How do you feel about swearing in front of your children?

I don't really swear, but my wife always tells my daughters (7 and 3) to never repeat the words that they hear daddy say when he's watching football.

My dad never got angry when I was a child except for one time on the boardwalk this guy kept cursing in front of me and my siblings.

My dad asked him to stop and he ignored my dad so he jacked the guy up against the wall.

It was pretty beastly.

I don't really understand the need for swearing. Sure, it made us feel cool as teens, but as mature adults it's unnecessary in most environments.

This. If you curse too often, it loses its importance when you actually want to emphasize something.

Its called class to try and refrain from swearing in front of children.

I'm a sailor, and I curse like one, but I can turn it off when home with my kids or out in public.

This. If you curse too often, it loses its importance when you actually want to emphasize something.

Yep. I used to threaten guys with "If you don't stop doing that I'm going to swear at you!" It was that big of a deal to me. :icon_lol:

Slightly off topic, but why do people react so horriby to the word "c*nt"? It really cuts through a conversation in an almost time stopping way for some.

I don't know, it's the equivalent of calling someone a dick, so...

How do I feel about it? Terrible. Just fucking terrible.

I try not to do it (use profanity in front of my children). Kids repeat what they hear (even if they don't understand the meaning), and there is something unappealing to me in hearing a 4 or 6 year old dropping F bombs or using vulgarity.

Two words - ear muffs.

I swear all of the time and am very good at it. Know your audience. Swearing in front of kids is not cool.

Kids is people to, guys.

i cuss in front of my 11 yr old cousin and he cusses too...its funny...but he only does it around me or his dad...

around my 2 yr old nephews, i dont cuss at all....and i dont cuss around my grandma

The idea that a word is "bad" or "wrong" is ludicrous. Be a man for fucks sake. Say whatever.

"Swear words" may be the very silliest and most inane of our taboos, but it'll never-the-less be rather annoying for both you and your kids if they get into the habit, and start doing it where they're expected not to.

Apparently, at one point I'd really got out of the habit of swearing. At one point something went wrong with a project and friend and I were working on and I threw out a curse. Didn't give it any thought at all, but apparently this friend had never heard me curse before in the extensive time we'd spent together, so much so that she called another friend, who had also never heard me swear. They were both worried about my state of mind. When I found out about it, I thought it was hilarious. I'd never made any active effort not to swear, but as I said, apparently I just got out of the habit.

Small kids don't need to hear it. They will get it at school any way, so we try to set a good example. I don't want my 4 year old cussing.

My 15 year old is off the hook though. As long as she doesn't drop the F bomb I am pretty much ok with her saying 'Shit' or 'Bitch' or similar.

One of the things I was always taught, and what I taught my 15 year old was, what you say amongst your friends is fine, just don't swear in front of other adults, because it reflects poorly on us.

I probably wouldn't swear in front of my kids, but I'm still young. Maybe in 10 years when I think about having kids it will be more socially acceptable.

I don't get the taboo with swearing though. Everyone I know besides my grandparents swears a good amount. All my friends do, my parents and aunts and uncles do, my professors do, random people I see around always are...

It's getting to be more and more socially acceptable which is good because being offended by fuck or shit or bitch or whatever is pretty fucking dumb if you ask me.

i started cussing in grade 4. idk where i got it from, rap music i guess

I try not to but sometimes it does come out. She knows better than to repeat it. When she gets older I wouldn't care if she curse tbh. Well in the right settings at least.

I don't like swearing. I do it way too much though, and need to force myself to stop. I hate how much my coworkers swear because it seems to rub off on me...
I try really hard not to cuss in front of my kids though. 2,4,&8, I'd hate to hear any of them using offensive language. I'm reasonable though, if my kid(s) were to get hurt (more than a little bump or something) and a bad word slips from their lips, I'm going to let it slide. Even my wife (a wholesome prude by some people's standards) told the 2-year old "If you knew how to cuss, I'd let you" when he was in the ER after partially amputating his finger tip at daycare...

I don't swear since I don't see the benefits of doing such. There are other, more refined ways to adress a moron.

I dont do it and if someone does it in front of my son i politely ask them to watch thier fuckin mouth.

Back