How do you feel about the Korean dog meat market/trade

People don’t seem to see the difference between a domesticated animal created to be companions and livestock created for consumption. The cultures that do eat them have huge portions that are against it, and find it unnecessary and trashy. The way the Chinese do it is disgraceful. The amount of food borne illnesses in China and countries that eat weird shit is a concern for the CDC.

prioritizing one animal or another is a bit arbitrary. I wont eat dog because my culture has created a certain affection for them. That said, I tend to avoid foods that arent raised humanely. If we are going to breed animals to kill, perpetuating suffering and reducing them to a commodity is an ethical issue for me. You can show respect to something you plan to kill.

People don’t seem to see the difference between a domesticated animal created to be companions and livestock created for consumption. The cultures that do eat them have huge portions that are against it, and find it unnecessary and trashy. The way the Chinese do it is disgraceful. The amount of food borne illnesses in China and countries that eat weird shit is a concern for the CDC.
this is something I consider. Are dogs domesticated in such a way that, even if you have "happy meat" dog farms, is their own psychology the same as a cow, lamb, goat, or chicken? Dogs obviously respond to humans in really particularly sensitive ways... at this point is this inherent?

You were so close to making a point that wasn't overtly racist

I'll pretend you cited the uncooked meat and raw seafood customs of international food cultures

I'll pretend you brought up issues with lack of preservatives or curing habits in protein storage for vendors from country to country

I'll assume you mentioned meat sources that come from pesticidal environments and other environmentally unsound sources like heavily polluted water sources and grazing in high pesticide areas which gets increasingly common with less modernized communities and poorer old-world industrial communities

And we'll all pretend @Swoliosis said it's because foreign china people eat weird china stuff

What a meanie

I'll pretend you cited the uncooked meat and raw seafood customs of international food cultures

I'll pretend you brought up issues with lack of preservatives or curing habits in protein storage for vendors from country to country

I'll assume you mentioned meat sources that come from pesticidal environments and other environmentally unsound sources like heavily polluted water sources and grazing in high pesticide areas which gets increasingly common with less modernized communities and poorer old-world industrial communities

And we'll all pretend @Swoliosis said it's because foreign china people eat weird china stuff

What a meanie
The Charles Barkley face was meant to say ‘turrible’

Saw an article about this again today, with the Olympics going on and all.

What are your thoughts on this? I know theres a lot of gitter dun hunters on this forum that love to kill them animals. Should dogs be held to a higher standard?

This personally gets my blood boiling.

There is no doubt that cow is on a higher level than a dog and people eat cow. Pathetic. Eating meat is pathetic.

Last edited:

What a meanie

Well I didn’t get as specific as you due to TLDR....but, um, yeah....what you said. And if you find the word “weird” racist...well in NY, they found Chinese smuggling a type of eel/snake hybrid that was making people sick from just handling it. That’s weird, no?

Well I didn’t get as specific as you due to TLDR....but, um, yeah....what you said. And if you find the word “weird” racist...well in NY, they found Chinese smuggling a type of eel/snake hybrid that was making people sick from just handling it. That’s weird, no?

Yeh you're good mate it was all tongue in cheeky

Alongside eels is the added bonus of certain fish being more active disease-carriers than others which is strange but definitely a thing

I don't imagine dogs being a hazardous protein source unless they are sourced from strays and mutts rather than raised like livestock in a controlled environment, which is exactly what happens in those dog meat festivals

Acceptable species for protein sources/consumption is a structural vs post-structural debate if ever there was one, so i quite enjoy the topic

Talk about "assigned" values, holy shit

I’ve had some neighbors with small creatures they call “dogs” that I would eat just to get them to shut the fuck up.

You should post the article. It's a dying market from what I can tell. Most people around my age and younger have never eaten it. It's getting harder to find places where they serve dog meat.
I'm personally against for how they tend to treat the animals. Plus it doesn't taste that great anyway.

I thought Banchan said there is zero dog market and if there are its the Chinese and Fililinos bringing it.

Their country their rules too bad if it is done dirty and the dogs suffer bad. But no doubt the cows and chivken suffer to an extent.

I just hope when they butcher them they use a stun gun. So to limit the pain.

Pigs are smarter than dogs. Where's the outrage machine for killing and eating them?

It's not only about intelligence. It's about the connection dog and and man has built for thousands of years that today gives us herding dogs, seeing eye dogs,bomb finding dogs,dogs that find humans lost/trapped,dogs that save drowning people,fire dogs,police and military dogs,etc. Hell there's even dogs that can detect cancer in people.
Not to mention the integral part of our family they've become.

When was the last time you saw a pig save someone from drowning ?

Alongside eels is the added bonus of certain fish being more active disease-carriers than others which is strange but definitely a thing

I don't imagine dogs being a hazardous protein source unless they are sourced from strays and mutts rather than raised like livestock in a controlled environment, which is exactly what happens in those dog meat festivals

Acceptable species for protein sources/consumption is a structural vs post-structural debate if ever there was one, so i quite enjoy the topic

Hmmm, assigned values ? You mean to say there is no difference in the relationship man has made with dog for thousands of years partnering together for survival and our relationship with cows other than what people "assign" to themselves ?

Dogs have set themselves apart from other animals as our partners for thousands of years. It's a fact.

The argument that says it's no different to eat a cow than it is to eat a dog is absolutely not valid at all.
We have thousands of years of history to dispute that clearly.

If you say you have a problem with the Korean dog market but you buy meat from the store, then you’re a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

That’s fine. We’re all hypocrites in one way or another. But participation as paying consumers in the factory farm system is at odds with what so many people claim as their values—yet it doesn’t at all stop them from continuing to financially support the system.

Back