How do you feel about Cody Garbrandt?

I thought he seemed a lot less meathead because of the win...was more humble in victory. Good for him. Great performance last night...clear win.

Had him down as a one dimensional fighter, was proved wrong. He's also not as big a douche as I thought.....with the humbleness and respect in victory
This

Not quite blown away, but extremely impressed

Skilled/Entertaining fighter.

Dat neck tat Doe.

I was with you until 48-46...

I had the second for Cody. I'm not one of those "oh that round was close, fuck it, let's just even the score, why not, he's the champ" judges.

I mean it's not wacky to give Cruz the second but it's certainly not automatic. Cody deserved it IMO

But yeah he definitely deserves to be laughed at for scoring it for Cruz. That's a fight you should be able to score even when fucking hammered. Actually, even fucking hammered one should know not to bother scoring the fifth, because Cruz clearly needed a KO

Yeah, I thought the second was close, and have no problem with someone scoring it for Cruz. In the play by play thread I said I thought it was Cody's round. But it was close, and when all three judges had it for Cruz and a majority of the fans, I decided that wasn't a hill I was going to die on.

have been a fan of his skills and story. Dom tried to use his fatherless against him, I see it as a strength. Cody obviously has a great heart and beat tough odds.

He impressed me. His defense, footwork, head movement, counter striking, and power were all on point, and his trash talk and showboating really made Cruz fight unlike himself. I think Dom can take him in a rematch and would have dominated if he wasn't plagued with knee injuries, but Cody stepped up and fought the perfect fight.

Yeah, I thought the second was close, and have no problem with someone scoring it for Cruz. In the play by play thread I said I thought it was Cody's round. But it was close, and when all three judges had it for Cruz and a majority of the fans, I decided that wasn't a hill I was going to die on.
Well, wait, if you think Cody won the second (as I do) then your score should've been 49-45, no? How did you get to 48-46 with Cody winning the second?

He's the type of guy I would never want to be friends with but he sure can fight.

Garbrandt is alright, i hate Cruz more than I like Garbrandt though. I'm a fan anyone who knocks down that point fighter

i am one of the people who heard about cody but never really thought much of him apart from a power striker and boy was i glad to see someone do that to cruz, not because i hate cruz, i think cruz is awesome, but it was also awesome to see someone with the right tools to compete with cruz's style and win.
Neck tats and emotional press conferences aside he definitely seems like a cool guy, especially after hearing his press after, saying yes dom deserves and rematch or he will fight tj if thats what the ufc wants.

I could careless about the neck tattoo. Wasn't for or against the guy before but after his fight last night and his post fight speech and giving that kid his belt made me a fan.

It was amazing that he was that relaxed, that loose in the biggest fight of his life. When he said the cage is his comfort zone, that was just 100% accurate.

Head movement was razor sharp. Him and Aldo are the best in MMA.

I like him, he has a very exciting style, the neck tats and overly bro-ey vibe I could do without.

Very impressed with his performance last night. Real passing of the torch it felt

Well, wait, if you think Cody won the second (as I do) then your score should've been 49-45, no? How did you get to 48-46 with Cody winning the second?

My initial impression was that Cody edged the second round, but I thought it was very close. When I saw that all three judges and a majority of fans thought Cruz won the round, I accepted their verdict, because given the otherwise lop-sided nature of the fight, I didn't feel it was worth fighitng over who won a close round like the second.

I do think the judge who scored it 48-47 was wrong though. No way the fourth round should have been scored 10-9. That kind of abuse of the ten point must system has been making a hash of MMA judging for far too long.

Back