How do you feel about Cody Garbrandt?

My initial impression was that Cody edged the second round, but I thought it was very close. When I saw that all three judges and a majority of fans thought Cruz won the round, I accepted their verdict, because given the otherwise lop-sided nature of the fight, I didn't feel it was worth fighitng over who won a close round like the second.

I do think the judge who scored it 48-47 was wrong though. No way the fourth round should have been scored 10-9. That kind of abuse of the ten point must system has been making a hash of MMA judging for far too long.
I agree about the 10-8, but to be fair to that judge, Cody spent a good portion of that round just staying outside of Dom's strikes and not firing back. There was actually a point in that round where I thought the ref might warn him for timidity. That was a round with flashes of very, very high effectiveness. But to Dom's credit, he recovered incredibly quickly. That makes it harder to give a 10-8 than when a guy's on wobble legs for a solid minute or just getting cracked repeatedly. Dom got dropped by 1 punch a couple of times, and he always recovered quick enough to get out almost as clean as possible after eating the shot.

He got cracked a few times and got schooled overall. It stood out as a dominant round, especially compared to the other rounds, so I approve the 10-8.

Actually, I've always argued the scoring number (i.e. the 9 or 8) should be determined by comparing the rounds to each other, not by comparing them to some external criteria for what a 10-9 or 10-8 should look like. It'd be a more accurate, fairer, and easier to use system than the current one.

Love his fighting style and he seems to have his head screwed on right. A nice guy on top of it all....how could you not like him?

I dont like him and hope he gets beat by Cruz in rematch or Dillashaw.

I use to think he was a meathead douche but I've sorta changed my views on him, the fact that he was humble and said nothing cocky towards Cruz in the post fight interview, (he really could have said anything he wanted too after near humiliating Cruz) just goes to show what kind of person he really is, he's not the type of guy who kicks you when you are down, there was some legit bad blood going into this fight and yet Cody didnt have anything bad or cocky to say about Cruz after the fight, most people woulda probably talked mad shit towards Cruz after dominating him like that amidst all the things Cruz was saying about Cody, pretty classyguy, I'm not sure Cruz would have stayed as humble and classy himself had he won

All the necktats talk is kinda funny, i've got many friends with tats and some with pretty ridiculous looking ones yet they're some of the nicest people i know, tats dont equal being a douche/meathead

He's Chael without the charisma.
GIF-Amused-funny-laugh-laughing-LOL-GIF.gif

I went into that liking Neck Tat but wanting my favorite fighter, Cruz, to win.

Cody looked awesome though. Love the way he came out with that sick kid and gave him the belt at the end. Towards the end, I wanted him to win, but I was thinking Cruz might've won the first and second and maybe fifth. I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. Neck Tat deserved it..

In my GOAT opinion, he's not really my cup of tea. However, I appreciate his struggle and the way he clearly cares about that little kid with leukemia. At first I thought that kid was just prop, but it was clear during the post fight stuff that they have a very real connection so, HESPECT.

#GUERNICAbless

I hope TJ knocks him out, but I enjoyed his performance against Cruz.

People hate on him because he has "neck tattoos" like they are some high class CEO of Google LOL.

They wish they could have a job where you can have a neck tattoo and not care.

And they got bullied in school. I never got why people hated Cody, but loved Dom. Dom has to have the most grating and condescending personalities in all of MMA.

Gretat fighter, yes, annoying as hell sometimes, absolutely.

I've accepted him as my new lord and savior. Goatbrandt bless

cant get past the neck tattoo and the shaved eyebrows. one I can take but both together no

If enough people were watching we might have witnessed the birth of the American Conor McGregor.

Everyone I know is stoked to see him fight again.

1. No, I'm not an idiot. Avoid unnecessary insults and focus on making substantive points.

2. Cruz edged the second round. All three judges and a majority of fans gave him that round, but it wasn't by a large margin. It was his best round. Whereas Garbrandt's best round was scored a 10-8 by two judges and a majority of fans. Cruz' win of the fifth is what fans in other sports call garbage time. Winning a round by being a bit busier when you are down on points 39-36 isn't anything to get enthusiastic about.

Actually only 2 judges gave Cruz the second round, but I agree he only won that and the 5th. Clear as day 48-46 for Cody.

Back