How do you eat your steak?

Gotta cook a good steak extra crispy to really bring out the flavors the A-1 adds. Bought an expensive rib-eye the other day and blackened it up real good then loaded it with A-1. Better than Sizzler but it's still no Denny's though.

*trollface.gif*

Somewhere in between rare and medium rare.

Anyone else see the irony of this thread being front page alongside a thread where a bunch of people are PMS'ing over the horrible treatment of bulls by matadors?

I don't eat steak often, but whenever I did I'd order it medium rare. Mostly because for the longest time I didn't know what the different options were or meant.

Anyone else see the irony of this thread being front page alongside a thread where a bunch of people are PMS'ing over the horrible treatment of bulls by matadors?

Not in the least.

I've recently switched from medium to medium rare.

I really want a steak now.

Medium rare, extra butter.

I went ahead and bought myself a steak and prepared it myself yesterday. All because of this thread. Not restaurant standard but rock sea salt with pepper is good enough.

Project
Wagyu is as good as you can get if you are not in Japan. I do not believe Kobe Beef is exported out to any other country despite high end Restaurants saying so. If they insist, it is Kobe Beef, request for the Certificate which comes with EVERY single Kobe cattle. I doubt they will be able to provide that. :)

That said, high graded Wagyu is unimaginablely good compared to others cattles you tasted. But you have to get the doneness right or it might feel too oily. Ask the waiter to recommend the doneness. I typically eat Medium Rare, but it's really personal preference. Some do go like you mention, Blue rare. But I would recommend to the maximum of Rare if it's the first time you eat this.

FYI:
I haven't eaten Kobe. I have eaten Matsusaka Wagyu in Japan. Other Wagyu I have eaten in my own country cannot be compared. Probably because they are Australian Wagyu, or Wagyu that have been inter-bred with Angus. They are still freaking GOOD.

Meh, wagyu comes with tradeoffs. FIrst off, it's the best marbled beef out there, no question. If you love buttery steaks/roasts, you can't beat wagyu.

The downside is, the distinctive quality of wagyu is fat content, and there is more to tasty beef than fat. Personally, I find that wagyu beef, tender and juicy though it may be, is actually a bit bland in the realm of that distinctive beef flavour. Really well fed angus sirloin is a flavour explosion compared to any wagyu I've ever tried, and that includes honest-to-god Kobe beef in Japan.

Wagyu is awesome, but it's awesome in the way white wine is awesome - in that, good as it is, some people just prefer red, and not because red is better.

Meh, wagyu comes with tradeoffs. FIrst off, it's the best marbled beef out there, no question. If you love buttery steaks/roasts, you can't beat wagyu.

The downside is, the distinctive quality of wagyu is fat content, and there is more to tasty beef than fat. Personally, I find that wagyu beef, tender and juicy though it may be, is actually a bit bland in the realm of that distinctive beef flavour. Really well fed angus sirloin is a flavour explosion compared to any wagyu I've ever tried, and that includes honest-to-god Kobe beef in Japan.

Wagyu is awesome, but it's awesome in the way white wine is awesome - in that, good as it is, some people just prefer red, and not because red is better.

Project 2501
This is accurate. When you are eating Wagyu beef, no matter what breed, it's the marbling we are eating/enjoying. And like my previous post, it might become too "oily" for some people.

Damn, the beef whisperer here!

You are right though. I love a good steak, but the wagyu(maybe?) I had had just too much fat taste in it. I could not enjoy it as much as a good cowboy ribeye.

Back