How do you choose your "Fighters"

sometimes I watch fights and don't enjoy them. other times I watch a fight and enjoy it. I like the fighters who put on fights I enjoy.

also appreciate a fighter who can sell himself. if you can cut a promo and give me a reason to tune in I'll give you more of a chance over someone who doesn't cut it on the stick

I start off with a neutral opinion on every fighter and then a combination of their fight performance and antics build my opinion of them whether in negative or positive direction.

I've also found myself becoming a fan of a fighter when he fights a person I already dislike. For example, I became a big Mir fan just because he was a rival to Lesnar who I don't like.

I start off with a neutral opinion on every fighter and then a combination of their fight performance and antics build my opinion of them whether in negative or positive direction.

I've also found myself becoming a fan of a fighter when he fights a person I already dislike. For example, I became a big Mir fan just because he was a rival to Lesnar who I don't like.
This is quite true. I really got a true reapect for Thiago Santos due to his agression and his life story. This dude is legit and I reapect him for that.

I like Jorge now a bit more for taking out Askern. You got some valid points here for sure.

Excitement and sometimes, big underdogs, I guess. Mostly Brazilians, because it's feels closer and easier to connect, but it's kinda random sometimes.

I love some RDA, Do Bronx, Gaethje, Cejudo, Moraes, Barboza, Aldo, Emmet, Luque, Zaleski, Gastelum, Jacaré, Marreta, Cormier, Werdum, Nunes and Bate Estaca.

I'll always root hard for these ones, especially RDA, Gaethje, Aldo and Werdum.

I was always a fan of the guys most respected by their piers aka other fighters.

Look at the respect BJ Penn had in his prime years. He was feared by everyone and held in such a high regard by other fighters and coaches. GSP to this day says his first fight with Penn was his toughest and the best guy he ever fought. When he first retired he had a damn heros welcome by everyone in the sport.

Anyone, anytime, anywhere. He looked like a damn Hawaiian flight attendant and then would go in and kick the absolute shit out of people.

Masvidal is another guy like that. He's respected by everyone. When Robbie lawler is your fan you are on the right track. People respect him because he's real and if you disrespect him you are going to know it. Doesn't hurt that he's become a human highlight reel.

Robbie is another. Respected by every fighter, coach and journalist in MMA. Doesn't matter who you are you are going to watch a Robbie fight and root for him everytime.

Lastly Holloway. He's identical to the others above and even more down to earth. Guy moves up a weight class and guts out some of the hardest punches ever at lightweight. Doesn't take so much as a step back. He held his own against a much bigger Dustin in a FOTY where Max hurt him bad during some moments.

What happened when he lost the fight? Even after all that damage and how grueling the fight was Max had the classiest interview of the year. Walks into the back and before he even goes to his locker room to recover he goes to Dustins and gives him the gloves from their fight so Dustin could auction them off for his charity

Mostly in cage for me. If the phony character role playing thing interested me I'd watch WWE instead.

Pace and Place.

Up until a decade or so ago; I favored guys who could dictate where a fight took place. Whether it be dominant TD's and top control; or a stand up fighter with super TDD or great get ups.

Over the last decade that has changed a bit. I now favor pace above all. Guys who have figured out how to weaponize cardio who have absolute confidence that they will win that war of attrition.

Some of the guys on my list are cringe as they get. But they're real easy to find once the cage closes.

Ferg, Colby, Max, Frankie, Gillespie, is a sample of my current list. They don't all push the pace the same, but they all push the pace.

Exciting fighters who are confident enough not to be an arse all the time, so the opposite of people like Ronda/McTapper and others like them.

Wellroundedness, ability to win via KO/TKO or sub, no fake douchieness or religious mumbo jumbo.

Fan of Askren since college wrestling days

Dominant fighters that either don't duck anyone or just go in there and give a great show win or lose. My favourite fighters generally leave it all in the cage or give highlight reel performances.

First thing I do is scream "Mortal Kombat!!!"

But seriously, many of my favourites are fighters who have proven me wrong

facial symmetry and and number of followers on Twitgram

I'm generally not a fan of shit talking, so my favorites tend to be a bit more quiet. Sometimes, I become a fan right off the bat, sometimes, a fighter will grow on me. There's a lot of different criteria, not all of my favorites tick the same boxes.

In-cage/ring personality matters to me, wrestlehumpers are void of that so I don't end up being huge fans of those guys most of the time.

by legit technical skill and toughness to keep going even when gameplan isnt working

Back