How do you feel about the current state of the sport?

Feeling a little ambivalent.

The concept of thoughtful rankings and matchups is pretty much out the window. The #13 middleweight on a 5 year losing spree is fighting for the title seemingly apropos of nothing. The featherweight champion is re-matching the #5 lightweight.... at welterweight.

No disrespect to female fighters, but I don't follow WMMA, its just not enjoyable to me.

You have to hop from Fight Pass to FS1, FS2, then PPV to watch a big event. There is still no all inclusive over-the-top package, which is absurd in 2016. No variable pricing on PPV either - so a stacked card is $60, and a lackluster even it $60, so we end up with a few tent pole monster PPV's throughout the year and majority are largely ignored.

The state of MMA journalism is Luke Thomas doing mental gymnastics about racism and Ariel Helwani doing his version of TMZ. Both are low common denominators in quality and cover ancillary topics ad nauseam because they rely on clicks to survive.

Reebok has been a nightmare, no fans want to wear the stuff and the fighters are paid peanuts for it.

Some of this is easily fixable with a course correction, I'm just doubting the worlds largest Hollywood talent agency is going to manage this back towards sport and away from entertainment.

if I were Dana I'd ban the whole mmafighting.com crew. All scumbags

Strip belts from new champ who dont wanna fight #1s

and go back to sponsors. Not like he didnt reap more than fighters in the first place because they had to pay UFC and fighter.

I'm worried . Not gonna lie.

I can see the day that the UFC just gets Justin Beiber and some other douche to train for a couple months and puts it on PPV.

Would blow any McGregor card out of the water.

That scares me.
Yeah but then we could see Beiber get slaughtered in a legal fight, that would be awesome!

I'm ok with the selling of the UFC, the testing, the legends getting old, because there will always be new guys. I don't just watch because of favorite fighters, there will always be new favorites, as long you watch the sport itself and not just tune in for your chosen few.

But I hate the Reebok situation and the fact that champions are able to pick fights that have nothing to do with a ranking system/to do with who deserves the next shot the most. Takes away from being able to call it a legitimate sport.

Strip belts from new champ who dont wanna fight #1s

and go back to sponsors. Not like he didnt reap more than fighters in the first place because they had to pay UFC and fighter.

Agreed.

Back