How do you deal with people that "fold" during the guard pass?

jimbjj

White Belt
Reaction score
Lately I've been rolling with a lot of people that fold (go inverted with their feet pointed away from you.) How do guys prevent and deal with after it has happened? Thanks for any help. Recommended youtube videos?

I have and give this problem alot. Try doing the regular double underhook pass but instead of just trying to goto side control(which doesn't necessarily work in this situation) try wedging your knee in the space between their legs and torso to land in a reverse knee on belly position. Then once they're flatened out goto whatever top game position you'd like.

take his back!

thanks for the response. I've pondered this idea but was unable to come up with a way to do this any suggestions?
I have and give this problem alot. Try doing the regular double underhook pass but instead of just trying to goto side control(which doesn't necessarily work in this situation) try wedging your knee in the space between their legs and torso to land in a reverse knee on belly position. Then once they're flatened out goto whatever top game position you'd like.
thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Yeah, take the back. Grab him around the waist the same way you would if he were right-side-up (that is, invertedly), get your head sorta by his, and roll diagonally while getting your hooks in. Kinda weird to describe but you should end up in the sitting position, on his back with your hooks in.

check around 5:40 of this vid

Last edited:
If i understand the situation correctly your partner is turning away when you try to pass then granbying back into you? If that's the case, then for the brief moment when he's on his side try to get a seatbelt grip on him (if he's on his left side you want your left arm over his shoulder by his neck). If you guys are rolling in the gi grip his right lapel with your right hand and push it away so that he can't turn back into you. then hand it to your left hand to solidify the position. This also sets up the bow and arrow choke.

If he's rolling back to his knees then sprawl on him and when he turtles and don't let him grip your leg for the single.

I hope I explained that clearly. This kind of stuff is hard to visualize sometimes.

Back