogy and have used it conversation before - I remember you using this to explain why squeezing power was not needed for a strong rear naked choke.

I like your explanation of the crossface as well. I tend to find myself explaining to people who ask me how I feel so heavy for a lightweight that it's not because I can squeeze really hard, but because I'm just focusing on putting my shoulder in the exact right place and keeping it there.

19. Floki

Floki Blue Belt

those snake like scales are probably a fungul infection, id avoid rolling with those guys

20. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Thousands of hours on the mat. I've been called things along the lines of what you're saying, which I take as compliments although I'm really nothing special in BJJ, but to the extent that I stick to people when grappling, nobody taught it to me, and I never practiced it. You grapple for a long time, making the same motions, and your motions become more seamless with less gaps in transitions. You have less wasted movement, and there is less space in your holds and positions. And then it's like you're sticking to the guy.