How do you feel about saulo ribeiro training

Tapout257

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering how you guys feel about Saulo Riberio's BJJ my best friend goes to a Saulo school being trained by Chris Blanke and he tells me its a hybrid of Gracie and its better i was just wondering as i train in the Royce Gracie style of BJJ

Thanks

Both are BJJ.

Saulo is way more accomplished in BJJ and submission wrestling than Royce.

But they are still both very good.

I was just wondering how you guys feel about Saulo Riberio's BJJ my best friend goes to a Saulo school being trained by Chris Blanke and he tells me its a hybrid of Gracie and its better i was just wondering as i train in the Royce Gracie style of BJJ

Thanks

I've got some friends that roll over at Chris's place and they're all excellent jiu jitsu players. I've met Chris once at a Xande seminar at our club and he seemed to be very personable and had great technique.

Saulo's BJJ is not Gracie JJ but rather an improved style? Hmmm. Food for flaming.

I train under a Machado school and my friend trains under a Gracie school. I noticed when I roll with him that the style we are being taught is a different. For example, the school I attend focuses on butterfly guard and sweeps and the school where he trains focuses on closed guard submission.

We almost like to keep open guard the whole time and work sweeps and submissions for all different types of guards when they almost just want to pull the opponent and trap him between their legs to work that submission.

I also noticed the vast difference in style between the likes of Roger and Kron Gracie and others like Marcelo, Saulo and Viera.

I am wondering if there are some major style difference between the "Gracie way" and other BJJ schools of thoughts.

I trained with Chris one time when I first started and he was the goods. I've heard nothing from people who have ever gone to one of the Riberio's schools.

Saulo Ribeiro is one of the most technical studs out there.

Saulo is a god. The more I train, the more I come to feel that Saulo is right about nearly everything.

Saulo is one of those guys that is constantly thinking about jiu-jitsu and he really gets it. his method of teaching is always enlightening. he also has had an oportunity to train with a lot of people since he was at the top of the BJJ game.

Saulo is the shit, he's getting older so he isn't doing as well in competition anymore, but Saulo is one of my favorite grapplers, and i've heard he is an excellent instructor.

I train under a Machado school and my friend trains under a Gracie school. I noticed when I roll with him that the style we are being taught is a different. For example, the school I attend focuses on butterfly guard and sweeps and the school where he trains focuses on closed guard submission.

We almost like to keep open guard the whole time and work sweeps and submissions for all different types of guards when they almost just want to pull the opponent and trap him between their legs to work that submission.

I also noticed the vast difference in style between the likes of Roger and Kron Gracie and others like Marcelo, Saulo and Viera.

I am wondering if there are some major style difference between the "Gracie way" and other BJJ schools of thoughts.

My school seems very much like yours but my old school was under Royler, so it was very traditional.

The difference is pretty much what you described. Now I much prefer the different types of open guard and butterfly guard, they feel more dynamic than closed guard.

Thanks

I used to train in a royce gracie school. They are not for everyone.

Saulo Ribeiro was one of te head instructors at Gracie Humaita in Rio (Helio's Academy) he is an acclaimed teacher and world champion.

He and Royler Gracie gave my instructor his black belt.

My advice would be to jump on the chance to train with Saulo, look at his lineage, he is a decorated champion and everyone I know that has trained with him has had nothing but good things to say.

i would pick saulo over a royce gracie school any day of the week. Saulo is a product of at least two if not three legendary jiu jitsu practioners (reylson, Royler, and maybe rickson). I don't know who teaches at the "royce school" but royce stopped teaching a while ago and even when he had a school he wasn't there all the time.

It's a no brainer.. Saulo by a landslide victory.

Saulo rocks! As everyone else here has been saying, his accomplishments speak for themselves. Also, he seems to be a first class instructor. It's also worth mentioning that his Judo is also rocks.

If I had the opportunity to train regularly with Saulo I would drop everything and just go. The guy is awesome, super technical, and not only that he is able to really break down moves, tell you how to do them, but not only that he tells you why you'd do them that way, and often times even shows what's wrong with the traditional way some techniques are taught.

His no gi instructional is incredible and he cracks me up everytime he shows any type of sweep. He talks for a while about the technique and then he says, "...and you complete the sweep."

I really have the feeling that Saulo is slowly moving into that period of jiu-jitsu where he will become an incredible teacher (he already is) but become just as known for instruction as for his actual grappling credentials.

Just like Helio said his was like Carlos' Gracie JJ, but improved? :icon_twis

Saulo has trained under Rickson and Royler. I don't think he'd say he trains something other than Gracie jj. He got his black belt under Royler.

Back