How do you deal with the nervousness?

bjjfighter91

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like in wrestling im a first year wrestler 103 pounds already had 7 matches 3-4-0 but i cant get the nervousness out completely yet.

I don't know if it is ever all the way gone but doing it more helps. I'm sure by your 10th match it'll be less and more so by the time you get to 15,20,25 etc. Also, realizing that the worst thing that can happen (other than say paralysis) is what, a broken bone? More times than not, worst case is you lose.

Visualization and slow controlled breathing helped me a lot. Mentally take your opponent down over and over and over again using the perfect form of whatever move you choose. Visualize it slow and perfect. I don't remember who said it first, but there's a saying in wrestling that for every shot/firemans/duckunder/standup/switch/half you do on the mat, you should have done it 100 times in your head. You'll always be a little nervous but that's a good thing. I've wrestled off and on for 16 years and I still get a case of the "yawns" before a match.

The visualization will keep your mind focused and the breathing will help calm you down. I'm sure your coach has told you this, but don't EVER walk onto a mat cold. A good warm up in the first step towards victory. Good luck, post your results.

Drink before the match.. lol seriously.. just kidding..

It is really dependent on the person, some people are born to do this type of stuff and NEVER get scared / nervous, but IMO it's natural.

I wrestled for 4 years, and it took about 10 matches to go in without any butterflies.

I've never done wrestling, but I just had my first BJJ competition. I was nervous as hell, I went the "visualization route." It really did help, just be confident and go over in your head what you are doing- build up your confidence and when its your shot, go out and do that. If you run it through in your head enough you'll go out there and set the pace. I know wrestling is much different but I'm sure you could use teh same strategy. Just visualize control

sorry to say, but you've either got "it" or you don't ..... meaning to say, you will be able to handle the pressure well and perform well under pressure or you won't. Almost everybody has some degree of nervousness. The rare "stone cold assasin" type may not. But in general you can make them much better by being really well prepared and practiced. But if you don't have a "competitors stomach" as i call it, then you will be really nervous....I'm kind of in between myself but that hasn't stopped me from being successful on the mat. You just have to live with it. And at times it can be unpleasant.

There is nothing wrong with nerves as long as it doesn't make you clam up. It's easier said than done but try be relaxed & stay focused.

Even the top competitors admit they get nervous before matches, a little bit of nervousness shouldn't matter that much. Anyway in my experiance the nervousness will disappear as soon as you start wrestling

I've found that I'm getting less and less nervous for every match I go.
One trick I employ though is taking a nap before fighting. Don't fall for the trap of standing around jumping up and down screaming for your team mates to do this and that when they're fighting when you're supposed to get ready for your own fight.
Since I'm a heavy I'm almost always fighting last and to shorten the period of nervousness with a nap helps me alot. Might be an individual thing though.

EPT said:
in my experiance the nervousness will disappear as soon as you start wrestling

Thats the same as me. As soon as I step out there and get ready the nerves are pretty much gone! I've had 10 matches, and to be honest Im not usually nervous that nervous on the fight day, I get my nerves the nights/weeks before when Im lying in bed visualizing how things will go.

It only goes away with experience, sorry to say. I was nervous the first time I stepped into a ring for Muay Thai, no more, you just get used to it.

you really weigh 103 pounds? or was that a typo?

(not acting tough, im a tiny guy too, < 140lbs)

Back